Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expensive Cities. Sydney 7th vs London 15th

Expensive Cities. Sydney 7th vs London 15th

Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:02 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Expensive Cities. Sydney 7th vs London 15th

5 million people live off 5 pounds an hour in London. No one in Australia could live off that.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of
Default Re: Expensive Cities. Sydney 7th vs London 15th

The media focused on the negative part of this survey - being "Cost of living high in Sydney". Wooooohoooooooo....

However they failed to emphasise the more relevant statistic that domestic purchasing power was high in Sydney - being second on the list only to Zurich - ie: the wages compensate for the higher cost of living and therefore it's nowhere near as bad as it sounds.

I currently live in Auckland - which is 30th on the list for domestic purchasing power - and whilst the cost of living in Auckland is way cheaper than Sydney the salaries & wage levels are signficantly worse than in Sydney (by around 40%) - hence your disposable $$ goes way further in Sydney (for further details search for the UBS report on the net).

I can also vouch for this after having lived in Sydney for 3 years - in NZ you work, work, work and have very little to save / spend after you have forked out extortionate prices for milk, cheese, clothes & shoes.

In Australia as we were earning 40% more salary between OH & me, we actually had money to save in the bank each month (even after comparatively high cost of renting a 3 bedroom house on the north shore).