Exchange Rates

Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice
Default Re: Exchange Rates

Originally Posted by BATS666
and who wished they'd bought 2 days ago when it hit $2.31 now it's back down to $2.22???! :curse:
ME!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:11 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I think (and hope) that you will find the recent drop it due to the people all buying AUD thanks to the better exchange. Give it a week or so and it will be back on track towards 2.4 (I reckon).
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
I think (and hope) that you will find the recent drop it due to the people all buying AUD thanks to the better exchange. Give it a week or so and it will be back on track towards 2.4 (I reckon).
you hope !!
i think the current fluctuations are much more to do with unstable markets adversely effecting carry trade currencies, like the AU$, than people buying AU$ on the better exchange rate. If things hadn't stabilised over the last coupla days, the AU$ would have continued to fall. No telling how long it'll last for tho.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Isn't this (latest move) more to do with £ dropping relative to US$, because of our higher than expected inflation?

Last edited by Gazzap; Sep 19th 2008 at 9:49 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gazzap
Isn't this (latest move) more to do with £ dropping relative to US$, because of our higher than expected inflation?
Err, nope !
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BATS666
Err, nope !
OK, I thought it had something to do with this....not that I really understand how one thing effects another re. exchange rates.

"Sterling falls as UK inflation spikes to 16 year high

The Pound sank across the board on Tuesday morning after British consumer prices rose to their highest level in 16 years in August and more than double the Bank of England’s inflation target, prompting the Governor, Mervyn King to publicly explain why prices have risen so high. The Office for National Statistics revealed CPI was 4.7% higher last month than a year ago from 4.4% in July and recording the highest level since April 1992....
"
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

terrier1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

wish i had exchanged some aswell for my holiday in 2 weeks, but thought i'd wait and see if it goes any higher. :curse:
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:03 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
You can't exclude people buying Aussie $ out of the equation - the buying of any currency is exactly what sets its value.

There is also infinitely more buying and selling of Aussie $ going on by investors than there are by the general public. Savy investors (and those with the nerve) will be buying and selling like crazy as huge amounts of profit can be made in a very short time. It's not everyday that the market fluctuates as much as this. The Aussie dollar has risen and fallen by almost 10 cents each day over the last few days!

I picked a slot at the high end and jumped in. It's risen a couple of cents above and fallen a lot below, but that's always the case. Set a realistic value that you will be happy with and go for it when it hits that value.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Set a realistic value that you will be happy with and go for it when it hits that value.
But that is the BIG question- what is that realistic value? The other day, it didn't look like 2.4 was out of the question...

You either try to do some research, and watch and learn, or better off totally ignoring the whole thing, buying $ when you need it, and hoping for luck, as far as I can see.
Probably the 2nd is no worse than the 1st option
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

debbie76 will become famous soon enoughdebbie76 will become famous soon enough

just came home from work and see exchange rate is in free fall again gutted whats going on:curse:
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrier1000
wish i had exchanged some aswell for my holiday in 2 weeks, but thought i'd wait and see if it goes any higher. :curse:
You must be planning a very expensive holiday for it make a significant difference!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:19 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie76
just came home from work and see exchange rate is in free fall again gutted whats going on:curse:
Financial markets reacting favourably to US plans to rescue their banking system = a couple of good days on the stock markets. Appetite for risk is returning and so buying of aussie dollars. Could all be completely misplaced optimism and rate may end up going back up again........or we've seen the worst of the financial problems now and aussie dollar will continue to strengthen against the pound.

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 19th 2008 at 9:59 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

terrier1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
You must be planning a very expensive holiday for it make a significant difference!
not really

got all my transfers sorted, just need to pay for a couple of day trips in cairns and maybe one in sydney.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:54 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzap
But that is the BIG question- what is that realistic value? The other day, it didn't look like 2.4 was out of the question...

You either try to do some research, and watch and learn, or better off totally ignoring the whole thing, buying $ when you need it, and hoping for luck, as far as I can see.
Probably the 2nd is no worse than the 1st option
I don't see the reasoning that just because the rate rose to 2.3 very quickly that it will go to 2.4?

If it was an isolated situation in Australia or the UK that was affecting the rate then that might be the case. However, it's instability in global markets that's fluctuated all currencies. The UK £ is as much affected by all of this as the Aussie $ - and possibly more so.

Over the last few days the $ tended to lose value during the Aussie trading day and the £ lost value during the UK trading day. It's extremely difficult to predict what's going to happen, but it is possible to pick up on trends like this, and also to react on significant news releases e.g. the US Fed announcing a rescue package for AIG.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kalenge
I don't see the reasoning that just because the rate rose to 2.3 very quickly that it will go to 2.4?

If it was an isolated situation in Australia or the UK that was affecting the rate then that might be the case. However, it's instability in global markets that's fluctuated all currencies. The UK £ is as much affected by all of this as the Aussie $ - and possibly more so.
Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.