Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expenses when we first arrive?

Expenses when we first arrive?

Old May 17th 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Question Expenses when we first arrive?

Hi there

We are trying to piece together a budget for when we first get there and wonder what kinds of costs we can expect. I have heard that you have a fee to pay to change your driving licence, then there are school fees, etc. does anyone have anything else that we can expect to pay (gas&light deposits, telephone deposits, etc. etc.). We want to try and avoid as many surprises as possible.

We will be in Melbourne, by the way.

Thanks
Old May 17th 2005, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future
Default Re: Expenses when we first arrive?

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Hi there

We are trying to piece together a budget for when we first get there and wonder what kinds of costs we can expect. I have heard that you have a fee to pay to change your driving licence, then there are school fees, etc. does anyone have anything else that we can expect to pay (gas&light deposits, telephone deposits, etc. etc.). We want to try and avoid as many surprises as possible.

Thanks
BTW your name is an interesting anagram! Was that deliberate!
Ali
Old May 17th 2005, 2:56 pm
Go Banana's !!

Hi there

Thanks
Thats such a hard question - we allowed 5k (pounds) set up cost but had change out of that. You do buy some stuff you never banked on, like fold up chairs for all the meets !! and a dog but that's another story.
I can't remember specifics, maybe someone who has just got here can help out.

Jill

Old May 17th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AliMay
Ali
Actually no, our surname is Cox, we are a fam ily and we live in the UK, hence coxfamuk. When we move to Oz it will become CoxfamOz

Hope that clears it up for you

Sarah
Old May 17th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliMay
Ali

Can't work it out. What is it? Probably bing dim as usual I know
Tracey.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:28 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracey.d

Can't work it out. What is it? Probably bing dim as usual I know
Tracey.
Glad you asked Tracey cos it's got me foxed too!!
Old May 17th 2005, 8:38 pm
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Hi there

We are trying to piece together a budget for when we first get there and wonder what kinds of costs we can expect. I have heard that you have a fee to pay to change your driving licence, then there are school fees, etc. does anyone have anything else that we can expect to pay (gas&light deposits, telephone deposits, etc. etc.). We want to try and avoid as many surprises as possible. Thanks
Hi, most of the initial costs that you mentioned are only small so I wouldn't worry too much. Typically the utility companies will want security deposits but these will only be around $50-$80 each. School fees will apply if you go for a private school (we were paying approx $3600 per year) the initial enrolement fee was $300 and the rest was paid over each term. Driving licences fees are not worth worrying about (forget how much now). If you are renting a house then your initial outlay is usually equivalent to 6 weeks rent (4 weeks as the bond + 2 weeks rent in advance).
Hope this helps. DC