Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

exchange rate getting worse and worse!

exchange rate getting worse and worse!

Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: exchange rate getting worse and worse!

Originally Posted by kevinl
I think you will find that the max you can pay into this account is £500 per month and that to get the 12% you have to have £5000 + in another Halifax savings account, that pays pretty poor interest. Not in the one paying 12%.
The max you can pay in, in a year is £6000 and that is spread over the year.

Thats how it was explained to me, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I will be pleased.

Kev
Guaranteed Saver account pays 6.25% which is ok if like me you don't pay tax! Probably better off in a ISA if you do but I have maxed mine out for this year so this is just as good for me
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:24 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMRE
Guaranteed Saver account pays 6.25% which is ok if like me you don't pay tax! Probably better off in a ISA if you do but I have maxed mine out for this year so this is just as good for me
I think the 6.25 is the guaranteed saver reward which is not one of the qualifying accounts for the 12%. The guaranteed saver is but pays 5. something.
They are not called Bankers for nothing.

Kev
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:20 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

bugger sod!!! :curse:
thanks for pointing this out to me... Have looked again, totally misunderstood... Have now paid to consult IFA and will let you know what he recommends.
the tax implication thing bothers me not.... it's still only on the gain and I'm told that putting it in the 'right account' before transfer is the secret of success.... not sure what the 'right account' is though, which may be a challenge!!!

Ali
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
bugger sod!!! :curse:
thanks for pointing this out to me... Have looked again, totally misunderstood... Have now paid to consult IFA and will let you know what he recommends.
the tax implication thing bothers me not.... it's still only on the gain and I'm told that putting it in the 'right account' before transfer is the secret of success.... not sure what the 'right account' is though, which may be a challenge!!!

Ali

The interest will also be liable for Australian tax as part of your worldwide annual income......the amount would depend on the rest of your earnings.

The tax is due whether you transfer it or not.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kevinl
I think you will find that the max you can pay into this account is £500 per month and that to get the 12% you have to have £5000 + in another Halifax savings account, that pays pretty poor interest. Not in the one paying 12%.
The max you can pay in, in a year is £6000 and that is spread over the year.

Thats how it was explained to me, if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I will be pleased.

Kev
A question with 2 possible answers.

Why do you think HBOS are offering 12% when other banks are offering 6% - 7%?

Answer
1. They are really nice and want to make you all rich!

2. They are in deep trouble their rights issue is failing their stock price is collapsing and they desperatly need people to give them money?

I would suggest that 2 is the correct answer.

I would not touch them with a barge pole in fact I wouldn't keep more then £35K in any 1 bank at the moment because that's all you will get back if they go under. You have to remember that reqards only come with risk and at 12% I would say the risk in high.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
I would not touch them with a barge pole in fact I wouldn't keep more then £35K in any 1 bank at the moment because that's all you will get back if they go under.

You would not even get that back from an Australian bank.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
that's why I have most of my assets in the uk and australia spread accross multiple asset classes. I suspect we are in for a very rough ride over the next few years so looking to hedge my bets
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by isgraham
that's why I have most of my assets in the uk and australia spread accross multiple asset classes. I suspect we are in for a very rough ride over the next few years so looking to hedge my bets
Indeed.

I seem to have so many different bank accounts that I have lost track of where some of my money is

I am sure it must be written down somewhere
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

kunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nice

Hi Guys

has anyone looked at the nationwide 8% saver?
it is a 12 month fixed bond thingy but i fell for the halifax trick too until a friend who is a little bit more clued up suggested this one...
have a look though cos I may have missed something in the small print (AGAIN!)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:40 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kunjal and shamir
Hi Guys

has anyone looked at the nationwide 8% saver?
it is a 12 month fixed bond thingy but i fell for the halifax trick too until a friend who is a little bit more clued up suggested this one...
have a look though cos I may have missed something in the small print (AGAIN!)
I'm already a Nationwide customer, so I will defo have a look at the account, as we've already decided that we're doing NOTHING with it for at least 12 months I think that this is a great idea!

Ali
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

Do Australian banks have any compensation scheme like the £35,000 British one ?
We recently moved all our house sale money to Northern Rock because they are the only bank that guarantees 100% of your money. We had a very fraught weekend recently having read the bank where our money was deposited was rated in the top 2 most unstable banks at the time
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:56 pm
Ping pong PoM

From what Grayling has said I'd say that you don't even get that protection in Australia. And thinking about it, if it can happen to a UK bank, it can certainly happen to an Australian Bank...
That's why we'll be spreading our risk by using different accounts, and keeping the balance below the £35K limit.

This is not the headache I envisioned having. I thought that my stresses would be taken up with relocation logistics not what my UK capital should be doing, but it's the one I'm getting now. I have just filled in the form for Alan Collett to have a look at my proposals and find the best way to handle my UK income, and the capital that I'm planning on leaving in the UK. As he's a qualified accountant with experience in both Australia and the UK, I'm hoping he'll have some good ideas on what the hell to do with it and how to pay the least amount of tax... legally of course!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Be very careful

The compensation scheme means that you will only be compensated once if a bank goes belly up but that bank may also own others so if you have accounts in two banks who are part of the same group (ie Halifax/bank of Scotland or Nat west/royal scottish bank) then you will only recieve one lot of compensation.

This is an unikely scenario but not impossible.

As far as Australian banks are concerned......they are also in the same partnerships ie Barclays/Westpac or Natwest/ Commonwealth/ RBS......there is no statutory compensation scheme....I asked about this on a thread recently.

G

Last edited by Grayling; Jul 17th 2008 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Be very careful too of peddling misinformation.

"Australian treasurer Wayne Swan has announced a series of reforms in response to the global financial markets crisis, with the centerpiece being a guarantee to immediately pay account holders up to $A20,000 if their financial institution fails.
The guarantee applies to deposit-taking institutions – banks (including foreign banks operating in Australia), credit unions, building societies and general insurers. It does not cover superannuation funds, life insurers and managed funds, because it is considered that these are chasing higher returns and therefore have a different element of risk.

The Financial Claims Scheme will allow the government to pay each depositor their funds within a week, up to a cap of $A20,000 each, with any balance to be available on liquidation or takeover. Mr Swan says this will allow 80 to 90 per cent of depositors to get all their money back straight away, but acknowledges that the remaining 10 to 20 per cent of investors account for over half of the funds on deposit in the banking system."

OzTennis

Be very careful

The compensation scheme means that you will only be compensated once if a bank goes belly up but that bank may also own others so if you have accounts in two banks who are part of the same group (ie Halifax/bank of Scotland or Nat west/royal scottish bank) then you will only recieve one lot of compensation.

This is an unikely scenario but not impossible.

As far as Australian banks are concerned......they are also in the same partnerships ie Barclays/Westpac or Natwest/ Commonwealth/ RBS......there is no statutory compensation scheme....I asked about this on a thread recently.

G
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Be very careful too of peddling misinformation.

"Australian treasurer Wayne Swan has announced a series of reforms in response to the global financial markets crisis, with the centerpiece being a guarantee to immediately pay account holders up to $A20,000 if their financial institution fails.
The guarantee applies to deposit-taking institutions – banks (including foreign banks operating in Australia), credit unions, building societies and general insurers. It does not cover superannuation funds, life insurers and managed funds, because it is considered that these are chasing higher returns and therefore have a different element of risk.

The Financial Claims Scheme will allow see the government pay each depositor their funds within a week, up to a cap of $A20,000 each, with any balance to be available on liquidation or takeover. Mr Swan says this will allow 80 to 90 per cent of depositors to get all their money back straight away, but acknowledges that the remaining 10 to 20 per cent of investors account for over half of the funds on deposit in the banking system."

OzTennis

Well that must be a very new development.

Thanks for the update.

$20000 is not very much though.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.