Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchanging pounds stirling to $$$ a year after arrival.....

Exchanging pounds stirling to $$$ a year after arrival.....

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exchanging pounds stirling to $$$ a year after arrival.....

Hi!

We arrived 14 months ago and have been building our own house. We need to transfer our last dregs from the U.K to OZ to complete our property (landscaping / fencing / pool etc). I'm fairly certain I've read previously that HIFX (with whom we transferred the bulk of our cash 14 months ago) don't give exchange rates as favourably, once you are in OZ. Can anyone either confirm or deny this and does anyone have idea of the possible tax implications when transferring this money now we are settled in OZ?

Any advice / replies greatfully recieved, thanks.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:27 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchanging pounds stirling to $$$ a year after arrival.....

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi!

We arrived 14 months ago and have been building our own house. We need to transfer our last dregs from the U.K to OZ to complete our property (landscaping / fencing / pool etc). I'm fairly certain I've read previously that HIFX (with whom we transferred the bulk of our cash 14 months ago) don't give exchange rates as favourably, once you are in OZ. Can anyone either confirm or deny this and does anyone have idea of the possible tax implications when transferring this money now we are settled in OZ?

Any advice / replies greatfully recieved, thanks.
No idea. But www.ozforex.com.au will do it fine from Australia although if you are transferring less than £150000 then consider using www.tranzfers.com who are owned by Ozforex and give the same rates as they will for anything up to that amount. Just a suggestion.

Hope you new home works out and is everything you wished for. As to the tax implications I do not know sadly.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
No idea. But www.ozforex.com.au will do it fine from Australia although if you are transferring less than £150000 then consider using www.tranzfers.com who are owned by Ozforex and give the same rates as they will for anything up to that amount. Just a suggestion.

Hope you new home works out and is everything you wished for. As to the tax implications I do not know sadly.
Many thanks for that. Will check out the OzForex site. Anyone any clue as to the tax situation?
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:06 pm
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Many thanks for that. Will check out the OzForex site. Anyone any clue as to the tax situation?
I'm pretty sure I read that any money that you transfer into AUD after 6 months of moving out to Oz is charged Capital gains tax. I can't confirm this, but that's what I read some time ago.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

See http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=327
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:16 am
Off to Perth in early Oct

youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough

Very useful link Mr Ee. Thanks.