exchange rate

Old May 23rd 2008, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: exchange rate

There are two predictions made on earlier posts - 2.4 and 2.6 by this September - I was just wondering what they felt was going to happen between now and then for that to happen...
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:19 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
There are two predictions made on earlier posts - 2.4 and 2.6 by this September - I was just wondering what they felt was going to happen between now and then for that to happen...

I think (well I know I was) we were taking the pee. Nobody can predict what the future exchange rate is going to be like. If I could, then I wouldn't be sat in front of this computer working all day.

That being said, consider the talk of petrol in Australia rising to $2.00, which may have something of an inflationary effect across the country. As fuel prices rise, then so in turn will the costs of everything that is delivered by road or air. This may have the knock on effect of taking inflation beyond the desirable level for the Reserve Bank. If this happens, then they are likely to raise interest rates further than they already are, which will likely have a further effect on the exchange rate, one way or another.

S
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not allowed to say but just wait to see what happens to the rate in September.
Old May 23rd 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice

Martin - so you weren't taking the pee? I hope not as having lost most of my equity in this cr@ppy UK housing market I'm looking to get a good rate on what little we will have. Its starting to feel quite daunting moving to the other side of the world with no job, no house and no money!!!
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Martin - so you weren't taking the pee? I hope not as having lost most of my equity in this cr@ppy UK housing market I'm looking to get a good rate on what little we will have. Its starting to feel quite daunting moving to the other side of the world with no job, no house and no money!!!
Don't get your hopes up. It was said tongue in cheek. However in past years I've seen the rate climbing in September. Whether it gets to 2.4 again this year is anyone's guess. One positive signal is the cyclical "groceries are cheaper in the UK" threads usually start about this time of year and I've already seen the first.

It's definitely not a good time to come at the mo if you're bringing loads of money.

Sorry to get your hopes up.
Old May 23rd 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

No worries dude, it is what it is I guess. I can take one positive from your last reply though in that it probably means its a good time to come for me as I will not be bringing loads of cash...
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:27 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
World economies are changing.
Very true. On top of that, keep the potential 'trigger factors' in mind.
e.g Dubya getting his wish and starting another war with Iran. Watch the price of oil rocket towards $200 very quickly then....

http://business.theage.com.au/the-us...0522-2hbb.html
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:24 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
Are you buying a house?

If not i'd hold out for as long as it takes to recover...

we have got a deadline of 31 july to get our money over (an amount similar to yours) and i'm not snapping their hand off at 2.06 as it is currently, i'd rather wait and get 2 (or less) to the pound - just on the off-chance we can get an upwards blip - time will tell though and what will be will be, it's out of our control now

Getting 6.5% in our UK bank account until then, so no biggy about better interest rates here as the difference isn't that huge...
Potentially (and there are many threads on this and the jury is out) you could get hit for capital gains tax IF the rate rises above that when you sold you house and became resident in Aus. In theory the ATO could tax you. There are those who have been caught and those who haven't.

Having said that I don't think there is a hope in hell we'll see any significant improvement in the next 12-24 months. (I'm not an expert but did win the last sweepstake thread on here where exchange rates would be!)
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:43 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a chance, if anything below 2 dollars.
UK economy rubber ducked now and getting worse.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It'll be 2.4 this September.
Dang! Just missed. Although it's still September in the Julian Calendar

I still think Swervo's 2.6 is a bit optimistic

Next week's lotto numbers are 21, 19, 22, 37, 12, 8 (although it might be the week after).
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You did well mate!

But that 4500 bottom for the ASX200 you promised me???
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:53 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

I still think Swervo's 2.6 is a bit optimistic

Next week's lotto numbers are 21, 19, 22, 37, 12, 8 (although it might be the week after).
Good effort...!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
You did well mate!

Yeah! That's not looking too good.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
You did well mate!

Did I mention that applies to closing values only not intraday?

That's an impressive bounce
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Did I mention that applies to closing values only not intraday?

That's an impressive bounce
Ah ok......for now!

Impressive, yes - justified...I think not!