Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To export motorbike or buy in Oz??

To export motorbike or buy in Oz??

Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Question To export motorbike or buy in Oz??

Hubs is wanting to buy honda cbr fireblade 900...... not happy, but would it be worth shipping???? To ship been quoted £700 by Crown.

Bike here for 98, 15000 miles. clean, no damage about £2400 plus £700 shipping takes it to £3100....... Is this pricey for a bike in Oz? looked on EBAY but not a lot of choice...

Whats the availability of cbr fireblades?? Do you see a few for sale.. We're looking at Queensland, Bris area.
If he did import, would he be able to sell it without probs being an import??

S-j x

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To export motorbike or buy in Oz??

The main question is will he have trouble selling uk bike in Oz??
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:45 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
The main question is will he have trouble selling uk bike in Oz??
If he's not already had it for 12 months he can't take it anyway (don't quote me)
98 fireblades are not worth much in any country, £3,100 would get a newer superbike in oz.
redbook.com.au has prices for bikes but no 98 blades on my initial search.
Have you rode a 2004 onwards model or any 1000cc jap? they are f*****g wow.
My zx10r did 106 mph in 1st & 191 limited in top with mucho wheelies in between obviously on a track day.

Unless a fireblade fanatic I would consider any R1, any GSXR 1000 as a rival to blade up to 04 model.

PS yes I will come to Phillip Island for a track day
Sim.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Dont push it Simnmax and give him any ideas!!! We will be off to Bris, so way too far from Philip Island (thankfully)

I thought it was too expensive to import, but he's worried that there wont be bikes avialable in said area for budget, he thinks i'm stupid, so i started a thread to prove my point, keep em comin!!

Will check out the link tomorrow, off to bed now to smash up ps3 and CoD game, i might get some sleep then!!!

When's he going back to work, how long does a broken finger take to heal????

nite nite, s-j
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

I was going to Ship my Hayabusa out but found out that it's not worth it. They will charge you an import tax on the bike which is high as they work it out on a percentage of what the bike is worth out here and second hand bikes and cars are a lot more expensive to buy here as well. But new cars and bikes are cheaper to buy. Work that one out .

I ended up buying a fireblade in the end privately which cost me about $6000 and that was a 96 model, but it had low k's and was in mint condition,until i ended up getting high sided at Phillip island and breaking my collarbone
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:40 am
Just Joined

justgothere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Try www.bikesales.com.au as a guide for whats available. The redbook price on a '98 blade is $7,400 - $8,800. So the cost of getting yours here will line up right in the middle. Its the cost of imprtings that will swing it - which I've no idea about, although never heard 'good' stories.

Cheers

Dave
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Aw guys this is really difficult..... checked out the link you gave me and financially with the shipping quote (includes customs and insurance) it seems worth it....

What such conflicting advise??? keep the stories coming to help us make our minds up.....

Didnt think bikes/cars 2nd hand would be as expensive as here in Oz, as new cars are cheaper....

Whats the story behind this guys??

S-j xxx Thanks to all

Hope your collarbone ok now ken-6.............. boys and toys eh??
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:00 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe
Aw guys this is really difficult..... checked out the link you gave me and financially with the shipping quote (includes customs and insurance) it seems worth it....

What such conflicting advise??? keep the stories coming to help us make our minds up.....

Didnt think bikes/cars 2nd hand would be as expensive as here in Oz, as new cars are cheaper....

Whats the story behind this guys??

S-j xxx Thanks to all

Hope your collarbone ok now ken-6.............. boys and toys eh??
Hey if your on Motorbikes come over to Tassie the place is awsome for bikes, Think they even have a bike week i think, Me and my wife will be looking at going to Phillip Island for most of the racing.
Gary and Vikky
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would join ya but will be at Gold Coast hopefully and got 4 kids on tow with no rellies to look after them OMG no babysitters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How old does oldest child have to be to look after siblings in Oz???

We got a 2 yr old? only joking!!!!!!!!!!!1

s-j x

Keep the advise comin, your a very brainy lot!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:55 pm
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Don't be so mean s-j, let him have a new one

Hi Ken-6 how much was the Phillip Island track day? & was it well organised, what time of year was it & finally how was the weather?
At least you crashed on one of the best tracks in the world, my last crash was at Nogaro in S of France, lost front at 175 in wet braking at end of 1km straight, I slid on my arse down slip road for 400 yds while gsxr 1000 did cartwheels over kerbs doh.
The joys of biking eh.

Cheers Sim.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:09 am
karma? You make your own!

adriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant futureadriang has a brilliant future

It's not worth it in my opinion.

You have to apply for an import permit with DOTARS before it is cleared by customs. Probably the shipping company will not let it leave until they have the paperwork. Besides the cost of the shipping, remember that you will need to get it crated so it is safe, when it arrives there is a possibility you will have to pay to have it cleaned (this depends on which side the customs office got out of bed), plus there are import duties, and then there are registration costs with QLD transport.

Getting it registered will involve quite a convoluted process that will include being told a different story by each person you talk to at QLD transport.

I imported 3 bikes, one personal import and 2 old classics. I'm also away for somebody who has been trying for months to got his registered because he has a modified frame.

My advice, buy something here.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:35 am
Just Joined

matteegee is on a distinguished road

I agree with above. I've looked into taking my 2005 R6 and it just ain't worth it. By my calculations it will end up costing a little more than just buying one over there without any of the hassle.

There seems to be plenty of 2nd hand bikes available but you just have to travel a little further to get to them... which isn't a bad thing cos I get to see more places I probably otherwise wouldn't.

But then for me, I want a change of bike anyway. Might get a Gixxer 6 next.

Matt
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:26 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Buy one here, dont import - huge waste of time, effort and money. Wish I never had.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 6:43 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Without doubt buy one here......http://www.teammoto.com.au

http://www.bikepoint.com.au/

http://www.netrider.net.au/

Last edited by >Trigger<; Apr 30th 2007 at 6:47 am.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:11 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

The most important point in this whole situation, is that if you havent owned the bike for at least 12 months. You CANNOT bring it.

Its a costly and time consuming process bringing a car or bike anyway, and after having read many threads about bikes it, its not worth it unless the bike is something really special.