British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   excess baggage at Sydney airport help? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/excess-baggage-sydney-airport-help-557125/)

Sunbound Aug 24th 2008 12:57 pm

excess baggage at Sydney airport help?

Hi,
On our arrival at Sydney with Virgin Atlantic we will have 40 kg of luggage each (3 of us).Problem is ,is we then have to get a Virgin Blue flight from there to Brisbane where we wont be allowed that much baggage!!! Question is this ... is there a courier company based at the airport that we can give half of the luggage to ,to courier it us to our address in Brisbane? Dont mind waiting for it ,as long as we pack well we can manage on 1 suitcase each for a good while.
Any ideas ? Thanks :thumbup:

koalakim Aug 24th 2008 10:54 pm

Re: excess baggage at Sydney airport help?

Hi there

Virgin Blue will allow excess luggage - you just have to pay for it!

I don't know if you know but VB has just introduced baggage charges but if your flight is already booked before last week then the excess baggage is $8 a kilo.

If you know you've got 20kgs over each then try and warn them beforehand.

We did a road trip around WA last year, accumulated lots of stuff along the way and came back from Perth to Mellie with about 72kgs but we just paid the excess which was cheaper than a courier.

Have fun!

Kim

Sunbound Aug 25th 2008 6:44 am

Thanks bit of a nightmare!
We wont be able to book the virgin blue flight till the last minute really but wanted to know if there was another option other than being charged for the excess which is likely to be 60k !! Here in the Uk in the main airports they have excess baggage who will send it on for you.
Can anyone suggest an alternative ?

moneypenny20 Aug 25th 2008 7:12 am

Just had a quick google - this thread came up :lol: Anyway, found these people. Couldn't get a quote of Sydney to Brisbane but may be worth contacting them as they have an office at Brissie.

Sunbound Aug 25th 2008 9:23 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6711771)
Just had a quick google - this thread came up :lol: Anyway, found these people. Couldn't get a quote of Sydney to Brisbane but may be worth contacting them as they have an office at Brissie.

Hi Moneypen,
I did the same and they dont offer a domestic service :huh:
But thats the sort of thing i want.Have looked at the Sydney airport site and thats not very helpful so wondered what others have done in this position?
Why are things never straight forward are they ? :curse:

moneypenny20 Aug 25th 2008 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Sunbound (Post 6712057)
Hi Moneypen,
I did the same and they dont offer a domestic service :huh:
But thats the sort of thing i want.Have looked at the Sydney airport site and thats not very helpful so wondered what others have done in this position?
Why are things never straight forward are they ? :curse:

Bummer. Sounds like a business to start up. Must be stacks of money in it. You can send animals around the country, there must be a luggage version :blink:

Sunbound Aug 25th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6712231)
Bummer. Sounds like a business to start up. Must be stacks of money in it. You can send animals around the country, there must be a luggage version :blink:

Thats what i thought ??? Thanks for looking though :thumbup:

HELP anyone ???

sassie Aug 25th 2008 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Sunbound (Post 6711730)
Thanks bit of a nightmare!
We wont be able to book the virgin blue flight till the last minute really but wanted to know if there was another option other than being charged for the excess which is likely to be 60k !! Here in the Uk in the main airports they have excess baggage who will send it on for you.
Can anyone suggest an alternative ?

Hi. If you haven't already booked, it may be worth considering Qantas instead of Virgin Blue, simply because Qantas charge excess baggage per extra piece of baggage and not per kilo. As the maximum weight per bag can not exceed 32 kg for health and safety reasons, it sounds like you will have 2 pieces of baggage each. I think its $20 per extra piece with Qantas, so for 3 of you, you're probably looking at paying $60.00 excess.

Sunbound Aug 25th 2008 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by sassie (Post 6712586)
Hi. If you haven't already booked, it may be worth considering Qantas instead of Virgin Blue, simply because Qantas charge excess baggage per extra piece of baggage and not per kilo. As the maximum weight per bag can not exceed 32 kg for health and safety reasons, it sounds like you will have 2 pieces of baggage each. I think its $20 per extra piece with Qantas, so for 3 of you, you're probably looking at paying $60.00 excess.

Oh ok thanks Sassie , that could be an option then will look into that ! :thumbup:

ray2gill Aug 26th 2008 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Sunbound (Post 6709701)
Hi,
On our arrival at Sydney with Virgin Atlantic we will have 40 kg of luggage each (3 of us).Problem is ,is we then have to get a Virgin Blue flight from there to Brisbane where we wont be allowed that much baggage!!! Question is this ... is there a courier company based at the airport that we can give half of the luggage to ,to courier it us to our address in Brisbane? Dont mind waiting for it ,as long as we pack well we can manage on 1 suitcase each for a good while.
Any ideas ? Thanks :thumbup:

Last week VB annouced that anyone checking-in with baggage not declared when booking a ticket (i.e. paying for it with the ticket) would be charged a set rate way in access of the booked rate. So I would contact them and ask their advice.

donovandenese Aug 26th 2008 5:38 am

you can send baggage via http://www.greyhoundfreight.com.au/ (their sydney depot is not far from the airport, just a short taxi ride) - we've sent cases from sydney to adelaide this way in the past

Sunbound Aug 26th 2008 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by donovandenese (Post 6715289)
you can send baggage via http://www.greyhoundfreight.com.au/ (their sydney depot is not far from the airport, just a short taxi ride) - we've sent cases from sydney to adelaide this way in the past

Oh ok cool will look at that option too Thanks:thumbsup: