Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expo - Australian Tax Office jobs?

Expo - Australian Tax Office jobs?

Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expo - Australian Tax Office jobs?

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody was recruited by the Australian Tax Office people at the Manchester Expo (October 08)?

My husband was, though we are still waiting for the formal job offer. There have been unforseen delays following the election of the new Prime Minister who is making them review recruitment/budgets etc.

I just thought if there was anyone in the same boat we could moan together

Thanks,
Ren.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expo - Australian Tax Office jobs?

I thought you normally had to be a citizen to work for the federal government. Are they making exceptions?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I thought you normally had to be a citizen to work for the federal government. Are they making exceptions?
that's what i thought...
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I know thats what it says on their website but they do recruit from overseas. If you have skills that they need, and "cannot be found from the Australian Jobs Market" I think its ok. I think they want accountants, auditors and IT people.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RenShen
I know thats what it says on their website but they do recruit from overseas. If you have skills that they need, and "cannot be found from the Australian Jobs Market" I think its ok. I think they want accountants, auditors and IT people.

Thats interesting. might check out what IT jobs they have goign
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:21 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

The Tax office has been given a special dispensation so that they can recruit from overseas.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:54 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
The Tax office has been given a special dispensation so that they can recruit from overseas.
Typical gov't crap. Make one rule for some and another for others......
Obviously they think that us homegrown applicants are apparently dumb.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mairead
Thats interesting. might check out what IT jobs they have goign
http://www.ato.gov.au/careers/pathwa...pc=001/058/001

Good luck!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

sopanick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody was recruited by the Australian Tax Office people at the Manchester Expo (October 08)?

My husband was, though we are still waiting for the formal job offer. There have been unforseen delays following the election of the new Prime Minister who is making them review recruitment/budgets etc.

I just thought if there was anyone in the same boat we could moan together

Thanks,
Ren.
Ren your not the only one! I had the same thing from the London Expo in Nov. Had a phone interview etc all sounded good then nothing. I e-mailed in Jan & was told they are still processing but have lots of people on holiday. Hadn't heard anything since so assumed it was a no go - maybe I'll e-mail them again.
Thanks
Nick
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't think it could do any harm to get in touch again.

We have intermittent updates and when we have not heard for a couple of weeks or so have emailed and received replies. The people handling the recruitment have had a lot of work to do because of government changes and I think they are as frustrated as us.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NikiL

Thats great thanks for the link!!

I wonder if the government jobs are as cosy as they are here in Ireland. A friend of mine got a job for the irish government recently. She asked for x amount in salary and she ended up getting 15k more than she asked for!!! Now that wouldn't happen in the private sector. Plus she gets great overtime pay and 6 weeks holidays a year!!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Well I hope they are better than those in the UK.

I work for HMRC and have a bully for a boss, I am undervalued and we are subject to ridiculous "efficiency savings". They are closing offices all over the country yet staff are locked into their posts, unable to even apply for level transfer jobs. People who have invested 20+ years in the civil service are trapped. To jump ship now could mean losing pension benefits so its a case of waiting for either redundancy (a long long way off) or them sorting out the new look for the department and giving people quality work (equally far away).

Moan over, normal service now resumed