exchange rates

Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:18 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchange rates

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Bundy

We have an account in Williamstown with the Commonwealth Bank and we currently live in Scotland. The interest on our Commonwealth account has 10% NRWT (non-resident witholding tax) deducted at source - so we are credited with 90% of the interest. At the moment we get 5.35% gross interest and 4.815% net interest. A NR is one with an overseas address - perhaps if you have an Aussie address this is where your 47% tax comes in?

BTW don't anyone tell ATO if our bank are doing the wrong thing presently!

OzTennis
I'm sure you're right! We did ask the little bank in Tamworth, NSW. I doubt they'd ever encountered anything like this before.

They did say that had we not mentioned that I was a non-res, they wouldn't have questionned it

Mr B still has his permanent address at his dad's in Oz (his address as far as the bank is concerned). And I still have my TFN, in theory. Might contact the bank to ask about this.....

BTW - ETA is a 3 month tourist visa. When I had a working holiday visa I held a bank account and wasn't charged any abnormal taxes (just the usual list of fees and charges )
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

fraze1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bundy
I think I might have the info at home....I'll see if I can find it and post back later.

All I know is that our joint account would have been taxed at the high rate despite Mr B being an aussie whereas we don't get taxed for having me as a named person on his account despite me not being an aussie (yet )
Bundy,

No need to dig the info out! - had a reply from Polyanna on a seperate thread saying she opened an account on an ETA in simialr circumstances to mine - thanks for the offer now. Now need to go and have a lie down to try and make sense of the tax implications
Thanks for your time!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Ooh...this is becoming a little complicated now. I'm not sure what an ETA is. Is it a working visa?

Hopefully this will answer your question.

If you are a tax resident in the UK and you move your money into AUD then you will not be hit with any CGT when you get to Oz. In theory, for the purposes of the ATO, all of your assets are notionally converted to AUD on the day that you arrive. Any real AUD you have at the point will still be the same number of AUD when you come to the end of the tax year, so there is no gain. You can however be taxed on any interest you make. Any interest made while you are a UK tax resident will be taxed at 10% by the ATO (a witholding tax). You will also have to run this through the UK system. Any interest you earn when you become an Oz tax resident will be taxed under ATO rules. If you do not get a TFN the bank will withold 47% for tax purposes. The bank rebated my witheld tax when I sent them a TFN (the ATO will eventually get their proper slice).

I assume that if you are on a working visa and you are a tax resident you will be taxed at your marginal rate if you have a TFN and at 47% if you don't.

I'm not sure what counts as your day of arrival if you start with a working visa and then become PR. I believe that you have to leave the country to validate you PR and would assume that the return date becomes your day of arrival. Anyone out there know more about this?

Cheers
Alistair
ETA is the thing you get when get a online tourist visa - not a sticker anymore but an electronic tourist authority or something like that!

You won't get hit with 47% tax if you don't have a TFN, you get hit with 47% if you are a non-resident. We are NR, don't have a TFN and the C'w bank takes just 10% NRWT.

On the subject of exchange rates I just dug out these actual rates that we got for some of our transfers to our C'w a/c. They might make interesting reading. Someone somewhere said sub $2.30 or $2.40 is normal for the E/R -rubbish as these figures show:

25/3/98 $2.49
17/6/98 $2.71
25/9/98 $2.86
15/1/99 $2.61
28/5/99 $2.43
29/10/99 $2.54
3/2/00 $2.49
29/9/00 $2.70
29/3/01 $2.90
27/9/01 $3.04
27/6/02 $2.68
3/3/03 $2.56
3/9/03 $2.45
23/6/04 $2.61

And the average for all our transfers since 1998? $2.64

And the rate in 1980? $1.33

OzTennis
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraze1987
Bundy,

No need to dig the info out! - had a reply from Polyanna on a seperate thread saying she opened an account on an ETA in simialr circumstances to mine - thanks for the offer now. Now need to go and have a lie down to try and make sense of the tax implications
Thanks for your time!

I'll never understand all this stuff

But thank god I don't have to go digging about in all my visa stuff to find what I was thinking of!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Maybe this article explains the pounds slide???...

The pound rose to a month high against the dollar, tracking the dollar's slide, but continued to weaken against the euro after this morning's Nationwide house price survey for September continued to show subdued growth.

The survey showed British house prices rose just 0.2 percent from August and said activity is set to remain at lower levels over the coming months.

Growing evidence of a cooling in the housing market has caused the market to reconsider its view on the outlook for interest rates, with most seeing little scope for further hikes by the Bank of England.

Originally Posted by bundy
I'll never understand all this stuff

But thank god I don't have to go digging about in all my visa stuff to find what I was thinking of!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Sterling remains weak on slipping house prices
Economy News
- LONDON (AFP)

AFP/FileSterling remained weak after this morning's survey by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors showed house prices slipped in August as higher interest rates take their toll.

Market participants are now awaiting tomorrow's release of the minutes from the Monetary Policy Committee's September meeting, which are expected to show that MPC members voted unanimously to leave rates unchanged.

HSBC analyst Margaret Browne said the minutes are likely to be "more dovish than hawkish", given recent comments from various MPC members suggesting they believe rates are near their peak.

Meanwhile, the Swiss Franc benefited from safe haven flows as oil prices rose sharply again on supply concerns.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

If you have any of these dollars going spare

[QUOTE]
27/9/01 $3.04
QUOTE]

I may be able to help you........Shall we say $3.00 ?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:27 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by OzTennis

You won't get hit with 47% tax if you don't have a TFN, you get hit with 47% if you are a non-resident. We are NR, don't have a TFN and the C'w bank takes just 10% NRWT.

OzTennis
I'm not sure whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me , but to paraphrase my original post:

- If you are a UK tax payer (i.e. non-resident in Oz) you will pay a 10% witholding tax.

- If you are a Oz tax payer (i.e. tax resident in Oz) and you do not supply a TFN you will pay a 47% witholding tax.

Regards
Alistair
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm getting really baffled:

I have perm residency visa and arrive in Melbourne on Wed 8th December. We have set up a migrant account with Commonwealth Bank and just waiting for the exchange rate to improve be we move it over.

Q1. I have also set up an account with HIFX and was going to move the money there and then onto Aus Commonwealth bank as I was under the impression we'd get better exchange rates this way, is this so?
Q2. Is there or is there not a 6 month "window" after arrival in oz in which to exchange your money tax free?
Q3. Am I going to be taxed at 47% (or any other %) on placing my life savings in the commonwealth bank?????? :scared: :scared:

If someone could please answer these three quesions I "may" just sleep a little better at night.

cheers,
65KK
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 65 million

I have perm residency visa and arrive in Melbourne on Wed 8th December. We have set up a migrant account with Commonwealth Bank and just waiting for the exchange rate to improve be we move it over.

Q1. I have also set up an account with HIFX and was going to move the money there and then onto Aus Commonwealth bank as I was under the impression we'd get better exchange rates this way, is this so?
Q2. Is there or is there not a 6 month "window" after arrival in oz in which to exchange your money tax free?
Q3. Am I going to be taxed at 47% (or any other %) on placing my life savings in the commonwealth bank?????? :scared: :scared:

If someone could please answer these three quesions I "may" just sleep a little better at night.

cheers,
65KK
Hi,
I will try and help.
1. You use HIFX as a broker to buy Aus $$ , you dont get a better exchange rate, you normally get around 3cents less than the "pound rate" . They will tell you all about it when you open an account.

2. I also thought this, but the answer is no! you get stuffed with CGT on any gain in the exchange after you move. 6 month rule apply's to pensions , im told.

3. If you decide to transfer some over now (before you move) you will only get taxed on 10% of the "interest" made.

When you arrive you will be resident , so you will hav to apply for a tax file number, or you will get taxed at 47% on any "interest" made. when you have your TFN, you get taxed on interest earned at the ATO income rate (just like you would get taxed on your savings in UK.)

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:07 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

cheers,
65KK
Sent you a PM, I to am losing sleep

PJ
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:21 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

cheers,
65KK
Hello,

Answers to your questions, with some of my own experiences.

1) HIFX do give a good rate. I also found them easy to use.

2) There is no 6 months grace (this only applies to pensions).

3a) If you earn any interest before you arrive, you will be taxed at 10% by ATO which can be ofset against your IR bill.

3b) In between the time of my arrival and getting my TFN, the bank held onto 47% of the interest I made (i.e. took it out of my account). Once I sent them the TFN they put the money back into my account. At some point in the future I will declare the interest to the ATO and they will take an approriate amount of tax.

Regards
Alistair
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for your reply's, all is clear now. For a moment I thought they were helping themselves to 47% of your actual money! I really do appreciate how helpfull eveyone is on this site- cheers!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Now we have sorted that out,

whats everyone goint to do? are you going to just bite the bullet and buy now, or are you going to wait and hope for a rise, and pay the CGT on the rise.?

I cant make my mind up.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

One quic question Alistair,

Who/what is anATO?

Does the governemnt not automatically take its tax from your account like they do in the UK???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.