Exchange rates

Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:04 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Exchange rates

With all the doom and gloom surrounding the exchange rate, I thought I'd offer up a different point of view.

Im still in the UK, and have been keeping an eye on seek.com.au, I rekon I will able to bag a job somewhere approaching $100k au.

Now at an exchange rate of 2.5, that means ill be earning about £40k not a bad wage, and I should manage, but with an exchange rate of 2 that is like getting a £10k payrise for nothing. now how did that happen...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange rates

Originally Posted by MarkMC
With all the doom and gloom surrounding the exchange rate, I thought I'd offer up a different point of view.

Im still in the UK, and have been keeping an eye on seek.com.au, I rekon I will able to bag a job somewhere approaching $100k au.

Now at an exchange rate of 2.5, that means ill be earning about £40k not a bad wage, and I should manage, but with an exchange rate of 2 that is like getting a £10k payrise for nothing. now how did that happen...
That is just brilliant.

Mike. Wishing I'd have thought of that.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Hope you're not planning on living in Sydney or Melbourne as $100k won't go very far...
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Devlin
Hope you're not planning on living in Sydney or Melbourne as $100k won't go very far...
There you go again Devlin pointing out a negative!!!

Please dont make un just comments. I have family in Melbourne and we have discussed at length what you need to earn to live on. Now you may find it hard to live on that sum but this is relative to each case. My Aunt has three children and they all go to fee paying schools, they live on 10 acres OK an hour out of CBD but thats their choice, Uncle works in CBD earning around $70,000, they live in my opinion very well. Like I say its all relative, you may want a porche and eat in swish restaurants and flash around with designer suites etc, but I would not rate those things not being a label person. I rate however the space, peace and tranquility of the country side and the beach within 10 - 15 mins and being able to afford to live in a house that I consider larger than I could afford in UK (even with price increases).

So please Devlin do not judge on your terms as everyone does not have the same benchmarks as you. (obviously because you cannot see why we want to leave UK to go to Oz).

I am going to look for more posts from you on your profile because I am concerned that you are being seen as a bit of a grumpy guy and maybe thats not the case? I hope I dont find loads on Moving back to UK forum?. Come on Devlin me old mate smile be happy

Cheryl

Last edited by stevensfamily; Feb 21st 2008 at 2:27 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:34 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Cheryl

Thanks for that reply, There are some people on here who just throw negatives in to the equation and get people worried....

This thread was only meant as a light hearted joke...

Last edited by MarkMC; Feb 21st 2008 at 2:37 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

It's not that I would want designer gear, but I would want to be (like most people I would think) closer to a CBD. I can't imagine there would be many high paying jobs out there anyway.

You lot don't like hearing the reality from an Aussie who spent 25 years there do you? And I was there when the cost of living and the quality of life was MUCH better.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

It's not that I would want designer gear, but I would want to be (like most people I would think) closer to a CBD. I can't imagine there would be many high paying jobs out there anyway.

You lot don't like hearing the reality from an Aussie who spent 25 years there do you? And I was there when the cost of living and the quality of life was MUCH better.

I do want to hear reality, very much so and I suppose people like you who point out the negatives all the time allow us to make a fair and as well informed opinion as possible.

Unlike you however I do want, yes want, to live out of the CBD. I have two children and want them to grow up being able to get to the CBD by train later in life but have the freedom and space that rural/beach life provides. I will have to travel into the CBD and yes a commute is no pleasant but we have factored this in and for us US thats our choice for our kids. As I said you consider your choice that of MOST people but again thats why you cannot understand our decision to give Oz a go.

All those people on this site I am sure know that Oz is not utopia, if that is their opinion then a shock is coming, but please give us all credit for researching as best we can.

$100,000 will do nicely for the life we have researched and we believe we can achieve. No crystal ball just family who are Australians (my Aunt and Uncle are 40+ so have lived in Oz a little longer than you). They have pointed out the negatives to us and been very straight and yet we believe that this is right for us.

The exchange rate is a downer but will not deter us but we will be cautious and our plans have slightly changed from two years ago due to this external uncontrollable factor.

I hope that you have found UK far more affordable for your desired lifestyle Devlin

Cheryl
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I think saying "we lot" don't like hearing the reality is rather harsh. In all fairness its your view of reality, exactly the same as our view of reality is that we want to leave the UK (for a variety of reasons) but you don't hold with our view of things here. A lot of people from the UK don't want to live near a CBD, city life isn't for everyone. OK it is for you, but that just emphasises the point that whats right for one, isn't necessarily right for everyone.

As Cheryl pointed out it is worthwhile getting both perspectives, positive and negative, but there is no point in getting anti if people don't agree with you.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NikiL
I think saying "we lot" don't like hearing the reality is rather harsh. In all fairness its your view of reality, exactly the same as our view of reality is that we want to leave the UK (for a variety of reasons) but you don't hold with our view of things here. A lot of people from the UK don't want to live near a CBD, city life isn't for everyone. OK it is for you, but that just emphasises the point that whats right for one, isn't necessarily right for everyone.

As Cheryl pointed out it is worthwhile getting both perspectives, positive and negative, but there is no point in getting anti if people don't agree with you.
Thank you for balancing the opinion I do not want this to be an argument between two posters and Devlin and I have come across each other a few times and I bear him no malice. I think he is maybe far younger and has different desires for his life and to be honest I applaud him for making the choice to live in UK. We are going through the jump at the moment and its a big step and I understand that Devlin exchanged his investments at $3 so he has experienced exactly what we are now just opposite. He is correct that the exchange rate is reality but he must also realise that for those of us with children, or those who have worked for a lot longer than him and have a nest egg to transfer that now differs to that when decisions to put in Visa's were made it does hurt.

These posts are important to me because I am discussing something that is very much a big fear and for my childrens sake I must try to take the right steps to ensure their future.

Devlin no harm meant really but please when placing opposing statements please make them without harsh feelings and rationally realising that those who have posted this subject are looking for support and opinions that help or inform.

I have taken on board a number of posters who have in their opinion advised the rate will drop further and that advice has been negative but placed with supporting argument which is valid and informative.

I wish you no malice Devlin and please continue to offer your constructive opinions but please try not to turn this useful thread nasty as it does upset people who are sensitive at this most stressful time.

British Expats is my rock and so informative. Thanks to those who are debating the next step with me.

Cheryl
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

No worries Cheryl. I am an Aussie after all and don't take offence easily

I just get the distinct impression sometimes on here that people don't want to hear the contrarian view. I have experience moving to the other side of the world and probably have more in common with people here than they sometimes realise.

Australia is a great country, however some people seem to want to only discuss the positives and try and ignore anything else. A large number of Brits who emigrate actually don't even last there for 3 years! If I was in your position I would want brutal honesty at all times. Even if that isn't good for your "karma"

yes I am probably younger than you (early 30s), but I do have quite a large amount of investments all over the place - including Australia.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:37 pm
mmmmmm duff

Devlin - thanks for the kick up the backside, I have looked harder, I know its not much better, but I have found some jobs paying $150,000 is that more to your liking? Where a bouts are you in the UK? I've worked with some great Aussies in my time and may well know you......
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I just get the distinct impression sometimes on here that people don't want to hear the contrarian view. I have experience moving to the other side of the world and probably have more in common with people here than they sometimes realise.
I totally agree with Devlins post regarding the reluctance of people to take on negative/honest opinions, He may have sounded a little glib, but I can confirm that you will certainly struggle with children on 100K if you want to live in Sydney, wages are creeping up but slowly, and cost of living is not really that different to the UK, infact the supermarkets here are more expensive if anything (but that's just woolies price gouging

Australia is a great country, however some people seem to want to only discuss the positives and try and ignore anything else. A large number of Brits who emigrate actually don't even last there for 3 years! If I was in your position I would want brutal honesty at all times. Even if that isn't good for your "karma"
We've ping ponged a few times , UK, OZ , UK, now OZ and will do so again for a few years before the kids reach their teens, I totally agree it can be a very stressful time, but I can say that it does get easier if you have realistic expectations and don't get upset about the little stuff, the big ticket items are obviously health, Kids , income, and location, after that not much else matters. and no not everyone has a pool!!!!

Also what has worked for us, is to take only one big risk at a time, i.e, when moving country don't also try to change your total lifestyle (i.e. stay in the same job to guarantee some stability) in one go, just take one big step at a time, that way you can focus on the real issues if they occur.

g'luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:25 pm
mmmmmm duff

I'm happy to take the negative comments if they come with a reason but "$100K is not enough" does not really help..... $100K s not enough to live near the city/beach and bring up kids would be better..... Please give some more details

Edit... we dont have children and that is only my income, Kerry will also be earning.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

oops, sorry,

100K for one and possible increased double Income no Kids (DINK's ) is actually OK in Sydney, If it's just the two of you then it is affordable provided your OH pulls in around 30-60+ on top, then you could manage a nice beach burb apartment or perhaps even a 10 min walk back in Manly.

100K is definitely not enough with Kids, each Kid costs about 20K per annum, so with 3 Kids, 2 Adults, we are looking at 160k odd per annum gross, which is about what I earn.

DINK's also have the (and I mean this in a nice way) the ablilty to live in smaller and therefore cheaper accom in the same burbs as the larger more expensive houses.

What you really want to avoid doing (and I know some people are going to get annoyed with this ) is to avoid at all costs the need to use a car to commute on Sydney Motorways to work, because it is in my view, clearly unsustainable.

That effectively puts all of the Sydney outer burbs, Liverpool, Campelltown etc out of the picture.

ps. we are SIT KNOT's which is Single Income Three Kids No Own Time
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm happy to take the negative comments if they come with a reason but "$100K is not enough" does not really help..... $100K s not enough to live near the city/beach and bring up kids would be better..... Please give some more details

Edit... we dont have children and that is only my income, Kerry will also be earning.
As I said earlier its all relative and in my opinion we could live comfortably with our two children on $100,000. My Aunt lives comfortably with three children in a 4 bed house on 10 acres 1 and 1/2 hours from CBD. We could live in the same type of house on smaller block 3/4 acre 1 hour from CBD for same money near the sea (5 mins) country side and train commute in Melbourne, $100,000 would keep us in the style we are used to. This we have gleaned based on my Aunts lifestyle with three children in private school Uncle earns $75,000 in CBD.

Sydney maybe very different and Perth I suppose due to very high house prices but I am no expert can only state the lifestyle we have researched.

I would also confirm that your weekly shop will be the same overall (some items more expensive some cheaper) as UK, other overheads in gernral the same or very slightly cheaper so all in all around the same for general outgoings. Entertainment we found cheaper (or free!) loads of sports clubs etc to fill spare time and outdoor persuits cheap or free. Dont know about everyone else but bad weather leads to unnecesarry shopping or outings that cost serious money. Free walks on beach country side fav pastime for our family so free!!!. You will do the same in Oz as here, work, shop for food and pay bills but leisure time can be cheap in Oz.

If you have £ to $ savings that were you make savings (even with vad exchange) because the houses (further out CBD) are affordable mortgage as % of outgoings is vastly reduced (well in our case).

Anyway its more than money but $100,000 in my opinion in Melbourne is great

Cheryl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.