Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate on its way up?

Exchange Rate on its way up?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate on its way up?

Originally Posted by Rosscarbery
I'm checking this hourly as well. We dropped our limit order from 2.5 to 2.4 recently. I wish I understood enough about economics to decide whether the election results will be good or bad for the exchange rate. My very naive assumption is that if Labour win the market might be jittery and the dollar might drop. Or am I talking crap?
The ozy will still depreciate more after the election irrespective of the result.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by manc1
The ozy will still depreciate more after the election irrespective of the result.
how sure are you of this though? I so hope it all works out for us all!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:11 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chugo101
Just looked on Ozforex and the rate is up to 2.38, although on the quotes its only at 2.367.

Any idea if this is going to get back up to the 2.40 mark??

I need to bring money over by the middle of January to pay for land but I'm just debating how long to sit it out for?

2.45 would be great but I'd settle for 2.40.

Might get a bit volitile after Sat night
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

how sure are you of this though? I so hope it all works out for us all!

Will be checking some currency charts later but the ozy certainly looks like it will drop a few more cents between now and Christmas.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:33 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

Any pointers gratefully received Manc1 to be honest, we were gutted when it dropped last time and we're quite nervous about changing the rate we've booked. Like everyone, we're keen to make the most of our initial cash as we're unlikely to be in this position again.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Will be checking some currency charts later but the ozy certainly looks like it will drop a few more cents between now and Christmas.
Be sure to update us all once you've checked your currency charts as I can honestly say I don't understand any of it!!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:03 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Banks look just a clued up , with one recommend buy, and one sell. One thinking it'll end the year at 95c USD and the other 84c USD

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...currency_rates
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bearing in mind the ozy has already dropped a few cents over the last few days it has a good chance of extending downtrend toward 2.40 before possibility of reversal.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough

Bearing in mind the ozy has already dropped a few cents over the last few days it has a good chance of extending downtrend toward 2.40 before possibility of reversal.
We have seen a massive move in the last 48 hours, with a low of just under 2.31 and a high of over 2.37. This comes as welcome news to those of you who have been following the markets recently, especially in light of the recent lows of around 2.24/2.25.

It is extremely difficult to predict these moves and where we go from here. The is still a lot of uncertainty in the Global Equity markets, and the commodity currencies such as the Australian Dollar have been weakened by this risk aversion, rather than the moves being a sign of a strong £.

One tool you can use is a market order, or target rate, which is where you set a rate that you are happy with (a realistic one!). If it hits this then the currency is bought for you, and is a good way to hit the peaks in a volatile market. It does carry the risk that the rate may never reach your target (so be careful and keep an eye on the rates), but for those of you willing to take this gamble then it can be a useful option.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:46 pm
mil
Forum Regular

mil is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just me or does anyone else find watching the rates change frustratingly addictive?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Windsor2
We have seen a massive move in the last 48 hours, with a low of just under 2.31 and a high of over 2.37. This comes as welcome news to those of you who have been following the markets recently, especially in light of the recent lows of around 2.24/2.25.

It is extremely difficult to predict these moves and where we go from here. The is still a lot of uncertainty in the Global Equity markets, and the commodity currencies such as the Australian Dollar have been weakened by this risk aversion, rather than the moves being a sign of a strong £.

One tool you can use is a market order, or target rate, which is where you set a rate that you are happy with (a realistic one!). If it hits this then the currency is bought for you, and is a good way to hit the peaks in a volatile market. It does carry the risk that the rate may never reach your target (so be careful and keep an eye on the rates), but for those of you willing to take this gamble then it can be a useful option.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Richard, HiFX.

I agree Windsor. Very good points. For anybody coming over in a short period of time you have a tough decision. There's more volatility ahead.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mil
Is it just me or does anyone else find watching the rates change frustratingly addictive?
I'm addicted too!!! Just want it to hit that 2.4+ mark ..........

up......up............up...........
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

I'd expect a large change in price tonight due to UK GDP (gross domestic product) results being released. Hopefully UK figures will be strong and result in a better exchange rate.

By Wednesday things may stabilise and hopefully I'll have the money in the bank here and 'made' enough to buy me a new Honda Fireblade!

Can but hope....
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
I'd expect a large change in price tonight due to UK GDP (gross domestic product) results being released. Hopefully UK figures will be strong and result in a better exchange rate.

By Wednesday things may stabilise and hopefully I'll have the money in the bank here and 'made' enough to buy me a new Honda Fireblade!

Can but hope....
Fingers and toes are crossed, I'm going to keep a close eye on things and as soon as any of us spot a hike in the rates lets be sure to log on and let everyone know!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 5:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers and toes are crossed, I'm going to keep a close eye on things and as soon as any of us spot a hike in the rates lets be sure to log on and let everyone know!!
Bookmark this site: http://www.xe.com/
It has all the major XRs in one table.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.