Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

expat Business network in Perth

expat Business network in Perth

Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

ottg will become famous soon enough
Default expat Business network in Perth

Can anyone tell me if there is a formal expat British business network available in Perth, is there a need for that, what would you like to get from it, what can you do for such a network?

Regards
ottg
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Smile Re: expat Business network in Perth

Hi ottg,

That's a good question as I am going out to perth soon (mid 09) I would be interested in joining such a network if one exists. I have a small property maintenance company here in the UK and will be looking to set up something similar in perth.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 7:35 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expat Business network in Perth

I'm in NSW so not really qualified to answer I guess...but I was wondering what the point in it would be?? Why would you need an 'expat' group for new business? Surely meeting with the locals is more likely to help your business grow than to meet with other expats?
Old Nov 29th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ottg
Can anyone tell me if there is a formal expat British business network available in Perth, is there a need for that, what would you like to get from it, what can you do for such a network?

Regards
ottg
I'd be interested in networking with anyone in business in Perth....
Old Nov 29th 2008, 10:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
I'm in NSW so not really qualified to answer I guess...but I was wondering what the point in it would be?? Why would you need an 'expat' group for new business? Surely meeting with the locals is more likely to help your business grow than to meet with other expats?
Just what I was thinking.

Isn't part of being an immigrant fitting in with the locals or is that just what's expected when people emigrate to your country?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

wanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant futurewanttobedownunder has a brilliant future
Angry Re: expat Business network in Perth

Hi,

I think the idea of it would be so we could help each other and pass on work between ourselves much like the australians would. Yes we want to mix with everyone but with all the talk on this site of people not felling welcome I think if we can help each other it makes things a bit easier.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:01 pm

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanttobedownunder
Hi,

I think the idea of it would be so we could help each other and pass on work between ourselves much like the australians would. Yes we want to mix with everyone but with all the talk on this site of people not felling welcome I think if we can help each other it makes things a bit easier.
I've never been made to feel unwelcome, but I appreciate that everyones experience is different. I would be concerned that setting up an 'Expat' group would only serve to enlarge that gap between expats and locals? Surely belonging to a group with those who've been in business for many many years in the area would be the way to go. I believe you have to work at making yourself feel welcome when you arrive, not work combating ways to beat the fact that you dont feel welcome
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

georginabutcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand why someone would ask such a question.It's not about excluding yourself from the Australians, but speaking from experience (9 years ago and returning in 4 weeks after 8 years) never before has the saying "feeling like a fish out of water" been more true.Yes you should try and fit in,but for some people the way you feel when you first arrive is really overwhelming.I can understand why you would find comfort in "your own kind".Starting a business anywhere is hard but in another country When you have only been there five mins.
I am starting my own business when I get to Perth and having support from other newbies would be great.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:12 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georginabutcher
I understand why someone would ask such a question.It's not about excluding yourself from the Australians, but speaking from experience (9 years ago and returning in 4 weeks after 8 years) never before has the saying "feeling like a fish out of water" been more true.Yes you should try and fit in,but for some people the way you feel when you first arrive is really overwhelming.I can understand why you would find comfort in "your own kind".Starting a business anywhere is hard but in another country When you have only been there five mins.
I am starting my own business when I get to Perth and having support from other newbies would be great.
We're in Perth on a business visa, sponsored by the SBDC (Small Business Development Corporation).

These guys are really helpful and run a LOT of networking events and workshops. I guess they would be a really good place to start.

http://www.sbdc.com.au/index.asp

We started our business from scratch when we came over, so if there's anything we can do to help, just shout.

Our business web address is: www.affinity-one.com.au

ATB,

Jules x
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by julesandco
We're in Perth on a business visa, sponsored by the SBDC (Small Business Development Corporation).

These guys are really helpful and run a LOT of networking events and workshops. I guess they would be a really good place to start.

http://www.sbdc.com.au/index.asp

We started our business from scratch when we came over, so if there's anything we can do to help, just shout.

Our business web address is: www.affinity-one.com.au

ATB,

Jules x
What type of business is yours?Mine will be retail.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

What type of business is yours?Mine will be retail.
It's ok,just looked at your link!
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:53 pm

Yes you should try and fit in,but for some people the way you feel when you first arrive is really overwhelming.
Oh dont get me wrong...I know only too well how much being with other expats can help you settle into your new life...I've got plenty of expat mates for sure. I'm just not sure that setting up an Expat group for this particular purpose would help your business grow thats all

When we first arrived I would have been totally lost without my expat buddies
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Oh dont get me wrong...I know only too well how much being with other expats can help you settle into your new life...I've got plenty of expat mates for sure. I'm just not sure that setting up an Expat group for this particular purpose would help your business grow thats all

When we first arrived I would have been totally lost without my expat buddies
Hi everyone

Thank you for all your replies. The SBDC offers great courses for SME businesses. Here are many business associations also. These are some of the many things you as a business owner need to engage in.

However, I found to establishing a network, based on trusted partner relationships, takes between 6-18 months. One thing I have reliased is that it works better when working from the known to the unknown, meaning; engage with local expats that already has been through the process and that already know the Australian business networks. (julesandco will take you up on your offer)

I believe the most effective way is when you buy into an established Australian business as a partner. This is an option that many appears to excercise because of the difficulty to get into the Australian business network. But financially this is not alway possible. From there the question I posed.

I have noted that the Indians and Chinese have a large business network, but I am still looking for a formal expat British one.

The idea is to shorten the time it will take you to engage in a successfull mutually beneficial business network. (There may be a difference in selling a service and a product in an unknown market)

Georginabutcher in what retail market segment do you intent to setup shop!

Regards
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:36 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottg
Hi everyone

Thank you for all your replies. The SBDC offers great courses for SME businesses. Here are many business associations also. These are some of the many things you as a business owner need to engage in.

However, I found to establishing a network, based on trusted partner relationships, takes between 6-18 months. One thing I have reliased is that it works better when working from the known to the unknown, meaning; engage with local expats that already has been through the process and that already know the Australian business networks. (julesandco will take you up on your offer)

I believe the most effective way is when you buy into an established Australian business as a partner. This is an option that many appears to excercise because of the difficulty to get into the Australian business network. But financially this is not alway possible. From there the question I posed.

I have noted that the Indians and Chinese have a large business network, but I am still looking for a formal expat British one.

The idea is to shorten the time it will take you to engage in a successfull mutually beneficial business network. (There may be a difference in selling a service and a product in an unknown market)

Georginabutcher in what retail market segment do you intent to setup shop!

Regards
There are business breakfast networks around; these tend to be area specific however. Give that Australia is such a big country, people are surprisingly reluctant to travel!

I think once you're on the ground and make a few enquiries, there will be lots of networking opportunities that arise. Accountants / book keepers tend to be good sources of info on this point.

ottg, where abouts are you intending to settle. Be very wary about buying into a business; do your homework VERY thoroughly

Jules x
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone interested in joining a business network here in Perth? Please PM me. If you are staying anywhere between Mandurah or Joondalup, or a prospective migrant to these areas please join us.

Hope to hear from you!
Gerhardt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.