Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Old May 6th 2015, 11:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Look no further than resource prices
Old May 6th 2015, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

So AUD up or down after the general election ?
Old May 6th 2015, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

northlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm moving to Oz in August/September. Does this mean that now is the best time to exchange my GBP for AUD? I was planning on doing that when I landed in Oz/just before
Old May 6th 2015, 1:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Up initially
Old May 6th 2015, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
True, and if a cut is already factored in then there should be no further fall. But here we have an unexplained rise, which I attribute mainly to a rise in commodity prices.

What is worrying is the level of debt in Australia as well as the state of the economy in general which does not look like it is set to improve in the near future. This will in turn hurt the AUD as it will be a sign that even with record-low interest rates, the RBA still has work to do whilst it is running out of tools (even a further cut will just raise anxiety if the results are not as expected).
Yes, it's a bit like 'why do you hit yourself? Because when I stop it feels better'. Interest rate cuts have been expected and now the market thinks they won't continue - so the expectation of what is likely to happen in the future has been more important than what has happened (the rate cut).

As the most likely result is a minority Labour government in coalition with the SNP the markets are probably factoring in the likely impact of this on the pound.

UK Election: How Will A Labour Victory Affect the Pound Sterling to Euro (GBP/EUR) Exchange Rate? | Euro Exchange Rate News
Old May 6th 2015, 5:17 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northlondoner
I'm moving to Oz in August/September. Does this mean that now is the best time to exchange my GBP for AUD? I was planning on doing that when I landed in Oz/just before
Anyone's guess really but in your shoes I think I'd wait until after the election dust has settled.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northlondoner
For what purpose do you want to exchange your GBP into AUD?
Old May 6th 2015, 10:16 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Debatable.

Someone is going to have to make themselves a liar to get a government that can stand or act. We'll find out exactly who is the liar after the results are in and the horsetrading goes into overdrive. As I said, neither option is particularly appealing to the markets - with a probable slim preference for the Tories to return, but with someone stopping them from holding an EU referendum.

Don't forget, we also have the Australian budget next Tuesday. That will likely both have a gaping hole where resources once were, and no particular appetite to fill it with measures that wouldn't get through the senate. Therefore the global markets is likely to view that negatively in the same timeframe that the UK hung parliament is getting sorted out.

The result may be a fundamentals based reassessment of what that exchange rate should be - which might well push the AUD down vs the UKP.

And then there's greece ...
Old May 7th 2015, 1:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and the markets seem to think that a Labour government would mean an earlier interest rate rise; therefore a rise in the pound and relative fall in the AUD. So there's that too.
Old May 7th 2015, 1:28 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I was mystified about how the AUD dropped after the announcement and though it was a "sell the news" event.

I need Aussie to weaken Vs GBP as I have some money to bring over. I expect it will.

I'm hoping for a surprise UK election win for whoever because that will strengthen the pound but I think a Lab/SNP government would be disastrous.

Anyway we shall see...
Old May 27th 2015, 11:37 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It's currently hovering just a smidgen below 2 to 1!
Old May 27th 2015, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It's currently hovering just a smidgen below 2 to 1!
What am I going to do with all these Aussie dollars?
Old May 27th 2015, 12:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Beoz
What am I going to do with all these Aussie dollars?
Who knows, maybe it'll reach 2.5 to 1 by Christmas!

Old May 27th 2015, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Who knows, maybe it'll reach 2.5 to 1 by Christmas!

Well its kind of in no mans land at the moment. No real bonus for bring pounds this way or sending Aussie that way. In fact 50p is probably about right and a fair place for the fx to be.
Old May 28th 2015, 8:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Beoz
Well its kind of in no mans land at the moment. No real bonus for bring pounds this way or sending Aussie that way. In fact 50p is probably about right and a fair place for the fx to be.
I agree but I think its not going to stop there. Just reached 2:1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.