Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

experience of Talent Visa to NZ?

experience of Talent Visa to NZ?

Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Janiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default experience of Talent Visa to NZ?

My hubby might be getting a job that would mean going to NZ under the 'Talent visa' ......anyone have any experience of this??
Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: experience of Talent Visa to NZ?

Originally posted by Janiac
My hubby might be getting a job that would mean going to NZ under the 'Talent visa' ......anyone have any experience of this??

No but I'm sure that NZ could do with some talent.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 3:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the visa that the contestants from Australian Idol missed out on ... talent .
Old Nov 27th 2003, 4:02 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Janiac

Hi there,

This is the route we'd have taken of the wife's job offer had held....

You can go on a Talent Visa through the Perfoming Arts etc, but also if you get a job offer through an accredited employer (there's a list on NZIS site). You have to be paid more than $45,000 p.a and you are tied in, meaning that you can only take up employment with another accredited employer if you change jobs. If you leave employment to go to a non-accredited employer, you'll have to apply for a regular work permit and start the workto residency process over again, providing the NZIS give the ok to the new job offer...It takes about 2 and a half years to get residency this way, and there's no guarantees that the NZIS wont change the rules part way through, but under the new rules, there are few guarantees anyway...

all the best, Rich.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Will he be entering the NZ Pop Idol?
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi there,

This is the route we'd have taken of the wife's job offer had held....

You can go on a Talent Visa through the Perfoming Arts etc, but also if you get a job offer through an accredited employer (there's a list on NZIS site). You have to be paid more than $45,000 p.a and you are tied in, meaning that you can only take up employment with another accredited employer if you change jobs. If you leave employment to go to a non-accredited employer, you'll have to apply for a regular work permit and start the workto residency process over again, providing the NZIS give the ok to the new job offer...It takes about 2 and a half years to get residency this way, and there's no guarantees that the NZIS wont change the rules part way through, but under the new rules, there are few guarantees anyway...

all the best, Rich.
Rich, I haven't read your other posts yet but after seeing this there was no reason to pull out of the job. The rules on this visa have not changed at all as it's nothing to do with Gen Skills..& residence would be gained in the same way after 2yrs.

Is it too late to talk to the employer about it??
Old Nov 27th 2003, 7:59 am
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gra,

The job offer was pulled, not refused.....

Rich.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by theguitardoctor
Hi Gra,

The job offer was pulled, not refused.....

Rich.
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean you refused it.. It's just that you said it was pulled because of the changes but the rules of that visa haven't changed at all. It might be worth talking to the employer again, perhaps they don't realise?
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:28 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gra.B
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean you refused it.. It's just that you said it was pulled because of the changes but the rules of that visa haven't changed at all. It might be worth talking to the employer again, perhaps they don't realise?
It was Rich's wife's job that was pulled. She was going under the general skills visa.

Jane
Old Nov 27th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by JaneandJim
It was Rich's wife's job that was pulled. She was going under the general skills visa.

Jane
Yes, think I'm losing track! When Rich said above they would have gone with the 'talent' policy I just thought there was no reason not to, but I guess this was the plan B..

Oh well, I just feel it's a shame to give up what they've already achieved, it's not too late to turn things around.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:08 am
Life's next chapter is?

Hi there,

The wife would have qualified for a work Visa etc under the Talent Visa route (and thus work to residence). However, the employer was aware that with the job offer then we would have passed the passmark of 29 by several points, thus leading to PR in a few months at a maximum (most are processed quicker), and this is what they were counting on. However, with the Gen Skills PR route closed down, the employer knew this then meant that residency was only achievable after 2 years minimum. This is what disturbed them and led them to withdraw the job offer. I guess it was just the uncertainty of the future...It is a possibility that NZIS could change the criteria when she was half way through the work to residence route, thus rendering us back to square one again...From here, it's really too risky for our future at this point. The NZIS have no clear policies and that's the problem, hence our decision to pull out.

cheers, Rich.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Janiac is an unknown quantity at this point

[i] Pop Idol?
Er....nooo!
Hubby's got a managerial job offer with an accredited employer and they're the one's that told us they would get him in under the talent visa.
I'm a little worried now about the possibility of rule changes after what people have said....couldn't risk moving from here lock, stock & barrel with the thought that we might end up without a residency at the end of it all.

Incidentally for anyone looking for accredited employers.....this one was not actually listed.....so you can't necessarily rely solely on that. He just wrote to a few companies in his field of work on the offchance that they might have vacancies, and 3 turned up!!!!!!

Hmmm...methinks he'd better check out this visa further with the empolyer.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:25 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

The talent visa is exactly what we are going out on - accredited employer, more than 45k per annum etc

I did think - what if they change the rules half way through the two years? but then I thought that a)if they have let you in under this legislation maybe, even if the rules change, they would still deal with you under this legislation and b) if I sit and worry about what might happen in the future that I have no control over we will never go.

Incidentally, some bod who has done it, I am bit confused about where I stand in terms of the visa - there is no section for a 'secondary applicant' on the form.

Does that mean I have to apply for a work to residence visa as well - but I don't have a job offer which kinda shuts that route down for me?

I have looked and looked on the website but nothing seem to explain what happens with a spouse when you get a W2R? If it is automatic, why isn't there a section for my name on the form?
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pollster
Does that mean I have to apply for a work to residence visa as well - but I don't have a job offer which kinda shuts that route down for me?

I have looked and looked on the website but nothing seem to explain what happens with a spouse when you get a W2R? If it is automatic, why isn't there a section for my name on the form?
Hi Pollster,

The spouse & children need to apply for seperate visas. As the main one is initially a 2yr work permit the spouse is entitled to an 'open' work permit allowing any work without needing a prior job offer.

You need to complete a seperate work visa application, tick 'family' & says something like 'partner of work permit holder'..(wording should be clear if you look at the form..)
Any children will need study or visitor visas depending on age, again, seperate applications, but you can lodge them all together before your partner's has been issued.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:27 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Thanks Gra.B - sorted that one out for me - the girl I spoke to at NZIS didn't help at all -she just wanted to get me off the phone ASAP - even though it is a £1 a minute!

£1 a minute!!:scared: