Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate New Highs!

Exchange Rate New Highs!

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:25 am
Monster Cat

Default Exchange Rate New Highs!

Hi

It seems the official exchange rate has jumped from 2.40 last night(which I was quite pleased with!) to 2.45 today alone!!!!! It's been 2.36/2.37 for ages now!
Anyone know what's going on in the world markets?

At this rate it's gonna hit 2.50 before xmas for sure!
Thanks
Jim

Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Exchange Rate New Highs!

Originally Posted by Monster Cat
Hi

It seems the official exchange rate has jumped from 2.40 last night(which I was quite pleased with!) to 2.45 today alone!!!!! It's been 2.36/2.37 for ages now!

Thanks
Jim
Sorry, just seen your post now. Seems it was down to weak retail sales figures (-0.7%) and building approvals (-2.4%) for october. Rate hike in january now seen as unlikely removing support for A$
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:46 am
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
Sorry, just seen your post now. Seems it was down to weak retail sales figures (-0.7%) and building approvals (-2.4%) for october. Rate hike in january now seen as unlikely removing support for A$
Jimbo ...

Does this mean that it will continue to rise or this is the best ?

S
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:47 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

It could make a big difference to someone heading out soon.....
Anyway, I see you're a newbie who has crept in without introducing himself. Come on Jim, tell us your story and why "this cat's got claws". We're all dying to know!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Lisa & Rich is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this may have something to do with it. Treasurer Paul Costello is concerned about the impact of a high AUD on exports and the size of the current account deficit.

Heres the link.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Lisa
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

mikeburt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Anyway, I see you're a newbie who has crept in without introducing himself. Come on Jim, tell us your story and why "this cat's got claws". We're all dying to know!
reading the Courier online it suggests that the 406billion dollar foreign debt has been a major factor-the dollar would appear to be over valued and thus exports have been hit rather heavily-so perhaps $2.50+ is on the cards in the short term,cheers!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 7:56 am
Monster Cat

Originally Posted by wmoore
All cats have claws! It's a factual statement...

Hi, I'm Jim and live in Adelaide with a monster cat and all my savings are still in the Uk! I enjoy music, golf and fishing. sometimes I've been known to frequent tupperware parties and I enjoy the smell of freshly ground coffee.
I love surfing and swimming and once won a gold medal in my schools 100 metre final. i.e an all round sporting God !
Hi everyone!
Jim

Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:02 am
Monster Cat

No worries, enjoyed reading your post - 2.50 here we come! Thing is, will I ever have the balls and actually bite the bullet and change my cash up! Been here 5 months and got greedy - The recent lull has taught me a lesson though!
Thanks
Jim

Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

I agree with monster cat and think we'll see 2.50 soon, but giving advice isn't easy - as nobody knows the future and the A$/£ rate must be one of the most difficult to forecast. If I had my house sale funds available now I would look to exchange 10-20% @ 2.50 and see what happens. If it goes wrong the other way i'd stop myself out at 2.25. (and let my wife beat me up !)

I just got some great news - we have got places accepted for our 2 girls in a small private church school in Sydney - it had been a major worry for us. With that sorted we'll be looking to move in January as the new school year starts on Feb 1st

Rgds Jim
Old Nov 30th 2004, 8:19 am

I agree with monster cat and think we'll see 2.50 soon, but giving advice isn't easy - as nobody knows the future and the A$/£ rate must be one of the most difficult to forecast. If I had my house sale funds available now I would look to exchange 10-20% @ 2.50 and see what happens. If it goes wrong the other way i'd stop myself out at 2.25. (and let my wife beat me up !)

I just got some great news - we have got places accepted for our 2 girls in a small private church school in Sydney - it had been a major worry for us. With that sorted we'll be looking to move in January as the new school year starts on Feb 1st

Rgds Jim
Great news for you, one less thing to worry about
now lets hope we see 2.50+ and we can all be happy
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:10 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
Great news for you, one less thing to worry about
now lets hope we see 2.50+ and we can all be happy
It reached 2.699 only four months ago, so anythings possible
Old Nov 30th 2004, 9:36 am

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
It reached 2.699 only four months ago, so anythings possible
2.46 now
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by stevereed
2.46 now
where ?

all i can get is 2.42 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Jim
Bloomberg always gives a good write up - here's the latest excerpt:

Nov. 30 (Bloomberg) -- The Australian dollar had its biggest decline in three months after government reports showed retail sales unexpectedly fell in October and approvals for building dropped to their lowest in three-years.

The reports also prompted futures traders to reduced bets that the Reserve Bank of Australia will raise interest rates next year. Government bond yields fell to their lowest since July 2003. Australia's dollar is the biggest decliner of 16 major currencies tracked by Bloomberg data in the past five days after economists lowered their forecast for growth.

``This will put the Australian dollar on the back foot,'' said Greg Gibbs, a Sydney-based senior currency strategist at RBC Capital Markets. ``The risks are that it will fall further in the near-term as people begin to question the growth outlook.''

There's quite a lot more about it - but it gets a bit too technical for me. Whenever I see a fluctuation on XE.COM I'm always straight onto the bloomberg site for a comprehensive answer. Looks like 2.46 now.....

Regards
Netta
Old Nov 30th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
where ?

all i can get is 2.42 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rate is whippy today, up and down like a whore's drawers as they say !
2.4587/2.4594 is the two way bank quote.
For rates that we as individuals can get I can see 2.4554 available on http://www.elynchfx.com/ (You may have to register)

Has anyone ever used them?
To be only 0.3 of a cent from the interbank rate is the best i've seen

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.