Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

expensive groceries

expensive groceries

Old May 9th 2010, 12:27 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice
Default Re: expensive groceries

Originally Posted by kendalanita
OMG how cheap is that milk and bread - I pay $1.89 for a ONE litre carton of skimmed milk in Alda and only the cheap plastic bread is in the $1 region not the nice staff, we pay $3 for 6 bread buns! I got all excited the other week cos I got some facial wipes 'on offer' - 3 packs for $16 (normally $7 per pack) so I promptly bought some, then sat here thinking - my god I have just paid 8 quid for 3 packs of wipes whereas I used to get 3 packs for 2 quid in Asda - ah well - next trip home guess what will be lining the base of my suitcase!!!! OH was gutted other week, friends rang to say they were having a party got all the booze and stuff, 9 quid for box of Stella and Moet was 18 quid a bottle in Asda on special - party - cheap as chips!!!
"ONE litre carton of skimmed milk in Alda": $1.89

ASDA UK: £0.55 ($A0.92) ASDA UHT Skimmed Milk
Woolies Mawson, ACT: $1.08 Homebrand Milk Long Life Skim 1L (eye-balled)
Woolies Subiaco, WA: $1.37 Homebrand Milk Long Life Skim 1L

I find skimmed milk is poor value relative to whole milk so don't buy it. It's pig slop or material to make cottage cheese; not worth a quarter of what it is being offered for.

Why buy expensive or poor value groceries when cheaper AND better value can be obtained simply by selecting them in the normal course of shopping?
Old May 9th 2010, 12:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AllGoode
"ONE litre carton of skimmed milk in Alda": $1.89

ASDA UK: £0.55 ($A0.92) ASDA UHT Skimmed Milk
Woolies Mawson, ACT: $1.08 Homebrand Milk Long Life Skim 1L (eye-balled)
Woolies Subiaco, WA: $1.37 Homebrand Milk Long Life Skim 1L

I find skimmed milk is poor value relative to whole milk so don't buy it. It's pig slop or material to make cottage cheese; not worth a quarter of what it is being offered for.

Why buy expensive or poor value groceries when cheaper AND better value can be obtained simply by selecting them in the normal course of shopping?
Possibly because those of us who drink skimmed milk all the time think that the higher fat stuff tastes like lard?
Old May 9th 2010, 12:30 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Possibly because those of us who drink skimmed milk all the time think that the higher fat stuff tastes like lard?
Then water would be both cheaper AND higher value for you.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:31 am
Account Closed

Then water would be both cheaper AND higher value for you.
Water on my Weet-bix doesn't look great.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:46 am
Banned

Water on my Weet-bix doesn't look great.
Porridge is both cheaper AND better value as a carbohydrate meal. No need to add sugar (or milk) if you eat slowly; even cheaper AND better value.
Old May 9th 2010, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Aldi is pretty cheap. Is there an Aldi in Perth?

Does Perth have something similar to Paddys or Parklea markets in Sydney? These huge markets are pretty cheap in regards to buying food.

What about a membership warehouse club like Costco?

I would expect Perth to be fairly expensive because anything you don’t grow/make there, has to be trucked in over thousands of kilometres. Just one of the "joys" of living in such a remote location.

We send goods from Sydney to Perth all the time and the expense is huge - which in return the consumer ends up covering with higher prices.

At least you should be able to get some good quality cheapish Margaret River wines – you lucky buggers.

Old May 9th 2010, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

City comparison for you:

http://www.7perth.com.au/view/today-...0090828181500/

If you live in a remote area - you pay more.

And Perth is pretty remote.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Aldi is pretty cheap. Is there an Aldi in Perth?

Does Perth have something similar to Paddys or Parklea markets in Sydney? These huge markets are pretty cheap in regards to buying food.

What about a membership warehouse club like Costco?

I would expect Perth to be fairly expensive because anything you don’t grow/make there, has to be trucked in over thousands of kilometres. Just one of the "joys" of living in such a remote location.

We send goods from Sydney to Perth all the time and the expense is huge - which in return the consumer ends up covering with higher prices.

At least you should be able to get some good quality cheapish Margaret River wines – you lucky buggers.

I think the problem is that people in Perth have lost the ability to shop on price or for value but have an inversely proportionately enhanced propensity for whinging.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:08 am
Account Closed

Porridge is both cheaper AND better value as a carbohydrate meal. No need to add sugar (or milk) if you eat slowly; even cheaper AND better value.
Tell ya what.. you eat like Oliver Twist if you want too. I will stick with what I like AND (capitals for your benefit) I still think full fat milk tastes like lard.
Old May 9th 2010, 1:19 am
Banned

Tell ya what.. you eat like Oliver Twist if you want too. I will stick with what I like AND (capitals for your benefit) I still think full fat milk tastes like lard.
The implication being that you DON'T find groceries expensive.

And I'll stick with what I like which is not ripped-off milk AND (poly-)glucose breakfast.
Old May 9th 2010, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ice mocha
Hiya... we were in Perth last week.. for about a week, so only managed to get into Coles & K-mart to get some bits like bread, milk, etc

and my god.... things were EXPENSIVE (understatement)

so... i'm guessing there must be other places to get basics from.. at reasonable prices?? please can you list a few... thanksssss
What's exspensive to you becomes your norm here but I do try and shop online to keep the inpulse buys down where possible.
Old May 9th 2010, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

What about the "Cheap Foods Barns"‎ in Balga and Duncraig?

Do you have a Hare Krishnas in Perth? Always a well-known place to get a cheap meal when you are out and about. Last time I went to the Hare Krishnas I got a huge plate of food (vegetarian), a dessert and drink for about $5.00.

Maybe get ideas from the archives here:

http://slowfoodperth.org.au/home/abo...d-perth/store/

http://slowfoodperth.org.au/

Fresh seafood should surely be cheap in Perth too?

Last edited by billabongbunyip; May 9th 2010 at 3:12 am. Reason: Spelling
Old May 9th 2010, 4:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Fresh seafood should surely be cheap in Perth too?
You'd think so, but it's not, it's extortionate. The only affordable fish is either stuff you catch from the jetty, like herrings or frozen crap from Thailand and Indonesia.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:27 am
Account Closed

The implication being that you DON'T find groceries expensive.

And I'll stick with what I like which is not ripped-off milk AND (poly-)glucose breakfast.
The reality being that I'm bored talking with somebody so anally retentive about the 20c difference in the price of a litre of milk.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You'd think so, but it's not, it's extortionate. The only affordable fish is either stuff you catch from the jetty, like herrings or frozen crap from Thailand and Indonesia.
I don,t think there would be a lot of price difference east to west in fish as its mainly priced on export price.(stand to be corrected )

Shark Bay whiting fillets $13.99 /Kg (rarely $9.99/kg )
NZ Orange Roughy $22.50 / Kg

are the two I mainly buy +Red Snapper which can vary $18.99 -$34 /kg
only ever buy Aus. or NZ fish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.