Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Excess Baggage on Fly Emirates

Excess Baggage on Fly Emirates

Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of
Default Excess Baggage on Fly Emirates

Has anyone on a BN Subclass 136 successfully got the double baggage allowance (i.e. 40kg) for free? I attempted to arrange this over the telephone with them which they were fine about - providing I sent them a copy of my visa grant letter - which I did. However, the ticketing department at Emirates have stated that the letter doesn't refer to a PR visa because it has an expiry date for entry into Australia of April 2013. Have they got their wires crossed? Or did I incorrectly assume that a 136 was a PR visa?

Either way, has anyone else in this position managed to get the double baggage allowance? Needless to say I'll keep chipping away at them until I get satisfaction.

Cheers,
Dazster
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excess Baggage on Fly Emirates

Originally Posted by Dazster
However, the ticketing department at Emirates have stated that the letter doesn't refer to a PR visa because it has an expiry date for entry into Australia of April 2013. Have they got their wires crossed? Or did I incorrectly assume that a 136 was a PR visa?
Yes, they have got their wires crossed. You are not actually PR until you validate the visa - you must do that before Apr 2013. Once here you can stay as long as you like - the problem occurs if you leave and want to get back in again after Apr 2013 - but all PRs have this restriction. Whoever read the letter probably just doesn't understand this process....try again!

Last edited by bcworld; Jun 27th 2008 at 9:17 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes, they have got their wires crossed. You are not actually PR until you validate the visa - you must do that before Apr 2013. Once here you can stay as long as you like - the problem occurs if you leave and want to get back in again after Apr 2013 - but all PRs have this restriction. Whoever read the letter probably just doesn't understand this process....try again!
Oh I will be mate. I've been diggin around tonight for more evidence to bombard them with on Monday. And I found some!
Old Jun 29th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

trevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the roughtrevamather is a jewel in the rough

hi
if you join a site called movingplanet.com, we got a cd off white & co removals, you will get an extra 10kg each for the one way flight..that means we are taking 50kg each plus hand luggage. Dunno if you can just get onto the site without the disc but its gotta be worth a try for the extra weight. We emailed emirates with all the bumff and got a reply confirming our new allowance which we take to check-in with us. Also we used the air miles that we accrued when we went down under on hol last year to get us upgraded to business class for the leg from Dubai to Brisbane!!! Can't wait
Trev