Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate, what about investments?

Exchange rate, what about investments?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Jessy69 is on a distinguished road
Default Exchange rate, what about investments?

I have money in stocks and funds, when will this get exchanged to $, when I take them out in Oz?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Exchange rate, what about investments?

Originally Posted by Jessy69
I have money in stocks and funds, when will this get exchanged to $, when I take them out in Oz?
I assume you have money and stocks in funds denominated in British Pounds?

I would've thought you'd need to exit these funds and deposit the cash into GBP bank accounts and then it would be up to you when you want to convert the money into Australian dollars.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jessy69
As Devlin says....if you want to convert them to $ you will have to sell them first. Otherwise they will remain in pounds in whichever brokerage you hold them.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

They will be valued at whatever their closing price is on the day you leave. This only happens if you declare them in your assets. The reality is that until you sell the shares there is no gain in the UK and when you arrive in Aus your base price becomes the price when you arrived. Do not sell them prior to leaving. Edit, unless they are showing a loss..

Mike.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Put your money into Berkshire Hathaway stock and relax.