exporting cars

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

stephen elaine will become famous soon enoughstephen elaine will become famous soon enough
Wink exporting cars

Could anyone tell me if it is worth taking a 4x4x to Oz or sell and buy one in Oz
my OH has a freelander (paid for) done 8k 2 yrs old full spec is it worth the hassle of exporting what costs are involved?we will be transporting furniture any way so do we get a bigger container for the 4x4 and what would a new 4x4 freelander cost once we get to Oz. Any views would be appreciated.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:23 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exporting cars

Originally Posted by stephen elaine
Could anyone tell me if it is worth taking a 4x4x to Oz or sell and buy one in Oz
my OH has a freelander (paid for) done 8k 2 yrs old full spec is it worth the hassle of exporting what costs are involved?we will be transporting furniture any way so do we get a bigger container for the 4x4 and what would a new 4x4 freelander cost once we get to Oz. Any views would be appreciated.
Most of us who have looked into this will tell you no its not worth it. Reasons:

the Australian car industry is highly protected with import duties and regulations.

Consider the influence on 2nd hand values (of what they call grey imports) and car insurance/registration. Even if the model is more highly spec'd it will be lower valued because of the local market.

There is plenty of 4x4 to choose from over here and many come with loads of specs if you buy 2nd hand (after someone else has paid the premium)
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

stephen elaine will become famous soon enoughstephen elaine will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: exporting cars

Thanks For The Information Bear You Have Just Put That Idea To Bed