Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Exam certificates - do I need the originals?

Exam certificates - do I need the originals?

Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:14 am
Just Joined

sligorox is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Exam certificates - do I need the originals?

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me - I've had a quick search but haven't found the answer yet. I am off to Australia next month for a year (working holiday visa). I plan to look for temporary admin roles - I've got four or five years admin experience in the education sector.

Do I need to bring my original exam/degree certificates? I've made copies of them all, but if potential employers are likely to insist on seeing the originals then I guess I'll have to bring them, though I'd obviously really rather not if I can get away with it.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:33 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exam certificates - do I need the originals?

Originally Posted by sligorox
Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me - I've had a quick search but haven't found the answer yet. I am off to Australia next month for a year (working holiday visa). I plan to look for temporary admin roles - I've got four or five years admin experience in the education sector.

Do I need to bring my original exam/degree certificates? I've made copies of them all, but if potential employers are likely to insist on seeing the originals then I guess I'll have to bring them, though I'd obviously really rather not if I can get away with it.
Hi,

I don't imagine you'd need to bring the originals but certified copies might be advisable depending on the position you're going for. I'm going back to study post-grad. and just last week had to have my original UK degree certificate certified by the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre. It cost nothing and took five minutes for them to photocopy and stamp it. Perhaps something similar would be available to you in the UK?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

simfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nice

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
Hi,

I don't imagine you'd need to bring the originals but certified copies might be advisable depending on the position you're going for. I'm going back to study post-grad. and just last week had to have my original UK degree certificate certified by the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre. It cost nothing and took five minutes for them to photocopy and stamp it. Perhaps something similar would be available to you in the UK?
Hi,
I have a UK degree in Computing. however, I'm planning for a M.Sc in Computing in Australia once our PR is approved. In this case, Do I need to certify my UK degree in melbourne by Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre or should I need certify it with British High Commission. What are the Australian requirements? any ideas please
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:41 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simfaisal
Hi,
I have a UK degree in Computing. however, I'm planning for a M.Sc in Computing in Australia once our PR is approved. In this case, Do I need to certify my UK degree in melbourne by Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre or should I need certify it with British High Commission. What are the Australian requirements? any ideas please
I'm by no means an expert in this area, but just offer my personal experience as a possible example. I would suggest you contact the Uni. you wish to study at here in Aus for their individual requirements. Good luck.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:04 am
Just Joined

sligorox is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks . I think I'll just wing it - if needs be I'll get my mum to post the originals to me. I know you can pay for certified copies of degree certificates etc from your uni, but it's quite expensive and I leave the UK in two weeks so it probably wouldn't come by then anyway.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:16 pm
locked in the attic

Originally Posted by simfaisal
Hi,
I'm by no means an expert in this area, but just offer my personal experience as a possible example. I would suggest you contact the Uni. you wish to study at here in Aus for their individual requirements. Good luck.
Forgot to add I'm also applying for a Masters and the Uni. have requested a transcript of grades from my UK degree as I've lost the original paperwork. Just something else to consider in your application.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

When our son came over with us 5 years ago he applied for uni here. He had to have the original A level certificates to send to QTAC to get them to approve his application before he could get a place in Queensland. I know they wouldn't accept just the grade slips you get when you pass A levels in the UK like British Unis do, he had to have the actual certificates in hand. This was quite tight for us because in the UK you get the results in August but the certificates aren't issued until November. By which time we were already in Oz and all the Aussie students had already applied. We had to get the certificates couriered across as soon as they were available. It was all fine in the end but I wouldn't bank on them accepting anything other than the originals without asking.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:36 am
Banned

Samoa will become famous soon enough

Hi
We had a similar situation when my son applied to Uni in Melbourne. He has a French Baccalaureate and when he applied online he only had the letter with his results not the certificate as there had been a mix up in France and it had been returned to the education department. He explained the situation to the Uni when he applied.
He was asked to have his result letter translated into English and was then offered a provisional place which would be permanent once he had obtained and copied his certificate. This took a few weeks battling with French Bureaucracy but he received the certificate and will now take it along to the enrolment day in July.
So from our experience the certificate is important here and they like it to be copied and certified (which we had done in our local shopping centre by the JP's. This is a free service as they are not allowed to charge for certifying documents, unlike most other countries. I think that is why Australia likes everything to be certified)
Samoa