British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Exam questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/exam-questions-754174/)

Bowlander Apr 7th 2012 11:32 pm

Exam questions

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I have posted this in the right place, apologies if I haven't.

I will just give you a bit of basic info about our situation before I ask my question, just to let you know where we are at.

OK, we are a family of four, me and my husband and our 2 sons, who are aged 12 and 14. We already have our Visa's and will be going to Australia at the end of the year to validate them.

My question/query is: are GCSE's worth anything in Australia? Would it be worth while staying in England for another 2 years until our eldest finishes his GCSE's as he is just about to start them. I don't want him to go through all the stress for nothing though.
I hope someone can shed some light on the whole Australian Exam situation, as it just baffles me and I don't really understand how it works.

Thank you. :)

OakTree Apr 7th 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Exam questions

Better for your son to do his years 10,11 and 12 in Australia. Year 10, not as important, but helps with the transition into years 11 and 12. Years 11 and 12 are particularly important as the final year 12 results will determine Uni entry. This is for VIC. Not sure about other states.

NickyC Apr 8th 2012 12:55 am

It's exactly the same in NSW. The Year 10 exams here (School Certificate) are worthless. Most employers would see GCSEs as a foreign equivalent of those.

The only exams that matter are the Year 12 exams (HSC in NSW, other names in other states) as they lead to Uni entrance.

quoll Apr 8th 2012 6:22 am

Either finish A levels in UK (not just GCSE) - they travel well for uni entrance or, as the others have said, be in Aus for years 11 and 12 at the very least (they wont stand him in very good stead if he decides to go to uni in UK but they will be better than nothing). GCSEs are irrelevant really unless he is planning a return to UK for further education. As long as they are here by the Jan when they are just 16 or just about to turn 16 (the dates depend upon the state you go to) then they will be fine.

Gems Apr 8th 2012 9:52 am

We decided not to bother with GCSE for our son. It was a difficult decision but we knew it was unlikely we would want to go back to the UK.
Our son used Year 10 to make friends and settle into Aussie life.
He did very well in Year 11 and 12 and is now at University.

If your planning on staying I would not bother with GCSE.
Hubby is a teacher so decision was not made lightly.

Gmes

Bowlander Apr 8th 2012 6:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply's, very much appreciated.

I agree ,it does seem like it would be best to move now, but unfortunately all our money is tied up in property and to be honest we didn't expect to get our Visa's so quick. I am not sure what we will do, but I am sure we will sort something out.

So they do exams at the end of year 12 and theses are called HSC?

Here the GCSE is done over a period of time, two years in some cases. Are the HSC's just taken at the end of the year?

Thanks again all.

quoll Apr 8th 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bowlander (Post 9995179)
Thank you everyone for your reply's, very much appreciated.

I agree ,it does seem like it would be best to move now, but unfortunately all our money is tied up in property and to be honest we didn't expect to get our Visa's so quick. I am not sure what we will do, but I am sure we will sort something out.

So they do exams at the end of year 12 and theses are called HSC?

Here the GCSE is done over a period of time, two years in some cases. Are the HSC's just taken at the end of the year?

Thanks again all.

No, it's quite different and it all depends on which state you go to - Aussies really arent that hung up on "exams" actually.

Some states allow kids to take some subjects in year 11 and have an examination process at the end of units of study, other states have a totally continuous assessment process and no "exams" at all, other states have a mixture. Only NSW calls its year 12 assessment the HSC (Higher School Certificate) the other states have their own names for them. The course for year 12 assessments takes 2 years hence the need for a child to have enrolled for year 11 (and not to miss any because sometimes the participation in a certain number of units is paramount to "passing" year 12.)

As long as you are here and enrolled before your son is just 16 or just about to turn 16 he will be fine. If you cant be here for him to start year 11 with his age cohort then think very carefully about leaving him in UK to get A levels even if you have to move.

Bowlander Apr 9th 2012 12:32 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9995219)
No, it's quite different and it all depends on which state you go to - Aussies really arent that hung up on "exams" actually.

Some states allow kids to take some subjects in year 11 and have an examination process at the end of units of study, other states have a totally continuous assessment process and no "exams" at all, other states have a mixture. Only NSW calls its year 12 assessment the HSC (Higher School Certificate) the other states have their own names for them. The course for year 12 assessments takes 2 years hence the need for a child to have enrolled for year 11 (and not to miss any because sometimes the participation in a certain number of units is paramount to "passing" year 12.)

As long as you are here and enrolled before your son is just 16 or just about to turn 16 he will be fine. If you cant be here for him to start year 11 with his age cohort then think very carefully about leaving him in UK to get A levels even if you have to move.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all that, it's really helpful, thank you. :) I guess I have a lot to think about.

We were thinking of either going to Perth, the husbands choice, or Adelaide which is my choice, but of course we will go where the work is. We aren't really in a position to be fussy at the moment .

If there is anyone out there that could enlighten me on either or both of those places, regarding secondary education, again I would be very grateful.:)