Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate Strengthening?

Exchange Rate Strengthening?

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road
Default Exchange Rate Strengthening?

OK a question to all the clever economists who frequent the forum. It looks like the exchange rate is improving a touch over the last few days, what factors are affecting this?? speculation of a rate rise on thursday, or anything else i should know about. We will very shortly need to exchange £40000 to pay for some land in Perth, small fluctuations obviously make big diff.

Any advise would be welcome.

Angie

(whos original caluculations to move were based on 2.9:scared: )
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets hope it keeps on rising

booboo
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange Rate Strengthening?

Originally posted by brummie bird
OK a question to all the clever economists who frequent the forum. It looks like the exchange rate is improving a touch over the last few days, what factors are affecting this?? speculation of a rate rise on thursday, or anything else i should know about. We will very shortly need to exchange £40000 to pay for some land in Perth, small fluctuations obviously make big diff.

Any advise would be welcome.

Angie

Sorry fact is that not even central bankers have much idea about forex. Rate of change $A/GBP exchange rate now low so timing not as critical even if you could time it.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Sorry fact is that not even central bankers have much idea about forex. Rate of change $A/GBP exchange rate now low so timing not as critical even if you could time it.
Agree with that. I was reading about speculation of a possible UK interest rate rise in February or March because of the better than expected Christmas spending figures from many of the major retail chains. Equally though there has been speculation of further rate rises in Australia. So as Megs says rate movements in the very near future are not likely to be dramatic. Sub $2.40's or even sub $2.30's rather than a return to the $2.80's/$2.90's seems to be the most realistic rate to factor into plans for much of 2004.

OzTennis
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

My advice would be to toss a coin, pick your lucky number or favourite day and just go for it. Use the fx rate you can get on that day, spend your AS $ and move on and enjoy life.

There are many people out there following fx rates for a living and as Megs said they have little more clue than you or else they would have retired on their millions by now.

The long term trend for the time being seems to be down - on a daily basis its a gamble, so just throw the dice!
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
My advice would be to toss a coin, pick your lucky number or favourite day and just go for it. Use the fx rate you can get on that day, spend your AS $ and move on and enjoy life.

There are many people out there following fx rates for a living and as Megs said they have little more clue than you or else they would have retired on their millions by now.

The long term trend for the time being seems to be down - on a daily basis its a gamble, so just throw the dice!
Yep, roll them dice! Even George Soros and Warren Buffett have had their fingers burned spectacularly at times in the fx market.

OzTennis
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:47 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

just make sure you go through a decent currencies broker like the one I linked to on another thread... will save you thousands... just need an Oz bank account for it to be transferred to (HSBC online is popular by the sounds of it)
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Stormz
just make sure you go through a decent currencies broker online )
Using halewood the rate hit a high of 2.42 yesterday, stands at 2.4 at the mo.

Looks like around this figure is the best i can expect, I know that nobody can predict the rates, i was more interested in any impending factors that may influence it. Isnt there a chance of an english rate increase on thurs, is it possible that will effect it.

Angie.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Using halewood the rate hit a high of 2.42 yesterday, stands at 2.4 at the mo.

Looks like around this figure is the best i can expect, I know that nobody can predict the rates, i was more interested in any impending factors that may influence it. Isnt there a chance of an english rate increase on thurs, is it possible that will effect it.

Angie.
That will have been factored into the rate days if not weeks ago. You will have to get your crystal ball out and look much further ahead.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice all, i think i will be securing the rate this week.

Angie
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:43 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

The point made on this site once before by another poster with regard exchange rates is expectations.

The market has an expectation and if actual figures or events differ slightly then the rate moves. I think the reason at the moment for the movement is Oz looks a little softer than expected and UK a little stronger than expected with regard GDP, housing and retail sales figures.

Also US fed changed its stance on future interest rate movements earlier than expected by the market albiet very slightly. Any future rate rises for the US are positive pound as we tend to move in loose sync with them. High growth USA also detracts from stable high yield aussie. The fact high growth USA is a little closer than expected moves the rate.

Thanks for the advice all, i think i will be securing the rate this week.

Angie
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:00 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I got 2.9
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for sharing that...................................NOT

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:11 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for sharing that...................................NOT

The pleasure was all mine !!
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:52 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough
Default equity markets...

just read on the online edition of 'the australian', that equity markets are picking up with aussies starting to shun property investments in favour of shares. if this marks the start of a global trend, large corporate investors (who are responsible for pushing up the dollar), may move out of aussie currency and go for shares meaning the dollar may start to fall. and, with shares on the rise, commodities become less attractive (gold) which is the other reason the AUD is on a high.

and then again, none of the above may happen!...

flying duthman

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.