Exchange rates

Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

kakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant future
Unhappy Exchange rates

Hi

Does anyone know the reason why the exchange rate is getting
worse over the last few days? Is going to get worse or better??
Whats your thoughts on this. I thought that the recent rise in interest
rates in the Uk would have made the pound stronger!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:55 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rates

Originally Posted by kakadu chris
Hi

What's the rate now?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

The latest inflation figures make a rate rise next month less likely, hence the fall in the value of the pound. If the markets are expecting a change it will have no effect on rates. However, what will make a difference is if they think that UK rates will rise either higher or faster than originally expected, or conversely that Oz rates will change more/less or quicker/slower than expected.

As to what will happen next - If I knew then I wouldn't be sitting here trying to make a living, but sunning myself on a beach somewhere

Alastair
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

kakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant futurekakadu chris has a brilliant future

exactly my thoughts about sitting on the beach!!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got 2.55 with HSBC UK to HSBC Aus

Paul
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:03 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=kakadu chris]Hi

Is going to get worse or better??
Whats your thoughts on this. QUOTE]

Sorry, dont have a crystal ball...
Is Mystic Meg around anywhere?
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kakadu chris
Hi

It was a lot worse a few months ago.

G
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

Impossible to say, its basically been gently sliding since the beginning of August and I was holding on for the interest rate rise in the UK, which made no difference at all, given that I must transfer by the middle of next week I took what I could get it case it drops back down to the levels of early May.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

The wife agreed $2.55 today with HIFX.

HIFX are saying that that the word on the street is that the Oz interest rate will probably go up at the next meeting and the markets appear to be anticipating this - hence the drop

Better than it was 3 months ago when it dropped to $2.30 and not as good as 4 weeks ago when it was $2.70 but hey you've gotta duck n dive, wheel and deal.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Billabong
The wife agreed $2.55 today with HIFX.

HIFX are saying that that the word on the street is that the Oz interest rate will probably go up at the next meeting and the markets appear to be anticipating this - hence the drop

Better than it was 3 months ago when it dropped to $2.30 and not as good as 4 weeks ago when it was $2.70 but hey you've gotta duck n dive, wheel and deal.
Also teh Bank of England inflation report (essential reading for alll would-be currency traders ) was published today and seemed to show that UK inflation is not expected to go up as fast as orignally thought. Another reason for the pound to slip as UK rates will go up a bit slower now

Alastair