Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate this week...anyone got a clue what's going on???

Exchange rate this week...anyone got a clue what's going on???

Old Jul 2nd 2004, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Exchange rate this week...anyone got a clue what's going on???

Been speaking to the C B A all week about the exchange rates and waiting for a right time to trade on our sterling.

The damn thing just kept sliding the last few days.

This is not good. It's like a game of chicken this is....at what point do you stick your neck out and take the money and run??

Anyone who's up on this sort of thing help out here as none of it makes much sense to me???!!
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 7:07 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Exchange rate this week...anyone got a clue what's going on???

Originally posted by dave.t
Been speaking to the C B A all week about the exchange rates and waiting for a right time to trade on our sterling.

The damn thing just kept sliding the last few days.

This is not good. It's like a game of chicken this is....at what point do you stick your neck out and take the money and run??

Anyone who's up on this sort of thing help out here as none of it makes much sense to me???!!
You need a crystal ball!!
However, the money people all say it is to do with the american dollar? Which means that the Australian dollar is getting weaker the right value for the AUD$ is around 2.30 alledgedly

You just have to make your own decision and take the risk I'm afraid

Paul J
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 7:09 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

This subject really is a lottery. The truth is that nobody knows, even the 'gurus' at HIFX and places like that dont know for sure. If they did then they wouldnt be working in the game as they would have maed millions trading on the various currencies around the world.

You could mayeb hedge your bets that an interest rate rise here, in the US or wherever may well tip the rate in our favour but you cannot guarantee it. The next terrorist attack in the world (lets hope it doesnt happen anywhere but realists know that it is very likely) will affect the worlds economy and therefore exchange rates.

From day to day people sit and wait to get the best deal. I purchased my currency on a forward contract when the rate was at a 6 month high some months ago and I got 2.45. Was I gutted when it hit 2.6 / 2.7.......well yeah and no. Of course I would have loved the extra, who wouldnt, but I knew I had got a rate higher than it had been for quite some time. It was also one less thing to stress about and I have to say since I have stopped tracking the rates every day I feel better.

The long and the short of is, nobody knows what is going to happen. You have to go for it and bite the bullet. If you get a good rate and it drops then cool, if you get a low rate and it then rises, its unfortunate.

Bite the bullet and go for it. Money helps but isnt the be all and end all.
Old Jul 2nd 2004, 8:01 pm

chris n will become famous soon enoughchris n will become famous soon enough

Dave

'At what point do you stick your kneck out...' - you sound like some octogenarian from B6 who has been waiting nearly forty years to take a gamble!

Seriously, as these guys say you just have to go for it when you need to - you can't lose money that you never had in the first place.

Anyway - where are you heading to?

S.O.T.C

Chris
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by chris n
Dave

'At what point do you stick your kneck out...' - you sound like some octogenarian from B6 who has been waiting nearly forty years to take a gamble!

Seriously, as these guys say you just have to go for it when you need to - you can't lose money that you never had in the first place.

Anyway - where are you heading to?

S.O.T.C

Chris
We're off to Perth on Friday, me the wife and two small kids...oh and the ill cat!!

The rate was at 2.55 on Friday to we have to bite the bullet this week and exchange the money from our house sale. Bummer it's not still at 2.6.

Oh...double S.O.T.C

Old Jul 3rd 2004, 6:58 pm

Dave

We aim to be heading for Perth soon to - though house only just up for sale so it will be a few months yet.

Perhaps we'll get to have a S.O.T.C toast together with a bottle of Swan one day - I know there is a Villa enclave in Adelaide but have never heard of the same in Perth (yet).

Good luck for next week,

Chris
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think yourselves, lucky I know aload of peeps who had to exchange at 2.33

booboo
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

If you take a look at a five year chart, to me it seems the dollar is slowly weakening. Of course it doesnt go in a straight line and is quite usual for these peaks and troughs on its journey. As al of us this is just my opinion but going by the charts alone I expect the rate to be in the $2.80's by the time we change our money at the end of this year.

See attached 5 year chart

all the best,
65KK:lecture:
Attached Thumbnails Exchange rate this week...anyone got a clue what's going on???-caursb74.gif  
Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by chris n
Dave

We aim to be heading for Perth soon to - though house only just up for sale so it will be a few months yet.

Perhaps we'll get to have a S.O.T.C toast together with a bottle of Swan one day - I know there is a Villa enclave in Adelaide but have never heard of the same in Perth (yet).

Good luck for next week,

Chris
I am aware of the Adelaide lot but the official Villa fan club is based in Perth ( check out the Villa web site )

I e-mailed the lady who runs it last year and I will be the 12th member ! perhaps you could make it lucky 13 .

The Albion and scum games are on sky so with any luck I will get to see them in Oz , with any luck down the pub with the other 11 .

Keep in touch and let us know when you arrive .

Dave
Old Jul 5th 2004, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

bleugh is on a distinguished road

Personally i'd hold off trading a little while

I've just done a 9 year plot in excel, and the only year that the AUD ended LOWER in december than it started in January was last year!

from the plots it seems that June-august is the 'dip point' of the year, with mad fluctuations, the currecy generally peaks in or just after september, then dips and settles

on average, over 9 years, in december the pound has ended .092 AUD higher than at the beginning (9.2 cents more for your pound!)

looking at the current year, i'd say that we're at about the minimum and things will only go up from here!

even looking at an average of averages, the first 7 months of the year always trade at below the last 5 months!

So, in summary, hold off a month or two if you're looking at trading now!, come december you could get one more dollar for every 12 you buy! than you would today
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:08 pm

Bleugh & 65 Million

You two need to get out more often!

Seriously, that's good news for us as we aim to head out December / January time.

Chris
Old Jul 5th 2004, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Chris

I would consider bring over a potential difference of au$50k something to consider seriously. If your one of the fortunate with money to burn then good luck to you. For the rest of us this makes quite a difference to our lives so is important.

:lecture: