Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

exchanging money

exchanging money

Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

kevsyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default exchanging money

can anyone reccomend the best company to exchange our money into australian dollars?
Also anyone know the best company for travel insurance?
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:41 pm
WBB

Default Re: exchanging money

Originally posted by kevsyder
can anyone reccomend the best company to exchange our money into australian dollars?
Also anyone know the best company for travel insurance?
how many dollars are we talking about?

we are visiting oz next week for a month long validation trip and have set aside £2500 spending money (we have folks to stay with) we have opened an account with the nationwide BS who do free withdrawls worldwide from any cashpoint.

for travel insurance try the money supermarket.

Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by WBB
how many dollars are we talking about?

we are visiting oz next week for a month long validation trip and have set aside £2500 spending money (we have folks to stay with) we have opened an account with the nationwide BS who do free withdrawls worldwide from any cashpoint.

for travel insurance try the money supermarket.

WBB - Are you going to open one of those clever thingy-mgygsies with HSBC whilst over there ??? Its really straightforward, takes about 10mins with your passport. But you will also need $2000 in travellers cheques (or cash if you're flash!).
Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:52 pm
WBB

Originally posted by sjn2003
WBB - Are you going to open one of those clever thingy-mgygsies with HSBC whilst over there ??? Its really straightforward, takes about 10mins with your passport. But you will also need $2000 in travellers cheques (or cash if you're flash!).
we have looked in to it and will dive in a bit deeper once on the ground over there, the missus has an account with ANZ from years ago and for some reason has loyalty to them!! :scared:

to be honest we are credit card folk who pay off the balance each month, so, we will see.

Old Mar 31st 2004, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

kevsyder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hsbc

i've already got an english account with hsbc, but will open an oz one once i'm there, then maybe i was going to look at someone like hifx to give me a better rate into my hsbc account. Do you know wht rate hifx would give me for 10000 pounds and does anyone expect the pound to get stronger or weaker against the dollar?
Old Mar 31st 2004, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hsbc

Originally posted by kevsyder
i've already got an english account with hsbc, but will open an oz one once i'm there, then maybe i was going to look at someone like hifx to give me a better rate into my hsbc account. Do you know wht rate hifx would give me for 10000 pounds and does anyone expect the pound to get stronger or weaker against the dollar?

Hi Kevsyder,

We used hifx to transfer our money into hsbc bank account.
The rate at the moment according to them is 2.41, but they lower the rate by a couple of cents when you actually give them the go-ahead.