Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Apprenticeship on a 176 skilled sponsored visa?

Apprenticeship on a 176 skilled sponsored visa?

Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:19 am
Just Joined

ScottyS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apprenticeship on a 176 skilled sponsored visa?

My son and i are currently in Sydney NSW, my 19 year old son has been offered an apprenticeship but the provider asked him for my visa details (176 skilled sponsored visa ) and he said he wouldn't be able to get funding from them on this visa??
It is me who has this visa and my son was included on this visa with the rest of my family. Does this mean he is also a 176 skilled sponsored visa or has this guy got it all wrong ??

I thought being permanent resident he would qualify for an apprenticeship in Australia?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:26 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apprenticeship on a 176 skilled sponsored visa?

Originally Posted by ScottyS
My son and i are currently in Sydney NSW, my 19 year old son has been offered an apprenticeship but the provider asked him for my visa details (176 skilled sponsored visa ) and he said he wouldn't be able to get funding from them on this visa??
It is me who has this visa and my son was included on this visa with the rest of my family. Does this mean he is also a 176 skilled sponsored visa or has this guy got it all wrong ??

I thought being permanent resident he would qualify for an apprenticeship in Australia?

Any help would be appreciated.
Your son will also have a 176 PR visa, and NSW have this to say:

2.1 Citizenship and residency status

A person is eligible to be approved as an apprentice or trainee in NSW if they are:
•an Australian citizen, or
•a foreign national with permanent residency, or
•a New Zealand passport holder who has been resident in Australia for more than six months, or
•a person who holds a visa that is identified by Training Services NSW as being eligible, providing that that the visa is valid beyond the nominal term of the training contract.
Quote taken from this document - https://www.training.nsw.gov.au/aacs...uirements.html

It may be worth having a chat with the provider and point out that the 176 is a PR visa.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks Sparkles
That clearly says with permanent residency which is what i thought.

Need to have a chat with them again i think.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sparkles
That clearly says with permanent residency which is what i thought.

Need to have a chat with them again i think.
Not everyone understands the visa numbers, but your son should have his own visa number which they can verify as a PR visa. (Mine does and we are also 176 )
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:50 am
Just Joined

I did send a copy of his visa details today so hopefully they will get back to us with good news. � ����
Old Apr 7th 2017, 10:51 am

I did send a copy of his visa details today so hopefully they will get back to us with good news. � ����
Scotty - let us know how you go
Old Apr 7th 2017, 11:06 am
Just Joined

I will do. Thanks again for the info
Old Apr 8th 2017, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

Both my sons did apprenticeships on PR visas, was never queried but it was a few years back now and we are in QLD.

Good luck for your son x
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:01 am
Just Joined

When my son spoke with them they said he couldn't get funding because 176 visa was not on the list.
Im thinking thats because the visa class has changed and is now another subclass (maybe) fingers crossed its just a mix up.
What visa was you and your boys on Justcantwait ?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

justcantwait will become famous soon enoughjustcantwait will become famous soon enough

We were on 136 pr visas, a friend's daughter was looking at at traineeship, but they were on a 489 which is a temp visa but was told that once pr there would be no problem, and that was last yr.
Are you going through an agency for the apprenticeship?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When my son spoke with them they said he couldn't get funding because 176 visa was not on the list.
Im thinking thats because the visa class has changed and is now another subclass (maybe) fingers crossed its just a mix up.
What visa was you and your boys on Justcantwait ?
Closest equivalent to a 176 now is the 190, State Sponsored PR.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Yes its through an agency. One that hasn't a clue by the looks of it. Im going to try and ring the governing body for NSW apprenticeships Monday to see if they can clarify this.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks polyanna, im on a relative skilled sponsored, is there an equivalent to this ?
Old Apr 8th 2017, 10:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks polyanna, im on a relative skilled sponsored, is there an equivalent to this ?
Don't know, to be honest. I just know the 175/176 were replaced by the 189/190.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 11:43 am
Just Joined

An update.
I rang Training NSW to clarify the situation,there was little confusion with the visa numbers changing and getting funding, but im happy to say it as all been sorted out and he can get funding now on a 176 visa.
All i need now is the agency he is going through to get cracking !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.