Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exporting car to NZ

Exporting car to NZ

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Minx is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Exporting car to NZ

We are seriously thinking about shipping our Nissan 200SX over to NZ later this year (need to sell house first....hurry up!).

Main reason for shipping is that the car is fantastic and no bugger here in UK wants to pay good money for it....what is going on?

So checked out shipping - looks simple, but then read about the process and it feels like you need a degree in red tape. Does anyone have experience of this, did you use an agent and is it really that difficult?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exporting car to NZ

Hi Minx,

There are things you need to consider... Get a quote from www.karmanshipping.co.uk - they'll email all the info you need, I imagine they'll handle the paperwork side of things.

They quote around £1200 for a sole use container, less for roll on/off.

Gra..
Old Aug 19th 2003, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Gra.B
Hi Minx,

There are things you need to consider... Get a quote from www.karmanshipping.co.uk - they'll email all the info you need, I imagine they'll handle the paperwork side of things.

They quote around £1200 for a sole use container, less for roll on/off.

Gra..
Thanks I did get a quote from them, they seemed the best for shipping cars and you are spot on around £1200 for the container. But they don't do the paperwork side, they merely give you a list of things to do and provide you with agents details, still might check out their costs and then decide.

I hope you get to Dunedin in December, sounds a great place. Hoping for Hamilton in December too......fingers crossed!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Minx
I hope you get to Dunedin in December, sounds a great place. Hoping for Hamilton in December too......fingers crossed!
Thanks, December may be a tad optimistic! We'll also just be waiting for the house sale but not on the market yet, things to do still!

Anyway, a few more months won't hurt..

Had another look at the stuff they sent, it's probably not as bad as it sounds although the costs will soon mount up. You also need to look at the frontal impact thing, don't know much about it as our car doesn't need it.

Gra..
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:33 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Minx
We are seriously thinking about shipping our Nissan 200SX over to NZ later this year (need to sell house first....hurry up!).

Main reason for shipping is that the car is fantastic and no bugger here in UK wants to pay good money for it....what is going on?

So checked out shipping - looks simple, but then read about the process and it feels like you need a degree in red tape. Does anyone have experience of this, did you use an agent and is it really that difficult?
Don't forget - you'll be liable to pay GST on 50% of the vehicle's value when you land, plus all associated costs of re-registering, certificate of road worthiness etc.....it really isn't worth it a lot of the time, especially when Asian produced cars are so cheap in NZ. I took a slight loss on my Yamaha R1 (admittely, only £250 max), but I save way more than that in shipping and GST alone...

Think hard if it's worth it - UK cars may have some differences also, in which case you'd have the same problems as if you'd bought an import in the UK - i.e parts take forever to arrive..no-one wants to service it etc etc....

regards, Rich.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:41 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Don't forget - you'll be liable to pay GST on 50% of the vehicle's value when you land, plus all associated costs of re-registering, certificate of road worthiness etc.....it really isn't worth it a lot of the time, especially when Asian produced cars are so cheap in NZ. I took a slight loss on my Yamaha R1 (admittely, only £250 max), but I save way more than that in shipping and GST alone...

Think hard if it's worth it - UK cars may have some differences also, in which case you'd have the same problems as if you'd bought an import in the UK - i.e parts take forever to arrive..no-one wants to service it etc etc....

regards, Rich.
You won't have to pay any tax on the car if you're emigrating and you don't intend to sell it within 2 years...however, I agree with the rest of your post.

We brought our 4x4 over and then by the time we got it(3 months of hire car) + associated import costs like MAF, registration etc we realised we could get the same car for about the cost of the importing and hire car.

One speck of dirt and you get charged for steam cleaning etc and a fresh inspection.

Get what you can for it in the UK and get one the first week you get here would be my advice.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by JWW
You won't have to pay any tax on the car if you're emigrating and you don't intend to sell it within 2 years...however, I agree with the rest of your post.

We brought our 4x4 over and then by the time we got it(3 months of hire car) + associated import costs like MAF, registration etc we realised we could get the same car for about the cost of the importing and hire car.

One speck of dirt and you get charged for steam cleaning etc and a fresh inspection.

Get what you can for it in the UK and get one the first week you get here would be my advice.
Thanks for the advice. It does seem really complicated but I guess we thought it was worth it. We have since had an agent come back with a price in NZ for the car and it doesn't seem worth it. Maybe plan b will need to come into action!.