Exchange Rate

Old Feb 22nd 2017, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Msybeleen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exchange Rate

Hi, we've been here just 5 months. We applied for aged parent contrib visa and we've been granted a bridging visa for when our tourist one runs out. We're now wondering if we should have gone for the non contrib in light of the terrible rate of exchange. On a similar subject, we are planning a house build on Sunshine Coast. So far we've just paid deposits for land and build...but we are dreading being asked to make stage payments as this would mean transferring money from UK. Any comments/advice from anyone gone,or going through, a similar situation would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate

Originally Posted by Msybeleen
Hi, we've been here just 5 months. We applied for aged parent contrib visa and we've been granted a bridging visa for when our tourist one runs out. We're now wondering if we should have gone for the non contrib in light of the terrible rate of exchange. On a similar subject, we are planning a house build on Sunshine Coast. So far we've just paid deposits for land and build...but we are dreading being asked to make stage payments as this would mean transferring money from UK. Any comments/advice from anyone gone,or going through, a similar situation would be much appreciated.
If I looked hard enough, I think I could find some posts from Astera where he said the AUD would be at 50c vs the USD right now.

The moral is don't play the FX market like you are.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
If I looked hard enough, I think I could find some posts from Astera where he said the AUD would be at 50c vs the USD right now.

The moral is don't play the FX market like you are.

? Wasn't aware we were 'playing the market'
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

? Wasn't aware we were 'playing the market'
Really? It doesn't sound to me like you are on holiday withdrawing a quick $200 from an ATM here and there.

If you are transferring big chunks of pounds over that's playing the market.

Who knows where the FX rate is going to go. Perhaps you should transfer it all now and work on certainty, rather than uncertainty
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Really? It doesn't sound to me like you are on holiday withdrawing a quick $200 from an ATM here and there.

If you are transferring big chunks of pounds over that's playing the market.

Who knows where the FX rate is going to go. Perhaps you should transfer it all now and work on certainty, rather than uncertainty
Oh I see what you mean, although we've been living off funds we transferred before Brexit, but they're fast running out. Never thought Brexit
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:59 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Msybeleen;12187354]Oh I see what you mean, although we've been living off funds we transferred before Brexit, but they're fast running out. Never thought Brexit would happen or we'd have transferred more...the benefits if foresight!
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can't offer any financial advice, but I just had to say, its one heck of a gamble building while on tourist & bridging visas, isn't it?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Can't offer any financial advice, but I just had to say, its one heck of a gamble building while on tourist & bridging visas, isn't it?
Yep! No other way to do it though, we found the land and builder whilst we were visiting our daughters and decided this is where we want to be. We went home and sold our home of 32 years and packed up all of our belongings which are in a container in U.K. waiting to be shipped over 😬
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you got FIRB approval for the purchase.

Approval used to say you had one year to commence building on the site, but no one ever checked us afaik.

Maybe you could delay the build? Mind you you will have to transfer to pay the visa charge at some point and won't get much notice to do that.

We too have funds in the UK still, luckily we don't need them yet but watching the exchange rate is painful. We did transfer a chunk pre brexit vote just in case.........glad we did.