Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Excess Insurance With Car Hire

Excess Insurance With Car Hire

Old Oct 29th 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

fancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud of
Default Excess Insurance With Car Hire

HI FOLKS,

Just wondering if it's worth taking this out when you hire the car.

THANKS FOR YOU'RE TIME FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE

P.S YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excess Insurance With Car Hire

Originally Posted by fancyfella
HI FOLKS,

Most car rentals I've taken out in Oz carry a $3,000 excess - so I'd say yes.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

This is where car rental companies make their money - not on the car, but the insurance. The daily rate is (usually) extortionate, when you consider the amount you are actually insured for. You obviously don't want the hassle if something silly happens, so I would suggest you have a look around for travel insurance that cover "accident excess" - it will be a lot cheaper ,particularly if you are going to be driving around a lot.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 7:47 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fancyfella
HI FOLKS,

If you rent for a reasonable period of time or a few times a year then get a policy from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/. Much better value.

Martyn
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

It is expensive but we've always taken it because the thought of such a huge bill was too awful. If you're taking it out of season or for a long period try to negotiate though. I think I got the excess insurance for half price last time from Thrifty.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:33 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tin
If you rent for a reasonable period of time or a few times a year then get a policy from http://www.insurance4carhire.com/. Much better value.

Martyn
This looks quite good. I may take this out, and then just hire cars when I need them. Probably more convenient than buying a car. Do you know if they allow you to develop a no claims bonus of sorts.

The 150km rule seems a bit of an arse though...

A chap I used to work with didn't take collision damage wave insurance, and wrote his hire car off within a couple of miles of the US airport he had rented it from. He left it on the side of the road, took a taxi back to the airport and booked the first plane back to the UK, cancelling his credit card.

I don't know what happened to him, as he left not too long after getting back, but I bet it was interesting!

S