Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate question....

Exchange rate question....

Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:43 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Exchange rate question....

If, for example, HIFX are advertising the daily exchange rate at 2.3, is that the rate you would get when changing your money?

Or does this amount differ alot and by how much?

Any info and examples anyone could share??????

Rob
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:55 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate question....

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
If, for example, HIFX are advertising the daily exchange rate at 2.3, is that the rate you would get when changing your money?

Or does this amount differ alot and by how much?

Any info and examples anyone could share??????

Rob
Normally when a company advertise a rate, it is the interbank rate which is the rate that a bank would achieve if it was buying/selling millions of units of currency. In reality, you will probably achieve a rate of about 1c beneath this. I exchanged some in November - The advertised rate was 2.381, but I got 2.3707 - That was with Moneycorp. They gave me one rate but I had done my homework, so dropped in some other companies names and rates. The guy went off to 'talk to his supervisor', then the rate increased. It was a bit like buying a car really.

Hope that helps.

S
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is give a few of them a call in the morning asking what rate (and more importantly how much in total) they will give you based on a few amounts you have in mind. If you do them all in quick succession then you'll have a better idea of who gives you the best one.

The only site I've seen which actually shows you different rates for different amounts is the Tranzfers/Ozforex one. Even then it's well worth talking to them as they have improved on those shown for me in the past.

Lastly - if it rises to somewhere you quite like but don't have all the cash available - go for a forward contract. 5% deposit will secure you the rate.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know answer to your question Rob but not long now...

Good luck to you

Hugs LAce x
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:11 pm
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

10 weeks to go!!!!

Thats if we exchange in a few weeks and doesn't fall through (Gulp) !!!!

All seems well so far, no upward chain and no downward chain and the buyers are pushing for a quick exchange....

Rob

Originally Posted by lacey21
Don't know answer to your question Rob but not long now...

Good luck to you

Hugs LAce x
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Rob, I am so pleased for you. You were one of the ones I was watching when I was waiting for my Vetassess to come back. You encouraged me.

I hope it all goes through fab for you

big hugs fab lace xxx