Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate ...what's happening???

Exchange Rate ...what's happening???

Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:07 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Default Exchange Rate ...what's happening???

Anyone know why the exchange rate is sliding down below 2.4????
We need to exchange money late March and are getting more and more nervous!

Help!!!!!!!!!!:scared:
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate ...what's happening???

Originally Posted by cagandchris

You can get some free advice from a companycalled HIFX. Try their website at www.hifx.co.uk They also allow you to do forward trades. They will explain how this works - too complicated for me to attempt it here. I have used them several time to move money across to Australia and they have always been very efficient. Good luck - I am also needing to bring enough across to put towards a home but have been delaying until the rate improves. I will get better - but who knows when.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange Rate ...what's happening???

Originally Posted by cagandchris

The Australian dollar rose after employment data massively overshot expectations. Australia created a net 44,500 new jobs in January, against forecasts of just 5,000, while unemployment remained at a 28-year low of 5.1 per cent. The data came just days after the Reserve Bank of Australia, citing a lack of spare capacity, said: “The likelihood of further monetary policy tightening being required in the months ahead had increased.�

“The report has landed firmly in the 'hawks' camp. Such news is a yield-seekers delight with Aussie rates already enjoying a 275-basis point premium over comparable US rates,� said Neil Mellor, currency strategist at Bank of New York

“The data reinforced recent media speculation that the RBA will increase rates soon,� said Tim Fox, head of market strategy at National Australia Bank.

As a result the Australian unit firmed 1.5 per cent to $0.7827 against its US namesake and 1.4 per cent to Y82.64 against the yen.