Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate 2.08 ???

Exchange rate 2.08 ???

Old May 6th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Renie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really nice
Default Exchange rate 2.08 ???

Exchange rate currently at 2.08 any ideas if its going to improve or drop lower still.

Any ideas/predictions would be great, any experts out there.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:08 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate 2.08 ???

I reckon with our economic state the way it is the dollar will remain strong against harder currencies. Which is top news for me but less so for those yet to move I appreciate.

But then I don't look at whats happening in Britain or the British economy and have no real desire to. As long as my dollars stronger for trips back!!!
Old May 6th 2008, 2:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I reckon with our economic state the way it is the dollar will remain strong against harder currencies. Which is top news for me but less so for those yet to move I appreciate.

But then I don't look at whats happening in Britain or the British economy and have no real desire to. As long as my dollars stronger for trips back!!!

ABC reported it as being 48c to the pound today. Not far to go until it's 2-1. Maybe a surprise interest rate hike today would seal it!
Old May 6th 2008, 2:18 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
ABC reported it as being 48c to the pound today. Not far to go until it's 2-1. Maybe a surprise interest rate hike today would seal it!
No rise today I think but if there was to be one we would be heading towards 1-1 with USD as well.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:29 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
No rise today I think but if there was to be one we would be heading towards 1-1 with USD as well.
Latest inflation figures look to be over 4%, well outside the RBA's guide of 2%-3%... Reckon the next rise might not be that far off...
Old May 6th 2008, 2:56 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Latest inflation figures look to be over 4%, well outside the RBA's guide of 2%-3%... Reckon the next rise might not be that far off...
A classical economist will tell you that in the short term putting up interest rates actually feeds inflation (until it chokes off demand) and that raising interest rates is also an ineffective way of dealing with inflationary pressures caused by commodities with relatively inelastic demand i.e, oil.

But I dont expect logic or economics to stop a rate rise at the next RBA meeting.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

A classical economist will tell you that in the short term putting up interest rates actually feeds inflation (until it chokes off demand) and that raising interest rates is also an ineffective way of dealing with inflationary pressures caused by commodities with relatively inelastic demand i.e, oil.

But I dont expect logic or economics to stop a rate rise at the next RBA meeting.
Exactly.

Read it and weep.

http://www.ozforex.com.au/cgi-bin/chartsFast.asp
Old May 6th 2008, 3:10 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

A hold on rates may have a (relative) weakening effect on the AU$.

But, those holding off on exchanging to AU$ from Sterling may want to consider the better rate of interest you would get in Oz that could offset some of the "loss", especially if the AU$ remains strong in the long run.

That said, exchanging a large sum and then watching the rate zoom the opposite way is pretty depressing... ho-hum.

No one can predict the future...
Old May 6th 2008, 4:08 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
A hold on rates may have a (relative) weakening effect on the AU$.

But, those holding off on exchanging to AU$ from Sterling may want to consider the better rate of interest you would get in Oz that could offset some of the "loss", especially if the AU$ remains strong in the long run.

That said, exchanging a large sum and then watching the rate zoom the opposite way is pretty depressing... ho-hum.

No one can predict the future...
We do not expect a rate rise, we expect levelling out now for the rest of the year.

However $ will remain strong and the rise and fall between 2.15 and 2.05 is all you will see over the next few months.

Aus economy is too strong to for the exchange to head back up to the 2.5.

The OP that said 1-1 and 2-1 is closest to the mark !

Nick
Old May 6th 2008, 4:38 am

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick72
We do not expect a rate rise, we expect levelling out now for the rest of the year.

However $ will remain strong and the rise and fall between 2.15 and 2.05 is all you will see over the next few months.

Aus economy is too strong to for the exchange to head back up to the 2.5.

The OP that said 1-1 and 2-1 is closest to the mark !

Nick
See what did I tell you !! No increase in interest rates this month !!

Nick
Old May 6th 2008, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Renie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really niceRenie is just really nice

Nick
Well perhaps the UK interest rates will drop!!!!
Old May 6th 2008, 4:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Nick

Now if you could PM me your suggestion for the 3:15 at Newmarket, I would be very grateful...

S
Old May 6th 2008, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Now if you could PM me your suggestion for the 3:15 at Newmarket, I would be very grateful...

S
See thats what happens when you give informed advice.

People go all pedantic on you.

To answer your question though, there are no runners at Newmarket today, so maybe you could be a little more specific and I will give you an idication ?

Nick
Old May 6th 2008, 5:42 am

See thats what happens when you give informed advice.

People go all pedantic on you.

To answer your question though, there are no runners at Newmarket today, so maybe you could be a little more specific and I will give you an idication ?

Nick
I think you wound him up with this

Nick
But you didnt have to be Mystic Meg to pick a hold for this month, next meeting will be different, fancy giving us a prediction?

I'm saying up as inflation is tipped to be 4.3% and trending up, the economy will still be strong and unemployment will still be way below the NAIRU.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:46 am
has lost The Game

I think you wound him up with this

But you didnt have to be Mystic Meg to pick a hold for this month, next meeting will be different, fancy giving us a prediction?

I'm saying up as inflation is tipped to be 4.3% and trending up, the economy will still be strong and unemployment will still be way below the NAIRU.

No, I wasn't wound up - I was just making a glib comment based upon his obvious success at predicting the future!

I was hoping for another rise today, as I am enjoying lording it up with my savings and I don't have a mortgage.

For anybody who is interested, Bankwest have just increased their interest rate to 8.25% between May and January next year. Grrrr. And I had just moved my money to Citybank to take advantage of their 8% offer!

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.