expat shop

Old Feb 7th 2003, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I would kill for proper Weetabix (not that horrible Weetbix that Sanatorium make here, tastes like the devils toenails). Then there is Ambrosia Creamed Rice (the Aussie versions are all vanilla flavoured, not very nice), proper sausages, a nice bit of cod and chips, and as everyone has already mentioned - decent chocolate. Just thinking of a packet of Revels makes my mouth water. I am hooked on UK papers too, and buy the UK Mail and UK Express every week. Sad eh! adelaidegirl
Old Feb 7th 2003, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by adelaidegirl
Well, I would kill for proper Weetabix (not that horrible Weetbix that Sanatorium make here, tastes like the devils toenails). Then there is Ambrosia Creamed Rice (the Aussie versions are all vanilla flavoured, not very nice), proper sausages, a nice bit of cod and chips, and as everyone has already mentioned - decent chocolate. Just thinking of a packet of Revels makes my mouth water. I am hooked on UK papers too, and buy the UK Mail and UK Express every week. Sad eh! adelaidegirl
You can get Revels in the English Sweet Shop in the old David Jones centre in Rundle Mall. I got some Munchies from there yesterday, and am quite partial to the odd Toffee Crisp!
Old Feb 7th 2003, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Nara, you have made my day, I shall be in there tomorrow! thanks, adelaidegirl
Old Feb 7th 2003, 11:09 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jacqui
We can buy Weetabix, but it's twice the price and Vita-Brits taste just the same.

Thanks for that tip jacqui. I have been missing my weetabix and a lot of the stuff here tastes like cardboard. Tried Vita-Brits today and although not exactly the same they are close enough for me. Just need to find some substitute cheerios and golden nuggets now! Oh and still can't find anything that comes even close to Walkers here in NZ!

Thanks again for that Jacqui.

Paula
Old Feb 12th 2003, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

baloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jacqui
....Also the Ozzies do like their sweets. The kids and adults over here must have really bad dental problems, the selection in the supermarket is huge, they still sell sweets by the checkouts (something Tesco banned).....
A lot of the UK supermarkets do still do this though.... Safeways, Sainsburys, M&S, Waitrose etc. (though you're right about Tescos, but then they simply put the sweets at the end of the aisle right behind the till, so still within arms reach when you're paying).

And the range of sweets in Woolworths etc. in UK can be mind-boggling
Old Feb 12th 2003, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Adelaide girl. You can't get Cod in England. Its full of worms anyway. Try the North West Snapper, its far superior.

PB. They must see you coming in the shops. We have visited Aus several times, and always found everyone curtious, helpful and pleasant, but we didn't meet PB.
Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.
We lived in Spain for 2 years in the 80's, and I longed for Sausage rolls and horlicks. Came back to GB and never touch the stuff.
Old Feb 12th 2003, 11:16 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by crabtree
Adelaide girl. You can't get Cod in England. Its full of worms anyway. Try the North West Snapper, its far superior.

PB. They must see you coming in the shops. We have visited Aus several times, and always found everyone curtious, helpful and pleasant, but we didn't meet PB.
Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.
We lived in Spain for 2 years in the 80's, and I longed for Sausage rolls and horlicks. Came back to GB and never touch the stuff.
Not at all most people who holiday make an effort to be friendly we live here and know the locals far better , stringing two words together is an effort for most shop workers here ,most take the jobs on because its the best they get not because they want it.
Yea thought that about Australia just shows how wrong I was , maybe home is the place to be that is where you are born.

Old Feb 12th 2003, 11:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: expat shop

Originally posted by doub
Ok everyone,

I am thinking of opening a shop when we get to Oz selling all the things you get here that you cant get over there. Now my wife is in the 'embrace your new culture and forget about Cadbury's chocolate etc.' but I feel; why not have you cake & eat it! and anyway, if we feel the UK products are superior, then maybe discerning Oz folk will as well

Anyone got anything they would like stocked?

Cheers Mark
Try opening your shop in Brisbane. I can't find much Brit food here (unless there is a shop I haven't come across yet).
Heinz products here (Beans, spaghetti, sauce etc) are made in NZ mostly , and they don't taste the same as the British ones to me.

The only products which I have found made in Britain are After eight mints and Aero ( which are in the local supermarkets... coles and woolworths)

Another thought, don't just stick to British foods - try some DECENT North Indian food etc as well, which is very hard to get here, they're a bit lacking on the curries and things here.

Have a shop which caters to a wide range of nationalities not just Brits, stock a wide range of food from different countries Britain, Canada, America, Germany,France, India etc, etc. I used to shop at one of these type of shops in Singapore, it was called Jasons for anyone who knows the shop. It was expensive but they did a roaring trade with expats from all nations and also with the "middle class" local people.

cheers
Old Feb 13th 2003, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri

Another thought, don't just stick to British foods

cheers
Yeah, I'd love a few bottles of Encona, haven't seen it anywhere over here.
Old Feb 13th 2003, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Try opening your shop in Brisbane. I can't find much Brit food here (unless there is a shop I haven't come across yet).
Heinz products here (Beans, spaghetti, sauce etc) are made in NZ mostly , and they don't taste the same as the British ones to me.

The only products which I have found made in Britain are After eight mints and Aero ( which are in the local supermarkets... coles and woolworths)

Another thought, don't just stick to British foods - try some DECENT North Indian food etc as well, which is very hard to get here, they're a bit lacking on the curries and things here.

Have a shop which caters to a wide range of nationalities not just Brits, stock a wide range of food from different countries Britain, Canada, America, Germany,France, India etc, etc. I used to shop at one of these type of shops in Singapore, it was called Jasons for anyone who knows the shop. It was expensive but they did a roaring trade with expats from all nations and also with the "middle class" local people.

cheers
Hi
I've been here a fortnight and after my time in the Middle East consider myself an expert in finding British food!! Try www.highlandflingproducts.com seems to me they have a large range of imported UK products and also make fresh Scottish pies. The shops in Loganholme (I'm in Daisy Hill) so I'll have alook on Saturday

Susan
Old Feb 13th 2003, 4:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by susmac
Hi
I've been here a fortnight and after my time in the Middle East consider myself an expert in finding British food!! Try www.highlandflingproducts.com seems to me they have a large range of imported UK products and also make fresh Scottish pies. The shops in Loganholme (I'm in Daisy Hill) so I'll have alook on Saturday

Susan
Susan, thanks very much! , I never knew such a shop existed around in the brissie area . I'll definitely have to go there. .... Whisper bars!!! Munchies under the imported food section on the web site - I haven't had these for years!!! Mouth is watering. I don't eat meat, I'm one of those vegie tw*ts .. so the pies are out for me, but Hubby is a meat lover.

Thanks very much! Very much appreciated.. I'll definitely will have to go there
Old Feb 13th 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

cazsue is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers

Hi Ceri,

I had your problem finding Indian food too, until my hubby located an Indian Supermarket at McWhirters Centre in the Valley. They stocked pretty much everything.

On the chocolate side we located minstrels, caramac, revels at the Chocolate Shop in the Myer Centre.

regards
Caz