Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expats in Brisbane

Expats in Brisbane

Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:33 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Expats in Brisbane

So many :scared: hehehe

Ok there is a reason for my question, so don't think im going mad. I will be going to Brisbane early next year ( Holiday this time, again ), so it would be nice to start meeting ( exchange some emails and my Ozzy number ) some expats prior to the move ( will be moving by myself ) so that the transition is smooth. Hope it's ok.

Regards,
Pedro
Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Here 10 weeks already and loving it.

In Ormiston, near Cleveland, not really Brisbane, but not far.

JTL, Mrs JTL, & Jock
(Scotts/N Irish, Chinese, and Australian, respectively)
Old Oct 18th 2004, 8:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Here 10 weeks already and loving it.

In Ormiston, near Cleveland, not really Brisbane, but not far.

JTL, Mrs JTL, & Jock
(Scotts/N Irish, Chinese, and Australian, respectively)
Jack
You didn't get to that last meet up at Wynnum (Sept) did you ?

Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Expats in Brisbane

Hey Boomerang, me too & I’m totally terrified! It seems everyone else is emigrating as a family so I’m scared that I’ll be the only singleton Expat in the whole of Brisbane. I applied in May 04 so I’m stuck in the middle of the 136 delay but hopefully DIMIA will one day come back to me and let me in & if / when they do I’d love to meet up with you .
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:25 pm
LKB
Just Joined

LKB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikk
Hey Boomerang, me too & I’m totally terrified! It seems everyone else is emigrating as a family so I’m scared that I’ll be the only singleton Expat in the whole of Brisbane. I applied in May 04 so I’m stuck in the middle of the 136 delay but hopefully DIMIA will one day come back to me and let me in & if / when they do I’d love to meet up with you .
Hi Vikk,

Are you emigrating on your own?

I'm not single but I'm not married with kids either. In all honesty I haven't met any Pommes my age (25) in Brisbane? The British people that I have met are older and setted. They also didn't seem to have any difficulty settling in, which wasn't and sometimes still isn't the case for me?

Have you been to Brisbane before?

The quality of life here is so much better then in London and I feel heaps richer!!!!

Email me if you need any advise with anything! Good luck!!

Louisa
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:33 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Im 22. So am i mad thinking of a move at such a young age?

... But i feel the need for a fresh start even though im young, somewhere i like, somewhere i can connect myself too, surely not everything is perfect im aware of that, but what Australia has to offer is all i ever wanted... Why not fight for it

Pedro
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:50 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

I'm an ex-pat, ex-pat ... or summat like that!

Moved to Brisbane aged 16.98, after 10 years in Kent, and lived there ever since ... well except that I've been back in UK since Oct 2003, but I'm returning home (I'm a proud Aussie now!) in two weeks.

Do it young, I say, if you can! Grab life by the horns and swing it around. Have fun!!

Don't forget, it's not an irreversible decision anyway!

Good luck with your quest, Pedro.

Old Oct 19th 2004, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Jack
You didn't get to that last meet up at Wynnum (Sept) did you ?
No, unfortunately, had to pick up wifey from airport. Mrs JTL got held up at customs when she returned from her wee trip to Hong Kong - was smuggling in sweets and instant noodles without declaring.

Hope we'll meet up another time - will bring some of the smuggled goods.

JTL
Old Oct 19th 2004, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Pedro,
yep, me, the hubby and little 'un are in Eatons Hill about half hour from the city centre
regards
Rach & family xx
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Louisa.
It's so lovely of you to reply and come to my aide, as you said everybody seems to be older or at least at a stage in their life which is further on than mine. Do you have any suggestions about possible areas to live in where there may be other people in the same situation? I have a million questions for you but I don't even know where to start. Like a lot of other people on here I am in a long que so I have a lot of obstacles to overcome first but the one thing that scares me more than anything except DIMIA saying no, is that I'll arrive on the other side of the world, not know a soul, & feel totaly issolated. Like Pedro I'd really like to make some contacts before I go. This site has been invaluable, everybody is so friendly and supportive. Hopefully by the time I go I'll have met lots of people like yourself and Pedro who will make the process so much easier and less traumatic. Thank you so much for your reply Please keep in touch, I'd love to meet up with you out there, I have sent you some karma Vicky

Pedro I have sent you a PM
Old Oct 19th 2004, 10:09 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i moved here three years ago on my lonesome. my current flatmate is also a pom who is here on his own (albeit temporarily at the moment). in fact i've met loads of mid-20s single poms in brisvegas, inlcuding 3 or 4 i work with. i guess it depends on where you go/what you do will depend on the demographics of who you meet. i've only met one brit family who migrated here, the rest seem to be single. but then again, i do hang out in the valley.....

Originally Posted by LKB
Hi Vikk,

Are you emigrating on your own?

I'm not single but I'm not married with kids either. In all honesty I haven't met any Pommes my age (25) in Brisbane? The British people that I have met are older and setted. They also didn't seem to have any difficulty settling in, which wasn't and sometimes still isn't the case for me?

Have you been to Brisbane before?

The quality of life here is so much better then in London and I feel heaps richer!!!!

Email me if you need any advise with anything! Good luck!!

Louisa
Old Oct 20th 2004, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, thank you, thank you brisnick, such words of comfort! I had this vision of a fab country totaly devoid of any singleton ex-pat poms so feeling a little better now. This may sound lame but what or where is 'the valley???' I'm not up on the lingo YET.

Pedro, I truly didn't mean to hijack your thread, I'm just as scared as you are but it looks like there may be a few friendly faces when we get there, so maybe we'll cope better than we had thought! Vikk
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:02 pm
G'day Mate

No worries Vikk we are all on the same boat

Like you said, its good to know some faces before moving
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by vikk
This may sound lame but what or where is 'the valley???' I'm not up on the lingo YET.
Fortitude Valley, known to locals as simply 'The Valley' lies to the immediate north of the Brisbane CBD. The Valley encompasses the suburbs of Bowen Hills, Herston, New Farm, Newstead, Spring Hill and Teneriffe. The area contains a wide range of different types and sizes of business, with a heavy emphasis on service and retail industries.

The Valley use to have a bad reputation, however, after the suburb's street scaping and the implement of more effective policing, the Valley has been revived. Young people and families have moved into the area lending a feeling of community spirit. The area has an amazing nightlife, with chic and stylish clubs, lounges and bars open on most corners. Combine this with the wonderful shopping and music scene, the Valley is very popular with tourists and backpackers.

Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

we live in cleveland, been here 4 months and loving it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.