Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Explained: Who is committing crimes in Victoria?

Explained: Who is committing crimes in Victoria?

Old Aug 26th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Explained: Who is committing crimes in Victoria?

Lol Birkenhead quaint...it might of been in the 1800's but certainly not for a long time. I have lived in both AUS and the UK and apart from being chased one time by someome weldimg a knife (during the day, it was in Lynwood WA..) I have had no other experience of a crime nor know of my family or friends (in both countries) to have had a crime committed against them, fortunate I guess.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Birkenhead quaint...it might of been in the 1800's but certainly not for a long time. I have lived in both AUS and the UK and apart from being chased one time by someome weldimg a knife (during the day, it was in Lynwood WA..) I have had no other experience of a crime nor know of my family or friends (in both countries) to have had a crime committed against them, fortunate I guess.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 2:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I quite liked Birkenhead, we'd get the train there sometimes from New Brighton to take the ferry across to Liverpool, or to have a look around the markets. There's quite a bit of new development and infrastructure happening - hopefully the housing conditions will improve for the residents.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have really travelled and I can say in my experience if the far East that KL is vibrant, Sarawak has fabulous scenery, Penang with its history and mixtures of culture for an island is great and Malay food is one of my fav's. Singapore has lost some if it's apeal foye me I much prefer Hong Kong, in comparison I found Sydney a bit boring but enjoyed seeing the bridge and opera house, I liked Melbourne better as it had a bit more culture and felt a bit different to other Aussie cities but then again I enjoyed Canbarra as that was certainly different to other Aussie cities because of its archetiture but for me nothing compares to the countries I have visited on this side of the globe that's not knocking Australia that's just my personal taste, anyiney who has not really travelled if they ever get a chance they should as you may be surprised at what you see and think, plus it's a fantastic educator.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I found Sydney a bit boring but enjoyed seeing the bridge and opera house.
I would too if all I did was see those 2 land marks. You did get out beyond the CBD right? I thought not. Ho ho ho.
Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Just got yelled at (as did many others) by a shoeless man with problems outside Flinders St Station. However, that's the big smoke for you. A good diverse cross section for all.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 12:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

It is still quaint (a bit of it) - sister lives in Oxton village, very nice I'll have you know. I still think Aus is a lot less violent than UK even though son was coward punched and now has titanium in his face (goes with the lot in his collar bone), and I was stopped by three lads in Ringwood: tall one said give me your money, I laughed and said don't think so, and walked on. One of the muppets walked after me swearing away, so after 50M I stopped and walked towards him. Guess what he did? We did it two more times and I got bored.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ouch. Must have hit raw nerve with Malaysia. KL is an arm pit. So is Jakarta. Ho Chi Minh so much better.

Ouch again. Must of hit the raw nerve on your aspirations to leave the most isolated city on earth.

Yes I travel to Europe at least once a year too. Big deal.
Begs the question, if true, why do you present yourself as so unworldly? I'm afraid it just doesn't gel. You don't hit any nerve, don't flatter yourself. But your ignorance is plainly on display for all too see. For starters, KL has grown into a rather sophisticated city over the decades. It is a city, in a country, that I know rather well. For anyone to suggest Malaysia, is the arm pit of Asia, speaks volumes of their ignorance.. In fact even in the years I lived there, it was constantly voted, top or near top destination for ex pats in the Asian region.
Jakarta is nothing, like KL. Nothing at all. That is a city that it is difficult to find a lot to love with, but Java as some really fascinating places outside of Jakarta.

Good to hear your finally making it to Europe. Try not to behave too much the tourist and you may take something out of it.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I would too if all I did was see those 2 land marks. You did get out beyond the CBD right? I thought not. Ho ho ho.
Ho, ho ho. The poster probably did miss Mount Druitt but really not a lot to see. Human misery exists in every city. Punchbowl perhaps? I admit the walks outside are well worth doing but talk about over rated cities. More going on in Antwerp I found a few weeks back, let alone Hamburg.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Mr T - Melbourne or Sydney - overrated - doesn't it depend onwhat people actually DO? If I had a dollar for everytime someone said there was no culture etc
in Australia [whilst they themselves had no, for example, classical training] then I would be a very rich man indeed..

I would suggest many people know nothing about the Arts, or part of the Arts in Melbourne, say, because they are simply not involved...
There are people who move from Melbourne to Europe and back again making a living - and we know the Arts can be brutal...
Surely anywhere depends on what one does surely? If my game is fishing, well surely the smallest of hamlets, however dull for other activities, would maintain the contentment of the fisher whose only desire to a full bag of fish?
On the other hand some desire more. You write of the arts. It stretches far more than purely the arts, but what I have noticed here, is outside a very small circle, even those that occasionally attend rarely discuss the subject. Perhaps Europe is a little too much the other way, partly to do with the education. Middle class parents go out of their way to 'educate' their children with at least an appreciation of the arts.
I have met folk going both ways over time. Not long ago was speaking with a youngish fellow in the creative arts , in a café, that actually moved from Melbourne to Perth. His take was Melbourne has become somewhat staid, having reached a point where creativity is no longer regarded so highly. A few years back met a sculptor who moved to Perth from same city for similar reasons.
But it goes beyond the arts. It's how people relate to one another. Their topics of conversation or takes on life. There is something very missing in 'joie de vie' lacking here.
I could go on, but feel am getting away from the topic of the thread being who are committing the crimes. In my view that shows an ailment in society. Not just crime, but increase in stress levels, anxiety issues leading to the ever growing mental health blow out, in times of self interest and narcissism being too often the governing factors.