Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

exam sitting - wish me luck!!!!!

exam sitting - wish me luck!!!!!

Old Dec 14th 2003, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default exam sitting - wish me luck!!!!!

Hi all,
I've finally got to sit my trade exam tomorrow so I can (hopefully)
work here as a plumber!! I must say there seems to be a certain mentality here that the Aussies don't like employing the Poms. Are we taking away their jobs from them? I dont seem to get phone calls or letters returned/replied, and I don't think I'm a total ass!! Am I being too soft?!!!
Dan
Old Dec 14th 2003, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: exam sitting - wish me luck!!!!!

Hi,

Good luck in the exam. You`ll be fine.
have you managed to find any work
Old Dec 14th 2003, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Forgot to add, stick your email address on the forum.
When I am looking for a plummer I will then know where to find one!!!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dan the Plumber
Hi all,
work here as a plumber!! I must say there seems to be a certain mentality here that the Aussies don't like employing the Poms. Are we taking away their jobs from them? I dont seem to get phone calls or letters returned/replied, and I don't think I'm a total ass!! Am I being too soft?!!!
Dan
Good Luck mate, Didnt know you had to sit an exam, is that like a bridging thing to carry your qualifications over from UK? I expect I'll be doing it myself when I get to Perth, whenever that may be!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Dan
good luck

how about getting a job with a britexpat ?

cheers
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Forgot to add, stick your email address on the forum.
When I am looking for a plummer I will then know where to find one!!!
No worries!!
danali at iinet dot net dot au
Be glad to help!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by gwrees
Good Luck mate, Didnt know you had to sit an exam, is that like a bridging thing to carry your qualifications over from UK? I expect I'll be doing it myself when I get to Perth, whenever that may be!
Are you also a Plumber? Be glad to help out if you need advice etc when you arrive! The test is basically to show the licencing board that you actually are a plumber. I think is't pretty much the same for a lot of trades!
Cheers!
Dan
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:53 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

A bit of the question but do you have any more information on these exams? Is that not what the TRA is for???? My partner is a joiner, will he have to sit this exam too? Is it practical or theory??
Old Dec 15th 2003, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

How did you get on?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you also a Plumber? Be glad to help out if you need advice etc when you arrive! The test is basically to show the licencing board that you actually are a plumber. I think is't pretty much the same for a lot of trades!
Cheers!
Dan
Yes mate I am a Plumber, how did your exam go? Hope you passed ok. It would be great if we could keep in touch, I'll probably need all the help I can get when I arrive!!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:31 pm
Carol in Oz

Hi all,
Dan
Good luck with that!

Must find meself some pommy tradespeople as I think they are more reliable. Been waiting 1 month for a bathroom renovater to send me the quote and three weeks for a structural engineer to send his building report! (Roof beams coming adrift!!)

Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:42 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

Fit like Dan the man, Faye's partner here. Nae very guid wee computers & this internet malarky but this chat room is proving to be very helpful. Faye comes home and tells ma new stuff everyday that we did na ken from oor case worker.
Just wanted to say hope ur exam goes well. Have you been a plumber for long?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Dan
Don't worry about not getting replies to job applications, it's not common to get any sort or rejection letter. If you don't hear you didn't get it.

At the Uni. though, if you make it to an interview and you don't get the job you get a phone call explaining why you didn't get it.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 11:28 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

No replies to applications seems pretty much standard these days. Don't worry or lose heart just keep on plugging away. (pardon the pun).
Old Dec 15th 2003, 11:58 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi all,
Dan
Hope you passed!

There is a 'certificate' for everything! I am begining to think this is the only way to get employment?

In retail you have to have passed a 'Retail Course'

In aged care, an 'Aged Care' certificate

To work in a chemist (just serving behind the counter) you have to have a certificate

To be a pub 'bouncer' (crowd control) you have to have a licence and do a course (not quite me though)

To work in KFC-Maccys-Red Rooster you have to be under 16 years of age. (thats me out then!! lol)

To work in a coffee shop you have to have experience in 'coffee making (bets thats hard!!??)

If your a qualified electrician you have to sit exams and get a licence

And the list goes on.

They don't seem to take into account any qualifications or relevant experience that you have gained in the UK. As long as you have working experience in OZ or have the right certificate (gained in OZ) then your ok.

I know it's not the same with every profession, just the majority!!! and I know it's easy to get the certificate if you have the money and time to go to Tafe to gain it, but it's not something everyone expects when they arrive in OZ? Is it?
I just can't wait to get back to the UK and be able to get 'EMPLOYMENT' easily.

Last edited by janeyray; Dec 16th 2003 at 12:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.