Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Expats are Aliens

Expats are Aliens

Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you have to pay something like $120 each person wanting to become an Australian Citizen, just like many other things there's not much that's free in Gods country.... Not complaining though it's treated us ok so far.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 8:50 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes the fee is $120

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm

$148 for the passport

http://www.passports.gov.au/Web/queries/fees.aspx

or $120 for a residents return visa

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i.htm
Old Jan 11th 2004, 11:07 am
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Expats are Aliens

Originally posted by welshboybilly
the plates dont need moving untill the fur is completely covering them.

I do know you, I've been to your house in Roath !!!

Jill

Old Jan 11th 2004, 2:44 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
I do know you, I've been to your house in Roath !!!

Jill
my cover is blown

Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Last time I was in the queue to get my 5 year RRV I promised I would become a Citizen before it ran out.
I hate that queue !!!
I think you will find (dual) citizenship will be forced on you.

DIMIA will not renew your re-entry visa when you present them with a replacement for your expired Brtish passport. If you are prepared to stay here forever and not leave even on a holiday, it doesn't become an issue.

But if you want to travel, they have ways of forcing their will on you...

And you will be expected to present your Australian passport and have it swiped when you leave.

Who said the borders aren't tight?
Old Jan 12th 2004, 2:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Banksia
I think you will find (dual) citizenship will be forced on you.

DIMIA will not renew your re-entry visa when you present them with a replacement for your expired Brtish passport. If you are prepared to stay here forever and not leave even on a holiday, it doesn't become an issue.

But if you want to travel, they have ways of forcing their will on you...

And you will be expected to present your Australian passport and have it swiped when you leave.

Who said the borders aren't tight?
Have the RRV rules changed? The last time I looked as long as you fulfill the residency requirments it can be renewed. There is even an on-line facility on www.immi.gov.au.

2 years as a PR in Australia in the previous 5 years with one of the years within the previous 2 is the residency requirement.

Last edited by bondipom; Jan 12th 2004 at 3:55 am.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 3:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
Have the RRV rules changed? The last time I looked as long as you fulfill the residency requirments it can be renewed. There is even an on-line facility on www.immi.gov.au.

2 years as a PR in Australia in the previous 5 years with one of the years within the previous 2 is the residency requirment.
correct Bondi - at the moment I can travel in and out of Aus without a return visa (as I've only been Pr since 01) - after 06 if I want to travel I need to go and get a return visa allowing me to leave and re enter the country. within this 5 years you need no return visa to travel

At the moment I'm actually in the process of citizenship (as I'm going back to the Uk and just keeping my bridges open as if I return and not come back after 06 I will lose my PR) - I've had the interview , just waiting for reply (told it takes two months by the interviewer) . PR is permanent you can stay until you die - but if you leave after 5 years, you need a return visa to get back in.

cheers

P.S citizenship is not forced on you lol (friend of mine been here for 30 years , in and out of the country working in asia for months at a time- and still won't take out citizenship - he still is only PR)

Last edited by Ceri; Jan 12th 2004 at 4:01 am.
Old Jan 12th 2004, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Nibbs
Sorry about posting the contents of the paper but this seems quite serious.

Apparently the High Court has just ruled that migrants regardless of how long they,ve had PR are classed as Aliens unless you get citizenship. So if any of us are naughty boys and girls and get sent to the big house for a year then we're out.

Mind you if you've been sent down for a year do you deserve the visa in the first place?. Some of the people in paper had been here since the 60/70's and were being deported to a country they had no idea about. Seems a bit harsh.

Hope they don't worry about the rife criminalisation of the public by multi-novas otherwise best start packing.
There was talk a while back of changing the rules so that anyone who became an Australian citizen by any method other than birth could have their citizenship revoked and be deported. This was intended to fight "Chinese drug cartels" and was only intended for really serious offenders. Does anyone know if it came to anything?