Excess Baggage

Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excess Baggage

Just a quickie - anyone out there know what excess baggage charges are. I am going with Cathay P. Is there a limit. I am only allowed 20 kgs as I had to use up my immigrant's allowance on validation.

Cheers

Elaine

Adelaide bound 1 August
Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excess Baggage

Originally posted by grubelice
Just a quickie - anyone out there know what excess baggage charges are. I am going with Cathay P. Is there a limit. I am only allowed 20 kgs as I had to use up my immigrant's allowance on validation.

Cheers

Elaine

Adelaide bound 1 August
Hi Elaine

I don't know what Cathay charge but Malaysian Airlines charge £30 per Kilo.

You may want to send the rest wither with your container company as air frieght or with The Excess Baggage Company ( http://www.excessbaggage.co.uk/ ).

Cathay will answer this if you call them on 020 8834-8888 or 020 8745-7731 ( http://www.cathaypacific.com/uk/cont...al/0,,,00.html )

Cheers

Terry

Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Terry. Phew - that is expensive. I will explore the other options. I thought I might sneak on a bit extra into by suitcase.

Cheers
Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Terry. Phew - that is expensive. I will explore the other options. I thought I might sneak on a bit extra into by suitcase.

Cheers
Hi Elaine

You may well be able to get away with 25-26Kg if you are lucky. It just depends on a) How early you check in (the earlier the better) and b) how amenable the check-in assistant is.

Best of luck

Terry
Old Jul 5th 2003, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by terryg
Hi Elaine

You may well be able to get away with 25-26Kg if you are lucky. It just depends on a) How early you check in (the earlier the better) and b) how amenable the check-in assistant is.

Best of luck

Terry
Cheers Terry

Just rang up Cathay (thanks for then number) and yes it's 31 quid a kilo but the genetleman said you can probably get away with 5 or 6 extra and then pay excess on anything over say 26 kilos.

Elaine

Old Jul 6th 2003, 8:24 am
Just Joined

scuttle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Excess Baggage

Cheers

Elaine

Adelaide bound 1 August
Hi there just curious what the immigrants allowance is? We are Adelaide bound for the 28th of Jan next year!!!!

Cheers Joe
Old Jul 6th 2003, 8:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Most (but not all) airlines will do an extra baggage allowance for a migrant visa. Can be as much as 40 kilos instead of 20. They all have different rules though - like Qantas, who apparently only do the extra now if you book direct (which was an extra £200!) I opted for Cathay, £200 cheaper, and gave me 40 kilos.
Check with the travel agent, and with the airline. Usually has to be a one-way ticket, and you have to send a copy of the visa for each person claiming the allowance.
Old Jul 6th 2003, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Or just fly via the US and get the standard 2 x 32kg per person...

Ben