Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

An example of Australian standards in plumbing

An example of Australian standards in plumbing

Old May 6th 2007, 6:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default An example of Australian standards in plumbing

I took these two shots of the inside of the bathroom cupboard that is at the head of where our bath will be: the unit is the mixer. In a space of about 70cm the licenced plumber has:

Burnt the wall of the cabinet
Managed to fit the two escutchions back to front
Use about six short lengths of copper
Used three bits of torn cardboard as spacers
Fit the mixer well off vertical
Generally make a complete dog's breakfast of a simple piece of plumbing, and an expensive cabinet into the bargain

Any prospective emigrant plumbers out there - make sure you can meet Australian standards before you bother applying. I am not joking.
Attached Thumbnails An example of Australian standards in plumbing-under-cupboard-1.jpg   An example of Australian standards in plumbing-under-cupboard-2.jpg  
Old May 6th 2007, 6:38 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An example of Australian standards in plumbing

Originally Posted by Wol
I took these two shots of the inside of the bathroom cupboard that is at the head of where our bath will be: the unit is the mixer. In a space of about 70cm the licenced plumber has:

Generally make a complete dog's breakfast of a simple piece of plumbing, and an expensive cabinet into the bargain

Any prospective emigrant plumbers out there - make sure you can meet Australian standards before you bother applying. I am not joking.
sorry wol but ive just pi#$%d myself. thats a shocker. im a spark and i see a total lack of pride in work every day.i just cant understand how people can leave work like that. i wouldnt be able to sleep. i hope you pulled him up although you probably got the " it works doesnt it" response.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:42 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I took these two shots...
Shocker...!!!
Old May 6th 2007, 6:42 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73
sorry wol but ive just pi#$%d myself. thats a shocker. im a spark and i see a total lack of pride in work every day.i just cant understand how people can leave work like that. i wouldnt be able to sleep. i hope you pulled him up although you probably got the " it works doesnt it" response.
That's the real dysfunctionality of the place: in so many there's a complete lack of pride in doing the job well, and an utter lack of ambition to do things better - or even acceptably.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The windows are another joke - at least to others. The window order was about$46k - and half the glass had visual flaws making the outside wobble as you moved your head.

"Meets Australian standards" says the supplier, though he did change three units.

We've had excellent tilers, electrician, gyprockers so it's not all bad news!
Old May 6th 2007, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You think that's bad, we bought some new light fittings yesterday and when my OH went to put them up he discovered that not only was the earth wire not connected to anything but the live and neutral wires were both connected to live inside
Old May 6th 2007, 6:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wendy
You think that's bad, we bought some new light fittings yesterday and when my OH went to put them up he discovered that not only was the earth wire not connected to anything but the live and neutral wires were both connected to live inside
OMG! You didn't attempt the task of connecting an electrical fitting without a couple of years' training and a diploma, I hope? I shudder to think of the number of times I've cheated death and a long jail term by putting up a fan or extending a power line in the past...
Old May 6th 2007, 6:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase that always makes me cringe is "meets Australian standards". IMHO Australian standards are so low that its not diffocult to meet them.

Wol, I'd like to say I'm surprised, but sadly after 4 years here, I'm not.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
OMG! You didn't attempt the task of connecting an electrical fitting without a couple of years' training and a diploma, I hope? I shudder to think of the number of times I've cheated death and a long jail term by putting up a fan or extending a power line in the past...

My OH is a licenced sparky and thankfully has some standards
Old May 6th 2007, 6:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway, are there any plumbers on here who can tell me who to contact to take a gander at the standard of plumbing in my build? If it's "Up to Australian Standards" I'll have to accept it - and book my ticket.
Old May 6th 2007, 6:58 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

You evidently didn't feed his horse enough grain when it was tied up outside your place...

S
Old May 6th 2007, 6:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The phrase that always makes me cringe is "meets Australian standards". IMHO Australian standards are so low that its not diffocult to meet them.

Wol, I'd like to say I'm surprised, but sadly after 4 years here, I'm not.
I *did* harbour the faint hope that it was just NSW - or more specifically, the Highlands - but you've squashed that!
Old May 6th 2007, 7:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Anyway, are there any plumbers on here who can tell me who to contact to take a gander at the standard of plumbing in my build? If it's "Up to Australian Standards" I'll have to accept it - and book my ticket.
I'd be interested to know how you get on with that Wol. That work looks utterly appalling.

My dad taught me the rudiments of plumbing, and I know for a fact that I could make a better job than that...

In fact, probably so could my mum.

Or a swarm of locusts.

S
Old May 6th 2007, 7:18 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
My OH is a licenced sparky and thankfully has some standards
There's just no comparison in the Uk standards to the OZ standards imo.

Paul has just completed his Restricted electrical course at college. Even his mentor was brought over from the UK to learn them the UK way of doing things. He said it was a doddle and a waste of good money.
Old May 6th 2007, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
There's just no comparison in the Uk standards to the OZ standards imo.

Paul has just completed his Restricted electrical course at college. Even his mentor was brought over from the UK to learn them the UK way of doing things. He said it was a doddle and a waste of good money.
Huh? Is that ""to teach them?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.