Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

expensive groceries

expensive groceries

Old May 8th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expensive groceries

Originally Posted by ice mocha
Hiya... we were in Perth last week.. for about a week, so only managed to get into Coles & K-mart to get some bits like bread, milk, etc

and my god.... things were EXPENSIVE (understatement)

so... i'm guessing there must be other places to get basics from.. at reasonable prices?? please can you list a few... thanksssss
The Spud Shed -
Pinjarra Road in Mandurah
and Baldivis ( where has Kerosene Lane gone , says Mundajong Rd now (sp) )
is a third the price of the big three for fresh food , maybe half price on meat - that does vary a lot . Just bought top quality Tas. rump for $9.99 bulk .
basics
$1.89 /2ltr milk
$0.99c / bread
$9.99 / kg of short cut bacon
$2.39 / doz eggs
Old May 8th 2010, 1:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mulben
The Spud Shed -
is a third the price of the big three for fresh food , maybe half price on meat - that does vary a lot . Just bought top quality Tas. rump for $9.99 bulk .
basics
$1.89 /2ltr milk
$0.99c / bread
$2.39 / doz eggs
People have been convincing me that you can't get those prices in WA

Sounds like it is much the same as here, look around and ye shall find

Old May 8th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

The Spud Shed -
basics
$1.89 /2ltr milk
$0.99c / bread
$2.39 / doz eggs
There's a Spud Shed in Wanneroo, NOR Perth. Opening hours are good, 7 days a week and open late, which is a first for Perth. Spud Shed reminds me of Aldi's when they first started out in UK, range was crap at first but improved as time went by.
Old May 8th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
People have been convincing me that you can't get those prices in WA

Sounds like it is much the same as here, look around and ye shall find
Spud Shed in Perth NOR has only been open for about 6 months. It's a new place and much appreciated and needed here in Perth. If I could buy shares in that company I would, they are onto a big winner here in Perth and about time.

Shame you have to duck and dive to get good prices. I feel sorry for the time poor people that work full time and have little choice where and when they shop.

Ready meals here are expensive and awful and it's ironic that Perthies love baking and cooking from scratch like housewives from the 50's and yet they are all having to work full or part time to pay the bills. They are trying to do both and getting stressed out - MUGS!!
Old May 8th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
There's a Spud Shed in Wanneroo, NOR Perth. Opening hours are good, 7 days a week and open late, which is a first for Perth. Spud Shed reminds me of Aldi's when they first started out in UK, range was crap at first but improved as time went by.
I think its the same person owns all (biggest spud grower in WA ) its been open 7am to 9 pm -7 days a week since we came here in 03

sometimes they have a range of Tesco sauces and always have stocked McVities Digestives (their a must have )
Old May 8th 2010, 1:58 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I think its the same person owns all (biggest spud grower in WA ) its been open 7am to 9 pm -7 days a week since we came here in 03

sometimes they have a range of Tesco sauces and always have stocked McVities Digestives (their a must have )
AND a couple of weeks ago they had Angel Delight Butterscotch flavour for a dollar a pkt! thats a treat only item but it was nice not to have to pay a premium for it. They always sell raisen toast at a fraction of what the 'other' shops sell at and thier milk is always so much cheaper too- I LUV SPUD!
Old May 8th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Oh well thats what you get for moving to Perth. Sydney has 5 supermarket chains so I have always found the prices reasonable, not cheap but fairly affordable.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Oh well thats what you get for moving to Perth. Sydney has 5 supermarket chains so I have always found the prices reasonable, not cheap but fairly affordable.
Five?.
Old May 8th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Five?.
Woolworths
Coles
Franklins
ALDI
IGA
Old May 8th 2010, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

A relevant article about more competition is now going to be legally supported in NSW.

http://www.news.com.au/business/plan...-1225855566588
Old May 8th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

OMG how cheap is that milk and bread - I pay $1.89 for a ONE litre carton of skimmed milk in Alda and only the cheap plastic bread is in the $1 region not the nice staff, we pay $3 for 6 bread buns! I got all excited the other week cos I got some facial wipes 'on offer' - 3 packs for $16 (normally $7 per pack) so I promptly bought some, then sat here thinking - my god I have just paid 8 quid for 3 packs of wipes whereas I used to get 3 packs for 2 quid in Asda - ah well - next trip home guess what will be lining the base of my suitcase!!!! OH was gutted other week, friends rang to say they were having a party got all the booze and stuff, 9 quid for box of Stella and Moet was 18 quid a bottle in Asda on special - party - cheap as chips!!!
Old May 8th 2010, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Errrrrr helllloooo, I've been saying this for the last 6 months and some. It's a royal rip off here in Perth. Expensive housing, groceries, etc.

You need to be pulling in $70K a year at least for a family if you have no mortgage or rent just to get by. $100K and you'll still struggle with a $250K mortgage. Fact - unless you live like a student, don't go out, eat noodles and beans and like the park/beach and packed lunches as a day out week in week out. Defo need a high paying job to have any kind of 'lifestyle'.

Wake up people, hopefully you'll get what it's like in Perth and just don't think it's the negative locals spouting lies.
You are so right. I dont think people realise just how expensive this place is. I earn decent money and i am spent up every week. In comparison to back home i am broke here.
Old May 8th 2010, 10:50 pm
Account Closed

Woolworths
Coles
Franklins
ALDI
IGA
Average IGA is the size of my garage. Hardly the place to do a weeks shopping. The Franklins I have seen are not much different.
Aldi is, well Aldi.

So two then.
Old May 8th 2010, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Average IGA is the size of my garage. Hardly the place to do a weeks shopping. The Franklins I have seen are not much different.
Aldi is, well Aldi.

So two then.
Incorrect they are fully fledged supermarkets. Nothing wrong with Aldi.

I havent shopped at Woolworths or Coles in over a year and still have all the items that I need. Without going broke either.
Old May 8th 2010, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Incorrect they are fully fledged supermarkets. Nothing wrong with Aldi.

I havent shopped at Woolworths or Coles in over a year and still have all the items that I need. Without going broke either.
No point arguing the toss... we all live here... we all know what IGA/Franklins/Aldi are like. You obviously think they are great.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.