Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Excess Baggage $$ saver

Excess Baggage $$ saver

Old Apr 16th 2003, 6:32 am
Just Joined

bobinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Excess Baggage $$ saver

If you have excess baggage, keep the heavy items out of your suitcases and put them into bags small enough to fit in an overhead locker.

When you check in, don't declare these bags - leave them with a friend or out of sight of the check in steward.

As long as you aren't trying to board with a huge suitcase, they aren't interested in your hand luggage when you board the plane - people often have extra if they've bough duty free etc. Even if they decide your bags are too big, they will check them into the hold from the gate where they aren't interested in excess baggage charges.

Only inconvenience is carting around heavy hand luggage to the gate or if you have a stopover.

Cheers,
Bob
Old Apr 16th 2003, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - I walked through Adelaide Airport carrying a small bag that weighed 16 kilos (very heavy books) nonchalently slung across my shoulder trying hard to maintain my willowy walk and I didn't get stopped by the Gestapo - girl in front of me did though as she kept putting hers down. Mind you I had bad bruises on my shoulder afterwards and it was definitely lower than the other when I got back to London.

Thanks for all the advice about unaccompanied baggage - sounds a good option.

Elaine
Old Apr 16th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I can never understand why fat people don't have to pay more.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 1:31 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
Thats not very PC ... maybe you could suggest burning a few women on steaks or getting slaves to carrying the baggage as well ?!
A rather large rugby player!
Old Apr 16th 2003, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah - I wondered that as well. There should be some sort of sliding scale that don't pay for excess if you weigh below, say, 11 stone. Worse is being stuck between two very fat people on flight - I was last time London to Sinkapore where either side of me the passengers were wedge into the seat and overflowing into mine. I felt very sorry for them as they could not move an inch as it was such a tight fit. Obviously I couldn't move either and didn't even dare ask the lady gangside to move more than once as it was such a palaver. So always ask for an aisle seat now.

Elaine
Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:48 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Snitzy
Thats not very PC ... maybe you could suggest burning a few women on steaks or getting slaves to carrying the baggage as well ?!
A rather large rugby player!
Well why not have a combined luggage/ personal weight allowance. After all we paid the same price for the ticket, why shouldn't we carry the same weight on board the plane? Let's say 100Kg so a person weighing 100Kg gets no baggage allowance, and a person weighing 65Kg gets a 35Kg allowance. That would really give you an incentive to get in shape before that holiday, extra baggage allowance!
Old Apr 16th 2003, 4:42 pm
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by bored_bean
Well why not have a combined luggage/ personal weight allowance. After all we paid the same price for the ticket, why shouldn't we carry the same weight on board the plane? Let's say 100Kg so a person weighing 100Kg gets no baggage allowance, and a person weighing 65Kg gets a 35Kg allowance. That would really give you an incentive to get in shape before that holiday, extra baggage allowance!
I for one wouldn't be allowed any lugguge allowance infact I would have to cut something off under your regime to be able to take my seat. No doubt you will want me to trim 5 inches off both legs to be under 6foot as well !? Or pay a height tax.
But as for being over 100kg meaning not in shape I work out and play semi pro rugby.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by etlniwd
meanie.
made me laugh though
Old Apr 16th 2003, 10:18 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Snitzy
I for one wouldn't be allowed any lugguge allowance infact I would have to cut something off under your regime to be able to take my seat. No doubt you will want me to trim 5 inches off both legs to be under 6foot as well !? Or pay a height tax.
But as for being over 100kg meaning not in shape I work out and play semi pro rugby.
What I'm saying is that we are being charged on the weight of the baggage we carry. It makes sense since more weight=more fuel= more money. What I'm saying is that it would be more equitable to pay for the TOTAL weight that we bring on board, not just the baggage. I'm not discriminating against anyone. As for your height, it doesn't cost any more as long as you squeeze into a normal size seat.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:17 pm
Beyond Redemption

Originally posted by bored_bean
What I'm saying is that we are being charged on the weight of the baggage we carry. It makes sense since more weight=more fuel= more money. What I'm saying is that it would be more equitable to pay for the TOTAL weight that we bring on board, not just the baggage. I'm not discriminating against anyone. As for your height, it doesn't cost any more as long as you squeeze into a normal size seat.
Oh I'm sorry I thought you were being sizeist and bigoted ! I didn't realise it was all about money. One thing though maybe you should get it out of your system before you get to Oz as you may be considered a whinging POM by the locals and give us all a bad name.
Anyway if it's any help I work for a freight company and am prepared to offer a discounted price for all your shipping needs to compensate me using more fuel then most.