Exchange Rate

Old Sep 27th 2007, 12:44 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate

Originally Posted by iceman
Interest rates are put up to keep inflation in check. The rate of inflation is under the target rate, so it is possible that rates will drop in the UK. There is an interest rate rise tipped in Australia before Christmas if it happens will strengthen the dollar. If on the other hand something happens with the money markets as in the case of the recent US crisis ?? Who can say.....

I hear that Farmers Dipstick in the 3:15 at Kempton Park is a dead cert...

S
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JoolsB
OH says Uk interest rates are tipped to go down by half percent next month (i think) so that doesn't bode well re the above.

Somethings got to give soon though. Remember that rates go up and down all the time so just be stoical and hope for best. If exchanging now at 2.30 gives you enough for what you wanted to do (i.e. doesn't completely fox things) then worth considering. If on other hand current rate negates the financial benefits of going then might as well wait...
Unfortunately we have to go. I left work 2 months ago and gotta start earning. Work in Oz starts mid Oct. We are leaving as much as poss here and transfering the bare minimum.

Originally Posted by iceman
Interest rates are put up to keep inflation in check. The rate of inflation is under the target rate, so it is possible that rates will drop in the UK. There is an interest rate rise tipped in Australia before Christmas if it happens will strengthen the dollar. If on the other hand something happens with the money markets as in the case of the recent US crisis ?? Who can say.....
You are not helping I joke, you are lots! It is a risk, but i'm gonna leave most £ here in a high interest account. And then just keep fingers crossed and as much panic at bay as i can

Last edited by walkermat; Sep 27th 2007 at 2:23 pm. Reason: typo
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:47 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkermat
Unfortunately we have to go. I left work 2 months ago and gotta start earning. Work in Oz starts mid Oct. We are leaving as much as poss here and transfering the bare minimum.

You are not helping I joke, you are lots! It is a risk, but i'm gonna leave most £ here in a high interest account. And then just keep fingers crossed and as much panic at bay as i can
That's what I would do too! Stop worrying, think positive and enjoy starting your new life! It WILL improve!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

walkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the roughwalkermat is a jewel in the rough

And still it tumbles... (Or if you are going the other way 'Yeeeeah, still going up up up go baby baby!!!! yeeehar!!!)

OH has told me to stop telling her. Still we are making interest on the dosh so must stop being sooo miserable about it.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:40 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

And still it tumbles... (Or if you are going the other way 'Yeeeeah, still going up up up go baby baby!!!! yeeehar!!!)

OH has told me to stop telling her. Still we are making interest on the dosh so must stop being sooo miserable about it.
OH is right! Just set an alert rate with Ozforex and stop obsessing about how crap it is right now! I know it's going to improve soon-things always do
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Unless the ATO have changed the rules recently, be aware that you will be creating a tax liability for yourself if you leave GBP in the UK and wait until the rate improves before transferring the remaining funds.

So for example, if you have £100,000 and the rate today is 2.3,

then that = $230,000 AUD.

If you wait for an rate iimprovementand it hits 2.50 in say 6 months and you choose to transfer then...

then that = $250,000...

A gain of $20,000 which may be subject to tax by the ATO.

I would suggest you seek clarification before you make a decision.

Can you get a higher rate of return here in Aus than in the UK that would offset any pperceivedloss in the exchange rate?

Cheers,
Mark.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by longreach
Unless the ATO have changed the rules recently, be aware that you will be creating a tax liability for yourself if you leave GBP in the UK and wait until the rate improves before transferring the remaining funds.

So for example, if you have £100,000 and the rate today is 2.3,

then that = $230,000 AUD.

If you wait for an rate iimprovementand it hits 2.50 in say 6 months and you choose to transfer then...

then that = $250,000...

A gain of $20,000 which may be subject to tax by the ATO.

I would suggest you seek clarification before you make a decision.

Can you get a higher rate of return here in Aus than in the UK that would offset any pperceivedloss in the exchange rate?

Cheers,
Mark.
You are dead right about the tax. The gain has to be taken into account when calculating your income. The better way would be to keep out of the Country until the rate gets better - however we have to enter by 7th Dec 2007 The grey area comes in calculating the difference as the rate can move quite considerably in a 24 hour period.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

the rate is terrible isnt it? i have my "wages" sitting there waiting to be transferred but trying to hold off... strange as when we moved 2 years ago the rate was this low too!!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Exchange Rate

Originally Posted by longreach
Only if you are on PR. TR visa holders have no such concerns.

Buzzy
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bridie
the rate is terrible isnt it? i have my "wages" sitting there waiting to be transferred but trying to hold off... strange as when we moved 2 years ago the rate was this low too!!!
Even just 3 weeks ago it was 2.51 - fantastic! We have had to completely re-think almost everything. Had our eyes on a nice house but will now have to rent a while... Hopefully the interest we are making will pay for the tax that we'll lose.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Only if you are on PR. TR visa holders have no such concerns.

Buzzy
PR me
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Even just 3 weeks ago it was 2.51 - fantastic! We have had to completely re-think almost everything. Had our eyes on a nice house but will now have to rent a while... Hopefully the interest we are making will pay for the tax that we'll lose.

PR me
Are you sure that you will have to do a re think? I obviously don't know your situation but have you looked into all the possibilites?

Mark
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:31 pm
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

crap, current rate is the lowest its been for 12 months
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:38 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Just want to clarify something here, I did not know and others might want to know?

Just for example below?

You have gained a PR visa.
You have to validate by 01/01/08 - 1 Year from Meds date
You have to enter no later than 01/10/12 - 5 Year period from grant

You have £100,000.00 in you building society account in the UK. (Lottery Win)

You validate and enter and stay for good, but do not move your £100,000.00 over to Australia for one year, waiting until the exchange rate improves.

The rate on initial entry is 2.3 to 1
The rate one year on is 2.6 to 1

You move your money now the rate is 0.3 higher.

You have waited, and gained $30,000.00 dollars, are you saying you must pay tax on this gain of $30,000.00? Even though it is still in the UK building society for that year?

BTW, you have received interest, and paid tax on the interest to the Australian tax man, as you receive your interest gross in the UK.

Second scenario.

The same above applies, but:

You leave the money in the UK, for x amount of time, say ten years, how do you know what the difference is between the rate at entry and the rate when you decide to change the money over to dollars?

Are you saying you must log the rate on entry, so as and when you move the money, you can calculate the differential?

If this is true then you are best to enter when the rate is at its peak, that way you cannot lose, as the only way the rate will go is down, so no tax to pay on the differential?

Third Scenario

I only ask, say you come over stay for two years on a PR, return to the UK for two years, then come back to Australia for good. But in this time, you leave your money in the UK.

It can get very complicated?

I would have thought, it’s your choice when you exchange, so long as you pay tax on the interest to the tax man of country of residence?

Otherwise only make permanent entry when the rate is at its peak, and log it?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:50 pm
done and dusted

bugger it seems to be nosediving again 2.270
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:54 pm
done and dusted

Originally Posted by JoolsB
OH is right! Just set an alert rate with Ozforex and stop obsessing about how crap it is right now! I know it's going to improve soon-things always do

trouble is, theres nothing on the horizon to stop the AUD, GBP is actually doing pretty well against the US dollar, trouble is the AUD is doing better, bloody americans, one thing to note is that oz inflation is a little low inthe last 2 months, and all we can do is hope that the RBA decides to drop interest rates slightly to encourage growth, but i cant see it to be honest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.