Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Experiences of initial days in Melbourne

Experiences of initial days in Melbourne

Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:42 am
Just Joined

jumjum is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Experiences of initial days in Melbourne

What are the major difficulties and challenges faced by single people migrating to Melbourne ? I hope to settle in Melbourne and would like to learn from experiences of other migrants. Please ignore issues such as housing and the weather.

I am basically interested in problems such as finding jobs, settling down, making friends of ones age group etc.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:13 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Experiences of initial days in Melbourne

Hi, I don't know about finding a job as my husband already had one to come to and I have decided not to work until after christmas because of friends etc coming out from the UK.

I think making a new network of friends will depend on the individual and your circumstances. I don't have children and so don't have that lead, however, I am very sociable (sometimes too so!) and after being on my own for about 4 weeks I took the bull by the horns and started to talk to people in cafes, the gym etc. Soon found a few people whose social calender wasn't too full and had enough room for more friends! This has led to meeting others and also their partners. However, you do have to bear in mind that not everyone is your cup of tea nor you theirs. You may also find that there is a local expat community set up in the area where you move to and you could try to contact them. There is one in the bayside area of Melbourne but I haven't been in contact with them. This site is also good for meeting people.

I found it a bit unsettling at first and wanted to go back. However after really thinking about it I have decided that it is not home sickness but familiarity sickness. When you are at home you know where to go out for dinner, you know where to shop etc etc. and you don't have to put much thought into it. Gradually I am feeling more settled. One thing I would say though, is to buy lots of shoes before you come - much better selection in the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experiences of initial days in Melbourne

In case you aren't aware of it, also try the BritVics site which is specifically Victorian:

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1

OzTennis