Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

exchange rates and tax???

Wikiposts

exchange rates and tax???

Old Oct 14th 2003, 6:42 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of interesting comments in these postings!

You can transfer your capital to Australia without a tax charge - BUT if you retain UK£'s (for example) and the value in A$ terms is more when you transfer it than its value on the date you become tax resident you will have realised a capital gain which is assessable in Australia, with a 50% discount applying to the gain if the "disposal" of non-A$ currency held on arrival in Australia takes place more than 12 months after that date.

A "disposal" of foreign currency (foreign meaning so far as Australia is concerned) can also take place when you settle a UK debt using UK£'s (when settling a UK credit card bill for example), or if you transfer your UK£'s from one spouse or partner to the other.

Best regards.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Sorry Alan

Did not follow that at all - can you explain it again! Sorry to be a complete dim-wit!!!!

We are looking to keep our house & rent it out - we will be bringing in some capital & keeping some in the UK until we decide that we are settled & will then transfer most to Oz & probably sell the house.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 7:50 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi pockygoes,
I think this is accountant teritory. The answer will be good because I wonna do the same as you, but keep the house in the UK for quite a while.
I know that in the UK you don't pay CGT on a property you live in, so could you get around this by moving back to the UK when you sell the house, therefor it's your home, - no CGT.

Bye
Markeh
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:18 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You have more than one tax issue to consider here:

- your tax exposure if you retain and let a property in the UK when you move to Australia (Income Tax and CGT in the UK and Australia, plus Inheritance Tax in the UK), and
- your tax exposure if you retain UK£'s when you move to Australia

To be open with you, and if you are unclear having investigated the many postings I have made before on these subjects on this forum, please take some professional advice so you can make informed decisions.

If you would like a fee proposal from me please send me an email.

Best regards.

Originally posted by pockygoes
Sorry Alan

Did not follow that at all - can you explain it again! Sorry to be a complete dim-wit!!!!

We are looking to keep our house & rent it out - we will be bringing in some capital & keeping some in the UK until we decide that we are settled & will then transfer most to Oz & probably sell the house.
Old Oct 15th 2003, 11:21 am
Migration Agent

Originally posted by markeh
<snip>
I know that in the UK you don't pay CGT on a property you live in, so could you get around this by moving back to the UK when you sell the house, therefor it's your home, - no CGT.

Bye
Markeh
Not necessarily markeh. It depends on how long the property is let, and the capital gain arising . Although there is a valuable letting exemption from CGT in the UK for gains of up to £40,000 this could be exceeded given the growth in property prices in the UK over the last few years.

Best regards.