exchange rates

Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Default Re: exchange rates

Thanks Alistair,

Out of interest if you do end up paying capital gains tax on your savings due to an improved exchange rate what percentage of that do they grab?
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:17 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Now I know I said stay cool, but just spoke to a money man who says that in their opinion the AUD$ will strengthen even more after the election!

Sorry folks

But as I said you can't do much about it

PJ
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I got a question.......

What happens if we have arrived in Oz, not sold the house yet, so dont have any money to transfer....in 3 months time we do sell the house and transfer it immediately.....how does that work with the CGT????
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:10 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hels
Ok, I got a question.......

What happens if we have arrived in Oz, not sold the house yet, so dont have any money to transfer....in 3 months time we do sell the house and transfer it immediately.....how does that work with the CGT????
Hels,
I think you get 6 months to move your money & pensions, after that it's TAX time

Bye
Mark
Old Oct 7th 2004, 10:34 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 65 million
Thanks Alistair,

Out of interest if you do end up paying capital gains tax on your savings due to an improved exchange rate what percentage of that do they grab?
The marginal rate.

Regards
Alistair
Old Oct 8th 2004, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by markeh
Hels,
I think you get 6 months to move your money & pensions, after that it's TAX time

Bye
Mark
OMG :scared: I think I'm stuck in Groundhog Thread.

As said previously in this thread the 6 months only applies to pensions.

Hels,

with regards to your house question, I don't have any experience in this area. However, the basic rules of the game are that on your arrival date (to stay permanently) all of your assets are notionally converted to AUD. This is why cash gets CGT if you exchange later at a better rate. In the same way your house will be notionally converted into AUD. However CGT does not apply to any gain on your own home. So assuming that you havn't rented the property (at any time) and you convert the money as soon as you can after the sale then this should not be subject to CGT.

As I have said previously if you end up getting taxed on a gain then you have at least made a gain, which is better than a loss.

Regards
Alistair
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Just bought my first £30K worth of Aussie dollars through HIFX at a pitiful rate of 2.4403 getting us AU73,209

Had a chat with the currency broker in his "opinion" the current "floor level" is around 2.30. The uncertainty over the American election is forcing people to move money away from the USA, hence into Aus. He see's more interest rate rises in Aus next year and thinks the best window of opportunity in the near term is between November (post US election) and February2005. In his opinion the Australian economy is "too strong".

Our opinion is that this money we keep us in rent and food for at least one year or more if were careful and hopefully by then we can cash-in the other 2/3rds of our money.

Hope this helps anyone else suffering over the dilemma of changing money like us.

All the best,
65KK
Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:23 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Just bought my first £30K worth of Aussie dollars through HIFX at a pitiful rate of 2.4403 getting us AU73,209

Had a chat with the currency broker in his "opinion" the current "floor level" is around 2.30. The uncertainty over the American election is forcing people to move money away from the USA, hence into Aus. He see's more interest rate rises in Aus next year and thinks the best window of opportunity in the near term is between November (post US election) and February2005. In his opinion the Australian economy is "too strong".

Our opinion is that this money we keep us in rent and food for at least one year or more if were careful and hopefully by then we can cash-in the other 2/3rds of our money.

Hope this helps anyone else suffering over the dilemma of changing money like us.

All the best,
65KK

makes total sense to me
Old Oct 8th 2004, 10:37 am

All the best,
65KK
Hello,

I don't know the answer to this one, but with the situation described above you might want to investigate a bit more.

If you hold an asset for more than 12 months you get a 50% discount on the CGT. I'm not sure if this applies to cash.

Anyone out there know?

Note: for ATO purposes you start owning the asset on the day you arrived, not the day you acquired it in the UK.

Regards
Alistair
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

letsg2au is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=steveyp]I don't know about HIFX they seem to generally take the easy approach to predictions, they told me we would never see a 2.5 this year.

QUOTE]

HIFX - NOT professional at all, dealing with them I lost thousands

Last edited by letsg2au; Oct 8th 2004 at 12:25 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=letsg2au]
Originally Posted by steveyp
I don't know about HIFX they seem to generally take the easy approach to predictions, they told me we would never see a 2.5 this year.

QUOTE]

HIFX - NOT professional at all, dealing with them I lost thousands
Go on tell us your story.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Now I know I said stay cool, but just spoke to a money man who says that in their opinion the AUD$ will strengthen even more after the election!

Sorry folks

But as I said you can't do much about it

PJ
The pound is up today just not as musch as the AUD hence losses against AUD, I would say from the range of trading today high 2.4627 and low 2.4371 that there is lots of speculation in the market. AUD looked well down today until the London and US markets opened. I am hanging in there for a turn around... 2.50 and I will be happy
Old Oct 9th 2004, 7:50 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steveyp
The pound is up today just not as musch as the AUD hence losses against AUD, I would say from the range of trading today high 2.4627 and low 2.4371 that there is lots of speculation in the market. AUD looked well down today until the London and US markets opened. I am hanging in there for a turn around... 2.50 and I will be happy
If the price of oil keeps going up then the exchange rate will keep moving in our favour, especially if OPEC can't meet the demands of the expanding Chineese economy, and if the Nigerians go on their threatened strike. This will have an affect on the strength of the Australian dollar. If I can get 2.50 next month I'll take it :-)

TBEB
Old Oct 9th 2004, 1:34 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

It's not CGT that is payable on non-A$ currency exchange gains any more ... this was superseded by the new forex tax provisions that were introduced during the last (2003/04) tax year.

Best regards.

Thanks Alistair,

Old Oct 9th 2004, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
It's not CGT that is payable on non-A$ currency exchange gains any more ... this was superseded by the new forex tax provisions that were introduced during the last (2003/04) tax year.

Best regards.
Thanks Alan.

I guess that answers my last question; that is, one doesn't get the 50% CGT discount after 12 months.

Regards
Alistair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.