Excess Baggage

Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:32 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Excess Baggage

Hi Folks,
I hope you can help. We are going over to Oz in Oct for 3 months minimum (hopefully not coming back!).

We are sending a self-packed box over before we go (with clothes and the like in) as our luggage allowance is nowhere near enough. - so many shoes!!

The plan is to pack up the rest of the stuff we want to keep (have sold most stuff already) and leave it at my mum's to be shipped at a later date. This will include our PC.

The problem is we really need to stay in touch electronically while we are there so we have invested in a 2nd hand laptop. Now the struggle is getting it there. We really don't want to take it with us as it's really bloody heavy and would probably take up half our luggage allowance on its own! We also don't want to ship it next week with the other bits as a) we would like to use it and b) the box isn't insured (it's full of very low value stuff and we don't want to fork out just for this).

Can anyone see a way round this please? Can we use some sort of excess baggage company at the airport or something?

Many Thanks,

Emma.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excess Baggage

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hi Folks,
I hope you can help. We are going over to Oz in Oct for 3 months minimum (hopefully not coming back!).

We are sending a self-packed box over before we go (with clothes and the like in) as our luggage allowance is nowhere near enough. - so many shoes!!

The plan is to pack up the rest of the stuff we want to keep (have sold most stuff already) and leave it at my mum's to be shipped at a later date. This will include our PC.

The problem is we really need to stay in touch electronically while we are there so we have invested in a 2nd hand laptop. Now the struggle is getting it there. We really don't want to take it with us as it's really bloody heavy and would probably take up half our luggage allowance on its own! We also don't want to ship it next week with the other bits as a) we would like to use it and b) the box isn't insured (it's full of very low value stuff and we don't want to fork out just for this).

Can anyone see a way round this please? Can we use some sort of excess baggage company at the airport or something?

Many Thanks,

Emma.
Not being funny, but how "second hand" is this `ere laptop? Ours is not exactly new, but doesn`t weigh very much.

Have you any children coming out with you? If they are given a seat on the plane then they get the baggage allowance (including hand luggage), so perhaps you could do it that way???
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:40 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosy,
It's about 18mths old, completely flat and weighs next to nothing on its own. However, as soon as you put it in the case and add all the cables/disc drive/mouse/modem cable etc it's actually quite heavy.

No children I'm afraid.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Rosy,
It's about 18mths old, completely flat and weighs next to nothing on its own. However, as soon as you put it in the case and add all the cables/disc drive/mouse/modem cable etc it's actually quite heavy.

No children I'm afraid.
Well ours is around that age-group too. It really wasn`t a problem - the thing with hand luggage is not to show it to the check-in staff when you put your suitcases on the weighing machine etc. etc.

Just hide it over your shoulder, behind your back or wherever you can . When you get onto the plane, in my experience, the cabin crew will ALWAYS find room for it, at no charge!!!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:46 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excess Baggage

Hi Folks,

Many Thanks,

Emma.

Carefully check your allowed baggage allowance. You may be able to take it as an additional carry-on. Most airlines I would suspect would allow a carry on bag PLUS a briefcase, handbag or laptop.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Rosy,

No children I'm afraid.
Just realised that you mentioned putting it in a suitcase. Best not to put laptops in baggage hold - take it as hand luggage. Not a problem...
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:50 am
Homeward Bound

Not a suitcase Rosie, just the laptop case it comes with.

Thanks Florida, I guess I will need to check with the airline then - fingers crossed. It always bugs me that they are so strict about han-luggage when you check in, then you can go and buy a zillion bottles of something in dutyfree!?!?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

You will be allowed to take it as hand luggage. Just get your partner to take it and you should be allowed it as well as the normal holdall. A woman is allowed a handabag so your partner could take the laptop instead. If you look on the website of the airline you are travelling with you should find it listed in the hand luggage allowance.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 1:00 pm
Badge

wear a jacket.....you're allowed.....

stick all the bits and pieces in the pockets...get a laptop bag big enough JUST for the pc nothing else...and not the gubbings/power supply etc. these bags are tiny- just handbags really.

tricks like these get you everywhere:

I once checked on to a business flight wearing 1 jacket, a goretex jacket, a padded jacket, stuffed with things - the last jacket even covered a tiny daysack I was wearing underneath - OK so I was sweating like the proverbial and I looked like the hunchback of notre dame, but still!! If you are fit and trim theres no reason why you shouldnt do this - what about the bloke behind you who is an international prop or obese - he still gets to check in doesn't he?

(I was looking at the Commercial Pilot Loading manuals for air transport planning ops the other day and legally airlines allow x amount of kilos per person for weight. It was funny for a flight in Aus when we calculated we only had 15kg per person, and no, Dan couldn't take his surfboard! We were up to our limit so we even paced the width of the runway and taxi areas to check we had sufficient take-off distance - we were going to take off across the runway as the cross wind didnt allow us to use the runway itself.. ;-)don't know what these are for big planes though. There is also the question of weight you carry versus weight that can shift around in the hold - alter the plane's centre of gravity etc but most of the extra gear you carry on is held in situ in the overhead bins...)

amazing what you get away with...put a bit of spunk in to picking up your carry on and they may not notice it is grossly overweight -another bag put down against the desk will often pass unnoticed as well...

!!!!

amazing what you can do!

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 30th 2003 at 1:05 pm.

Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

http://www.excess-baggage.com