Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

Old Feb 19th 2016, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Exchange rate AUD Vs GBP £1 buys $1.83

The main thing driving this has been the realisation that interest rates in the Northern Hemisphere aren't going up (from virtually 0%) anytime soon.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by astera

The Aussie Dollar went into even greater freefall then, taking a pummelling that I've never seen before. I wouldn't want to be holding onto too many AUD when the proverbial hits the fan the next time around over in the US.
Sterling didn't exactly cover itself in glory during 2008: $2.00 to $1.40 about as quick as you can say "R-B-S"
Old Feb 19th 2016, 4:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I mean tanks as in truly takes a dive like the one that happened in 2007-08.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=%5Edji+interactive#{"range":"10y","allow ChartStacking":true}

The Aussie Dollar went into even greater freefall then, taking a pummelling that I've never seen before. I wouldn't want to be holding onto too many AUD when the proverbial hits the fan the next time around over in the US.
Speak for yourself

I was holding plenty of AUD then as now and it had no effect on me at all. Our economy continued to grow and, if I remember correctly, we had 1 quarter of negative growth - and it was 60c not 50c

These things mean different things to different people. Personally, i would be dancing in the street if we hit USD0.50 or AUD3/GBP. It would mean I could move my GBP over at a large gain. Happy days if it happens
Old Feb 19th 2016, 10:54 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
Sterling didn't exactly cover itself in glory during 2008: $2.00 to $1.40 about as quick as you can say "R-B-S"
I'm an "all eggs in one basket type of person" and I converted everything at around $2.08 then. It shot up to something like $2.35 or higher shortly afterwards which had me thinking I messed up, but right afterwards the plunge begun and it dropped into the 1.40s range.

Speaking of Sterling, compared to the USD it is in exactly the same place as when it tanked at that time.

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Speak for yourself

I was holding plenty of AUD then as now and it had no effect on me at all. Our economy continued to grow and, if I remember correctly, we had 1 quarter of negative growth - and it was 60c not 50c

These things mean different things to different people. Personally, i would be dancing in the street if we hit USD0.50 or AUD3/GBP. It would mean I could move my GBP over at a large gain. Happy days if it happens
Stock market crashes, even the biggest ones in history, would have no effect on you if you just wait some years. It's all about a missed opportunity though, because if you would have sold for instance you could have bought back your original stake at a huge discount.

I too would be happy if the AUD tanked. I only hold USD so wouldn't mind Sterling going that same route either. At least temporarily...

Actually thinking what to do next and which currency to move to. The CAD seems very low at present but can the resource sector get back to its extortionate ways of ridiculous profitability? Or maybe wait for the GBP to get in trouble with all that referendum nonsense?
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm an "all eggs in one basket type of person" and I converted everything at around $2.08 then. It shot up to something like $2.35 or higher shortly afterwards which had me thinking I messed up, but right afterwards the plunge begun and it dropped into the 1.40s range.

Speaking of Sterling, compared to the USD it is in exactly the same place as when it tanked at that time.

Stock market crashes, even the biggest ones in history, would have no effect on you if you just wait some years. It's all about a missed opportunity though, because if you would have sold for instance you could have bought back your original stake at a huge discount.

I too would be happy if the AUD tanked. I only hold USD so wouldn't mind Sterling going that same route either. At least temporarily...

Actually thinking what to do next and which currency to move to. The CAD seems very low at present but can the resource sector get back to its extortionate ways of ridiculous profitability? Or maybe wait for the GBP to get in trouble with all that referendum nonsense?
I wonder if one could do worse than shorting the AUD. Any sustained house price falls thrown in with a bit of rising unemployment and I think it'd drop another 20% in no time. Given the halving in economic growth it's surprising neither of those things has really happened
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

51 p this morning, if anyone transfering money/holiday its a lot better than a few months ago.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
51 p this morning, if anyone transfering money/holiday its a lot better than a few months ago.
Oil and Iron Ore price is surging. Canadian also up. $A has a 6% rise in 6 weeks.

Keep going you fragile little thing . Next week in an expensive one in the US for me. Need everything I can get
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 10:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
I wonder if one could do worse than shorting the AUD. Any sustained house price falls thrown in with a bit of rising unemployment and I think it'd drop another 20% in no time. Given the halving in economic growth it's surprising neither of those things has really happened
Australian house prices live in an unreality field - there isn't the same expectation of crash that there is in the UK. Compare

and

They've never really seen a fall, just a flat lining. Whereas in the UK we've seen 35-30% falls regularly.

At the same time, if the AUD falls, the chinese investor gets more for their money, and thus considers it cheap.

The real SHTF moment will come when China finally catches up with the corruption, etc. and they collapse, bringing on GFC II. Not only do the exports dry up even further, so does the chinese money (more currency controls, worse exchange rate) and the AUD gets hit as a surrogate to the yuan.

My guess is that when it really starts falling, it will get some momentum, losing potentially 50% as people adjust to the idea that house prices can really fall.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Australian house prices live in an unreality field - there isn't the same expectation of crash that there is in the UK. Compare

http://www.ampcapital.com/AMPCapital...l/9/chart2.png
and
http://www.economicshelp.org/wp-cont...es-500x367.png

They've never really seen a fall, just a flat lining. Whereas in the UK we've seen 35-30% falls regularly.

At the same time, if the AUD falls, the chinese investor gets more for their money, and thus considers it cheap.

The real SHTF moment will come when China finally catches up with the corruption, etc. and they collapse, bringing on GFC II. Not only do the exports dry up even further, so does the chinese money (more currency controls, worse exchange rate) and the AUD gets hit as a surrogate to the yuan.

My guess is that when it really starts falling, it will get some momentum, losing potentially 50% as people adjust to the idea that house prices can really fall.
Well the banks are preparing for a big crash. They've already put investor rates up, and St George and Westpac are about to do it again independently of what the RBA do. Not sure if its for everyone. Could be. The others will follow.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

GBP is suddenly back up over $2 today...$2.02...basically gained 20c in the last month, that it lost in the previous 2 months.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
GBP is suddenly back up over $2 today...$2.02...basically gained 20c in the last month, that it lost in the previous 2 months.
Great currency to bet on. Lots of yield if you get it right
Old May 20th 2016, 12:09 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Great currency to bet on. Lots of yield if you get it right
I really wish I knew more about it - there's precious little else to put money into these days...

S
Old May 20th 2016, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I really wish I knew more about it - there's precious little else to put money into these days...

S
I agree but I think you need balls of steel to speculate on forex!
Old May 20th 2016, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

My trigger point of 2.40 is starting to look back on track
Old May 20th 2016, 12:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I agree but I think you need balls of steel to speculate on forex!

I'll buy a dummies guide and see how it looks

It is probably the riskiest investment - probably only one step away from gambling on horses.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.