Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expired Passport

Expired Passport

Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Daren is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Expired Passport

Hi, my sons passport will need renewed after 5 years(one years time)and just wondered how we will go about this as by then we will be in ozz
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expired Passport

Originally Posted by Daren
Hi, my sons passport will need renewed after 5 years(one years time)and just wondered how we will go about this as by then we will be in ozz

It would probably be easier to get it done before you go. Although you can do it there, but it is more expensive and you may have issues getting your application countersigned.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

dadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant future

My husband submitted his expired passport for renewal 6 weeks ago. It cost in the region of $170.00 - the money went out of the account 3 weeks ago but we still haven't received his passport.

If you chase up the British Consulate in Australia by telephone you get charged $7.00 for the privilege. I would highly recommend you renew his passport before you leave.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:29 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dadpad
My husband submitted his expired passport for renewal 6 weeks ago. It cost in the region of $170.00 - the money went out of the account 3 weeks ago but we still haven't received his passport.

If you chase up the British Consulate in Australia by telephone you get charged $7.00 for the privilege. I would highly recommend you renew his passport before you leave.
Hi, we have had our childrens' passports renewed here in the UK already even though they had 18 months to go as we were told they had to have at least 2 years remaining if emigrating.

Jane
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:48 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJA
Hi, we have had our childrens' passports renewed here in the UK already even though they had 18 months to go as we were told they had to have at least 2 years remaining if emigrating.

Jane
remeber that when applying for a new passport, you need someone who has known you for at least two years to countersign the photograph.... which is why you are recommended to have at least 2 years left before you go - it assumes you have to make all the acquaintances anew.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:05 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Here is your answer. It can easily be done in OZ. My Brit passport was issued here.

http://bhc.britaus.net/default.asp

happy to help
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Daren is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that advice.
We allready have our visas.We carnt change the passport yet as you can only change it after 8 month before expirary date.The passport itself is a 10 year one but as the photo in it is of a 3 month old baby it has to be updated after 5 years.
We will probably change it in the uk if it is possible
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that advice.
We allready have our visas.We carnt change the passport yet as you can only change it after 8 month before expirary date.The passport itself is a 10 year one but as the photo in it is of a 3 month old baby it has to be updated after 5 years.

Just make sure they send your old one back then you don't need to get your visa put in the new one. But you will have to take both with you when you fly.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:59 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that advice.
Once you take out OZ citizenship you should be able to take it out for your child also.

Info:

www.passports.gov.au

or phone (once in OZ) 13 12 32 (a local call charge anywhere in OZ)
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:29 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Just make sure they send your old one back then you don't need to get your visa put in the new one. But you will have to take both with you when you fly.
i was going to ask that. our 4 year old daughter passport expires june 2007. i have asked our agent about renewing, but he said dont bother. prsonally i would feel better if she had a new passport before we go. we havent had our visas issued yet, but near the end, brother just about to go for his AoS interview. if i got her a new passport before the visa was granted, i presume i just send the new passport details to our CO via our agent? if i waited until after the visa grant, i have to take both passports, old and new, to enter australia on a PR? is this correct?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
i was going to ask that. our 4 year old daughter passport expires june 2007. i have asked our agent about renewing, but he said dont bother. prsonally i would feel better if she had a new passport before we go. we havent had our visas issued yet, but near the end, brother just about to go for his AoS interview. if i got her a new passport before the visa was granted, i presume i just send the new passport details to our CO via our agent? if i waited until after the visa grant, i have to take both passports, old and new, to enter australia on a PR? is this correct?

Get a new one now and send your CO a form 1022. The visa will then be put in your new passport. I think it's the best and easiest option myself.

It's funny how different agents give contradicting advice really, mine told us we wouldn't be able to use our passports because they had less than two years on !!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:14 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got my sons passport renewed, sent it to the British High Comission...it took just over 3 weeks to be returned.

We had less than 2 years left on his passport when we travelled to Oz
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely get the new passport before you leave the uk. If you already have the visa in the passport, it's advisable to get it transferred to the new one. One customs officers have great problems understanding why you have a visa in an old passport and not in a new. Some people have been held up for ages whilst it gets sorted. Not the ideal way to start your new life
Old Apr 28th 2006, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

luvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant futureluvit has a brilliant future

We are in Aus, I renewed our sons last Feb (downloaded the forms off BritAus website and sent it to Canberra) got it back in 2 weeks - Just sent old passport plus photos endorsed by someone who has known you for 2 years, we used our doctor, BUT if thats not possible we were told to send the pics to England and have them Endorsed
BUT my hubbys passpost has just expired so I went on the BritAus website today for the forms and the new passports have microchips and cost more typical !! $223.00
Old Apr 28th 2006, 4:26 am
Just Joined

dadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by luvit
We are in Aus, I renewed our sons last Feb (downloaded the forms off BritAus website and sent it to Canberra) got it back in 2 weeks - Just sent old passport plus photos endorsed by someone who has known you for 2 years, we used our doctor, BUT if thats not possible we were told to send the pics to England and have them Endorsed
BUT my hubbys passpost has just expired so I went on the BritAus website today for the forms and the new passports have microchips and cost more typical !! $223.00
There is a current backlog on passports for renewal so the waiting time is no less than 6 weeks, we're still waiting