expensive

Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future
Default Re: expensive

Thank you

My plan is simple...

Get my skilled indendent visa...
Leave my current job as a electronics technicain..
Get started here in the UK in refrigeration and air conditioning....
Go over to Ozz at the last minute to get my visa verified..
Get enough experience in refrigeration and air conditioning to get a job..

At the right time and before my 5 years is up on my visa go over to Ozz if the time is right with regards to job experience, exchange rates and property prices if it ever will be.

My mate has his own refrigeration and air conditioning company here so i can get some experience to get a job here but he is not in a position to take me on full time.

I could even quit my job, work with him for free and work more hours at my weekend job to give me enough to survive.

I may even quit my job once if i get the positive TRA result.

Even if i dont go to Ozz the whole point of my doing refrigeration and air conditioning is to go somewhere hot to work. I hate working in electronics.

I will also sell this flat and probably look for something wit more scope for rental. Something closer to Edinburgh will increase my for rental and the there is not much difference in property prices.

If all else fails im gonna retrain in refrigeration and air conditioning and live somewhere hot.

p.s. im very very stressed out with this TRA stuff.

Not felt like this since exams
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

With so many factors influencing the cost of living (food, housing, bills, taxes) and almost all of them wholly out of one’s control, it is IMHO, foolhardy to move ANYWHERE in the expectation that where you move to will be and STAY cheaper to live than where you are currently.

Simple economics of supply and demand dictate that as more people emigrate to Australia, the demand for goods and services increases, therefore the supply decreases and the price increases.

Life in Australia is about more than the numbers on your bank statement. What price waking up to a glorious sunny morning EVERY day? What price having a beautiful clean beach on your doorstep?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

paul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant futurepaul76 has a brilliant future

Thank you

My plan is simple...

At the right time and before my 5 years is up on my visa go over to Ozz if the time is right with regards to job experience, exchange rates and property prices if it ever will be.

My mate has his own refrigeration and air conditioning company here so i can get some experience to get a job here but he is not in a position to take me on full time.

I could even quit my job, work with him for free and work more hours at my weekend job to give me enough to survive.

Even if i dont go to Ozz the whole point of my doing refrigeration and air conditioning is to go somewhere hot to work. I hate working in electronics.

I will also sell this flat and probably look for something wit more scope for rental. Something closer to Edinburgh will increase my for rental and the there is not much difference in property prices.

If all else fails im gonna retrain in refrigeration and air conditioning and live somewhere hot.

Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you

My plan is simple...

Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

I think its all very expensive now and feel sorry for the people coming over.House prices here in SA are going up and up,wages are poor in comparison and IMO groceries,second hand cars,electricity etc is all more expensive.Add into that all the little extras school fees,private health insurance,prescription charges etc etc and many will find they are a lot worse off here.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

ellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to allellie10990 is a name known to all

I think its all very expensive now and feel sorry for the people coming over.House prices here in SA are going up and up,wages are poor in comparison and IMO groceries,second hand cars,electricity etc is all more expensive.Add into that all the little extras school fees,private health insurance,prescription charges etc etc and many will find they are a lot worse off here.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:55 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

So has that put anyone off ?

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment

Discuss ! ..........................

lee
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed

We found,on average,the day to day shopping items were hideously expensive which was a real eye-opener . I'm not including everything in that but just foodstuff we take for granted as cheap in the UK...quite disheartening really
Even the locals were commenting on how expensive basic shopping is becoming.

Lee

ps...bacon is dirt cheap
Anyone who thinks that things are cheap in Australia is realy living in the past.

Forget about the £/$ rate, just look at the actual $$ price of things, which is all that matters to most people wen they're here.

There's very little competition in most senses of the word: things are tied up between sellers to an extent you wouldn't believe.

Regardless of what you might think about Tesco, if theywere to set up here they would blow Woolworths and Coles out of the water. Trouble is, Australians are so brainwashed into parrotting "Australian is best, don't allow damn foreigners in" that they won't wash it.

Aldi *are* making some inroads but they aren't really in the same market.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul76
Thank you
Good plan, unfortunately when you get to Oz you'll probably need to go back to college to get your ticket all over again. It's a pain in the arse for a lot of tradies coming here.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Anyone who thinks that things are cheap in Australia is realy living in the past.

Forget about the £/$ rate, just look at the actual $$ price of things, which is all that matters to most people wen they're here.

There's very little competition in most senses of the word: things are tied up between sellers to an extent you wouldn't believe.

Regardless of what you might think about Tesco, if theywere to set up here they would blow Woolworths and Coles out of the water. Trouble is, Australians are so brainwashed into parrotting "Australian is best, don't allow damn foreigners in" that they won't wash it.

Aldi *are* making some inroads but they aren't really in the same market.
This is so true. There is some competition in Australia - but not much. Electrical goods and cars are 2 that I can think of offhand. Everything else is uncompetitive and there is little real discounting.
Tesco, Wallmart or Carrefour would knock the living shit out of Coles.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, businesses like Harvey Norman could do with some "real" competition.

You'd blow them out of the water if you opened up a business similar to theirs, but with better prices and old fashioned English service.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

mumof5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul76
If i dont get a 60 pointer from the TRA i will be re-thinking my move to Australia.

In the last 4 years i have worked my @ss into the ground.

To come over to Australia and barely be able to buy a flat way out of the city on a much lower wage and that coupled with exchange rates.

Its not about money for me but i have had a mortgage since i was 23 and im now 31.

I dont want to go backwards in life as im sure we all dont want.

Atleast if i get a skilled independent visa it will last for 5 years when verified.
Hi I feel that we have definitely gone backwards in life since coming here. The house that we rent here in Brisbane costs as much as our mortgage in the UK and it is no where near as comfortable, the carpet is old and worn, two bathrooms but we can only shower one at a time as the water goes cold if someone turns on a tap whilst showering. It was a shock to us the cost of renting and it was very difficult to find a halfway decent place.
Also the cost of food shopping, nothing extravagant is staggering!! Be prepared.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:02 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

sometimes the question is more important than the answer,discuss................
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm.. What about beaches, bbq's, weather, lifestyle, laid back education for the kids, shite NHS less crime etc etc etc.

Its interesting how people are reacting to the exchange rate, that couldnt have been the only reason for wanting to make the move. Or were the heady days of 2.8 to the pound the real drawcard.

As for bills, some stuff is cheaper, certainly not food, but rates, much cheaper than council tax, petrol, mind you not if your a tradie, 3 tanks a week just in one vehicle. First few years, till you go nutty with the repetition you dont spend much on entertainment, the BBQ circuit and the beach are still free, parks for the under 10's. Houses might be on a par with the UK avg price wise but your semi in the UK does not come in with 6 bedrooms ( love the way poms here always brag about the size) or a flipping great pool in the backyard.

Onwards and upwards its only money, barefoot in the sands what your coming for
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Now we're nearly at $2=£1,the housing market going mad in Aus,interest rates at 8% and rising,lower average wages than the UK it seems to me that Austalia is no longer an 'inexpensive' location to ship out to.In fact it seems cheaper to live in the Uk at the moment

Discuss ! ..........................

lee
If we'd been coming across now I'd be having serious reservations about it.

If you've little or no money behind you it will be a struggle; cost of migrating plus cost of settling will leave your pockets empty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.